RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I stumbled on the forum by accident. I have been looking at one of these trucks to get into since I saw an add in Feb diesel Power mag.

I did not know I was going to be this wordy when I got started, sorry to bore you!

I finally got to test drive one by following it to a dealer on my way to Bandera from Houston, I live in Bandera, and work in Houston, and drive home every other weekend or so. I have been driving the brand except the one hiccup in 04 I traded my 99 Quad cab 4X4 for an 05 Fraud, F-250, after several tranny and performance related issues with 73000 miles on it it left me stranded in the Dodge dealer in December 06. I still have my 04 Dakota, the 06 Cummins, an 08 ram 1500, and now this truck I ordered April 21, and took delivery of May 23. I ordered the Laramie, as it did not have the gold trim, and it did have 2 tone paint Granite and silver, although I wanted black as the lower color, maybe this will grow on me before I decide to paint it black. The only options I did not want were the leaky sunroof, and the cracks around the ram boxes. The items I wanted and did not get were the wheels like on the limited, they said I could order but they didn't order when the time came, and the power folding trailer tow mirrors, that I did not know I could order. I have almost 3000 miles on it most running near empty, I keep my back seat full of stuff, guitar, amp, a stool, hey you never know when a jam session may break out, any way I have towed my boat a 21' stoker sst, and the tractor, a 5000# international, with the brush hawg, this thing is awesome! The worst mileage I have got on a tank of fuel is 23.5, the worst average, while towing the tractor the average was closer to 19 mpg at about 100 miles on the tank, so I would say near the 19 would be a good guess. This past weekend I drove from Pasadena headed to Bandera, the normal route around 1604 was under construction so I stayed on 10 to 90, and went up just the other side of SanAntone, when I got off of the freeway my average MPG for 200 miles was 30.3 highway, without any stops, after another 75 miles of farm to market roads hills and twists when I pulled into my driveway, the average for 275 miles was 28.5. I drove to town, and did some shopping filled the tractor up with fuel, and the truck as well, the average in the truck at 363 miles was 26.4, on paper it was 26.3, so the lie-ometer was real close to the actual figures, I call it that because my 06 2500 may say 18 mpg and I calculate it at fill up and really it is 14.5 or so. I will try to post better pics as I take some.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
First off, welcome to the community! :)

Next, let's dispel a couple rumors...neither the sunroof nor the RAMBoxes leak. ;) In fact, RAM has dunked a truck upside down in a large pond to prove this point. The test was working very well until the tester, strapped into the front seat, lowered the driver's window to tell the team there were no leaks. At which point the truck flooded and sank. Good news is the diesel was unharmed and started right up after being retrieved from the pond. (I may have made this up...)

...and finally, the "power folding trailer tow mirrors" are an urban legend - they don't exist. You can either have power folding (standard on Laramie and above) or have manual folding trailer tow mirrors, affectionately known as Dumbo Ears (yes, I just made that up). But these only fold if you extend your arm, grasp said mirror in your hand, and firmly pull them in by contracting your own muscles. :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Welcome to the forum, congrats on your great purchase!!! Glad to hear you are using it as a truck aswell!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are putting your truck to good use. As a reward you are knocking down some good mpg readings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts