RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this Memorial weekend I was towing a toy hauler weighing roughly 6200 lbs from San Diego area to Parker, Arizona. I was following a Tundra (no temp spikes at all) towing a little more weight than me and I found the following occurring on my truck:

2018 Ram EcoDiesel Crew Cab 4x4.
Speed: 60-70MPH
Oil temps: 230+ steadily (spiked at 260* once or twice)
Trans Temp: less than 181* steadily
Coolant Temps: 220*-240*ish steadily
3.55 gearing
35X12.5X17 Toyo Ridge Grapplers
Outside temperature on average was 100*+ for most of the way
A/C was at 2-3 notch at all times (unless I was trying to cool the engine down)
Truck has a 7900LBS towing capacity as it sits

The issue i had was all fluids and the transmission were (IMO) within safe temperatures except the oil temps... that had me worried quite a bit, but the engine would be okay temp wise then spike up to the 3rd notch on the gauge. I would have to turn on the heater to cool the engine down. If it was a "steadily increasing" temperature I have the know how to cool the truck down by using the RPM's. However the truck would be okay one minute then the next minute I'm quickly turning the heater on to try and cool the engine down without going into limp mode. On the way back home I decided to tow at night and the outside temperature averaged 90* and the truck not once spiked in temps while I did go drive between 55-70mph with less uphill since i was going home there were more downhill sections.

Also I have a brand new engine with less than 1000 miles on it which includes a new turbo and EGR cooler. The coolant doesn't seem to be too dark from the long drive. My Bearings went out on my truck at 49,000 miles and i'm currently at 50000 (1000) on the new engine.

anybody have any insight as to why the engine temperature would go from normal to notch 3rd in a split second?

I've towed many times in the past in the same scenario and never had these types of problems. Thank you for your response.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
Welcome to forum. After 266 oil or 244 water the engine will start to pull fuel etc to protect itself. Tall & heavy tires and 3.55 are not helping. Limit it to 3k on climbs will help. An SLT honeycomb style grill has been proven to help. It has on my truck as well. In the first generation 14-19 these trucks put the intercooler in front of the radiator.

This may help on maintenance etc. Newb 4th gen dos & don'ts maintenance

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
The lack of cooling capacity to run wide open for extended periods is well known.

As far as comparing it to the tundra... i wouldn't expect an engine that makes 240 HP to keep up with one that makes 380 HP. I bet you got better fuel mileage than the tundra.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts