RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

long time ford owner here, figured i'd join to find out some info on the ram diesels. I usually drive a 2009 F150 with the 4.6L 3v, and have a 1990 Bronco as a hobby vehicle. The F150 has been pretty good to me, but its getting up there in age, and there have been vast improvements in engine power (but not mileage...) so i've been thinking about upgrading. It seems like most of the trucks theses days get about the same mpg as my truck, but the ram diesel blows them all away. Even with the higher fuel costs, i'm thinking i could save $600-$1000 a year in fuel. The most I tow is about 5000lbs, and that is only a couple of times a year, so I don't really need a 3/4-1 ton. Though a cummins with a 6 spd stick would be a dream truck for me. The 1500 seems like it would be a good mid point between what i need and excessive power and payload.

Like I said though, i'm a ford guy, going to Dodge (well Ram i guess now... :rolleyes:) is going to be quite the leap of faith.

I do believe i will be test driving one of these rams once they become available. :cool:

Lets hope this forum takes off!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I was a Ford owning back in my younger days, owning a 87 F250 with a 6.9 and a 91 F350 with a 7.3. The transmission issues with my E4OD and money issues turned me to smaller cars, and since then, everything I have owned have been Mopar (Dodge Neon, Caravan, Caliber, and Jeep Liberty Diesel).

The Ram with the VM diesel is a great concept for those like me. Wants a truck for doing homeowner stuff, wants decent fuel economy, and wants some power to tow with.

I hope you find what you're looking for, and best of luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome! I'm a fan of the F-150's as well, its an excellent truck. In all honesty you really can't go wrong with a RAM. They are awesome trucks and I'm not just saying that because I'm an admin on this site. Friends and family all own them and not one of them has ever complained. They all love their RAMS and have nothing but great things to say about them. You'll be a happy customer :) Welcome to the RAM side and enjoy the site!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Kask up there in Calgary Flames land, welcome, and my only advice would be to be sure to drive a Ram or Jeep with the 3.0 diesel. We can discuss all the specs, the pros and cons, the suspension, the packages, the different rear ends, how we will use them, what we drove, why we want or like the Ram...... All this is fun and the point of the forum, to share opinions, facts, and knowledge.
When I drove the Jeep with the diesel and 8 speed last month, I had a fair idea that the truck would be a market changer, and more than that, I would like it.

Go drive one. I think you'll find a wealth of folks experience here, many have had trucks, all brands, gassers and diesels, so everyone has a voice.

This pushing of the envelope by the manufacturers to achieve the mandated fuel economy, is like watching a sporting event unfold.... or a story.... .Ford is going at it with smaller forced induction gas motors (2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost).. now an aluminum body truck, with lighter weight by 700 pounds.

The Ram 1500 is certain trim pushes a weight of 6,000 pounds, but ram is taking the gamble on the diesel..... and as good as the motor is, the transmission is as good or better.

Ford has the 3.2 inline 5 diesel, but it does not make the power of the VM L630 V6 in the Ram. Nissan putting the 5.0 in the Cummins, but Cummins is like a high dollar free agent, waiting to sign with the next team..... so it is rumored that Cummins may yet partner with more than just Nissan, GM?

So interesting, and also exciting times out here in truck land.....seeing how each company creates and markets their product.

I like the F150, almost bought one, I think the aluminum body will be a winner, if they offer it with the 3.5 ecoboost and 5.0 coyote motor as optional motors, that would even be better.

I think for economy, utility, quality, the Ram will be a package that is hard to beat.

Marsman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, it is an interesting time for trucks. I think we are going to see all manufactures offering a diesel if the ram takes off:
Ford has their 3.2 that they are putting in their vans. hp/tq have not been released, but the euro version numbers are less than the 3.0 in the ram.
Nissan is offering the 5.0L cummins, and i've heard rumors that this might even be a 3/4 ton
GM owns half of VM (fiat owns the other half), and apparently the 3.0L was originally intended for Euro-spec Cadillac, and was possibly the silverado/sierra in the future, but bankruptcy cancelled those plans. Now they are talking about a 4.5L diesel they were developing years ago.

I think the 2015 looks ugly, I think Nissans are overpriced pieces of garbage, and my whole family have had horrible experiences with GM. One of my friends had the whole engine replaced on his pontiac car under warranty, and he now drives a ram. His only complaint is that the dash rattles a little bit. So i'm thinking a ram is going to be the next truck i'll own. I just worry about switching because my truck has been pretty good to me. It's almost 5 years old, 120k km on it (75k miles) and i've only had 2 non-warranty problems with it; the most expensive of which was $400.

And then I have silly thoughts like i should just use my Bronco as a truck and buy some cheap pos car to drive when i don't need a truck. But then i'm driving some pos. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts