RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
DrzSimon
The wire damage could have happened on install. But as to you original comment regarding -20C. That is not cold at all for these trucks in my experience. My '15 sees that overnight all the time and it is only recently that I started putting on the winter front reliably. Where I live it get's down to -29C often and it always starts and always runs fine.

I would say that you have a good dealer there, they could have given the truck back to you but someone knew that wasn't the right thing to do and they kept on looking till they found at least a reasonable possible cause.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
How does a truck with 300km have a chafed wire??
As mentioned above, it probably happened during assembly. Keep in mind these trucks roll off the assembly line over 60 an hour. A lot goes on on the assembly floor, if a problem doesn't present itself when it rolls through quality control at the end then it's up to the dealer to fix when something doesn't work

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes I understand all that, just makes me wonder what else they could have messed up in the assembly and can I trust this truck? But I agree the dealer so far is holding up their end and I hope that this issue is resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
You can "What if?" all day long and there really is no answer. This goes for any auto manufacturer. There have been many people that have reported some problem early on that was resolved and are still driving the vehicle many years later with no problems since.
Before SHAP was building the 1500s, both Ford and GM had some of the fastest assembly plants out there, FCA had to expand to catch up. Dearborn truck, home of the F150 builds in the order of 350K per year that is 40/hr if they ran 24/7 for 360 days a year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes you are correct , I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all. That wire was most likely only installed or touched by one person. In general RAM has a pretty good first year reliability rating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well my 2020 did something similar and it sat at the dealer for 2 weeks and it turned out to be the fuse box right by the battery burnt out literally melted and it also happened when the truck sat out in -5 weather.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Thanks for the update. Now do it again.

Run the thing a while and if sure the problem is corrected, report that back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DrzSimon, whatcha lookin' at! Over there to your right? Just curious.

On topic, I bought my Ram this last Friday and drove it home to get my wife so we could retrieve the SUV that I left at the dealer. She was driving my Yukon home and I was in the Ram and we hit traffic. Right around the time I realized the off-gassing of the rubber floors and Vegan leather were giving me a headache I started to smell a burning smell coming through the vents. The truck must have only had about 90 miles on it at that point.

I got it home and haven't driven it since. I hadn't heard about recalls, fires, tunes, or this website. Actually, I thought the burning smell was just the new-ness burning off under the hood. It went away. I got home and started looking for OEM style upgrades I could do like tow mirrors, fender guards, HID headlights and so on. I posted about it on Moparts.org, a musclecar forum and was told about this website. After about two minutes of being a member of this site I decided that I was going to drive it as little as possible until I can delete the EGR and get a tune.

You can imagine the wife thought I was full of Shiite when I told her I have to spend $1000+ on the truck to make it "run right" and she couldn't drive it with the kids in it until I get it sorted. She's heard this before since I have a 1970 'cuda. I've used similar lines like, "Yes Honey, the T56 and the supercharger is needed. It won't run right otherwise."

·
Registered
61 Posts
If I had a problem with a two day old truck and it wasn’t easily driveable to get it to them, I damn well make them come to my house and get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there, did you buy a 2020?

It is a 2019 Ram Eco Tradesman, crew, 2wd. It was leftover and they slashed the prices big time to move them out. I don’t even know if the dealers do recall work before they sell it or just sell them and let the customer find out about recalls on their own. In my mind they should make them right before they sell them but I guess the priority is to sell the vehicle and could care less that it has a recall at the time of sale and don’t even tell the customer after they hand over the keys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
As far as I know the 2020s don’t have these issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
My Brother has 180000km on his 2014 ecodiesel no issues...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ok The truck is back... I have now done over 400km and all is good. The tech wrote a book on all the things he checked but in a nutshell he discovered that the crankshaft wiring harness had rubbed through the protective outer casing. The harness was too long and the front driveshaft yoke was hitting the harness. The affected circuit was k853.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DrzSimon: You did say that things went bad once you went from 4WD to 2WD. Maybe there was an actuator/arm that was against the harness? Fix the wire and zip tie it properly. Should be fine for a long long time.

JP80: As for the 2019 Trademan, call your dealer immediately to get that truck in for a complete verification of all active recalls and confirm that they did not sell you it with an open recall (VB1 is the specific one of most importance). I find it hard to believe that they would have. While even I would have a hard time believing that your "Classic" has a faulty EGR Cooler already, you just do not know -- because it is only a matter of time.

This is what happened to my 2015 on January 03, 2020 (granted, with 136K miles) -- I had 90 seconds from the time the truck stopped and I smelled smoke until there was fire under the hood -- photo taken less than 4 minutes from the first smell of smoke:

Thanks to this forum, I was aware of the problem and knew to expect less than 2 minutes between smoke and FIRE.

Thank God my family was not with me. What I can tell you is that no matter how prepared you think you are -- you are not going to be prepared for this to happen to you. My daughter was not there, but she still cried herself to sleep that night in terror. There is never an ideal time for a 'thermal event,' which is what FCA calls it.

Talk to your insurance company now.

And before you even start that truck again, check the degas (coolant overflow) bottle:

Check it with the engine cold. It needs to be above the seam in the plastic. This is the absolute low point. You will need special coolant, too.

This last picture shows it to the fill mark when cold. Note that this bottle is 50/50, no mixing.

Today, right now, I would not let any member of my family operate or ride in anything less than a Gen3 2020 ecodiesel.

Researched for 2 years prior to buying the truck... drove it over 40K miles in 16 months. My son plays travel hockey. The truck had a purpose. I loved getting 28+mpg before the AEM flash and this was the best riding truck I have ever been in (air suspension). After the AEM, I lost 3-5mpg and of course added the lag issues when cold. I wonder how much that flash might have aggravated the EGR Cooler situation. We likely will never know.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ok The truck is back... I have now done over 400km and all is good. The tech wrote a book on all the things he checked but in a nutshell he discovered that the crankshaft wiring harness had rubbed through the protective outer casing. The harness was too long and the front driveshaft yoke was hitting the harness. The affected circuit was k853.

Great Quality Control. Very likely will happen to someone else. Glad to hear you got your truck back and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Classic SLT
8 Posts
Hey Guys, so I pulled the trigger on a 2020 ecodiesel rebel . Beautiful truck! But drove it home on Thursday about 130km to the dealer all was great the next morning tried to go for a ride and it looks like the truck is going into limp mode. The reader spits out 24 error codes all look sensor related. Now it was -20 Celsius below Thursday and Friday I did not put the front cover on until Friday morning. So I was advised to put the truck into warm garage over night did that and same thing. Any advice? I will take it in to the dealer on Monday but it’s 130km away and the truckwon’t go very fast.

View attachment 85233 View attachment 85234
I feel your pain my friend.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Glad it's fixed. In my experience, it's the wiring and ground issues that can be the hardest to diagnose.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts