RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Born and raised here in Erie, PA. I drive a 05' Duramax with 195,000. It Has been truck but time for something new. I'm really a Chevy guy but the Ram just has much better options. I told my self I would buy from whoever came out with a 1/2 ton diesel first. I am glad it wasn't Ford.
I tow a 6,500lb boat on two 1,200 mile trip plus two 600 mile trips each year. Other than that I maybe only tow another 200 miles of other stuff.
My Duramax tows the boat at 75mph through the mountains and I average 15mpg. My buddy with the same truck but the 6.0 gas gets 6mpg. I'm hopeful this truck will get 18-21 towing and 25-28 average unloaded.
I'll be looking to build a Outdoorsman in March or April. Still try to narrow down my wants and needs list.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think when the truck is unloaded, 25-28mpg will be the avg. I'm not sure it will be able to get close to 18-21 while towing.. I sure hope so though!!

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nail, welcome to the forum, I am about 100 miles south in Mars Pa, and I go up to Erie steelhead fishing regularly as I can, and the Presque Isle in the summer. Welcome. Like you I had a Duramax, 2008, good truck, and the used 2011/2012s are good values... My whole family used the duramax... I later bought this 2006 Ram in the picture, but sold to my nephew... so like you, I am in the market for half ton diesel. Good luck, and maybey we'll see you at Joe Roots or at the lake some time. Marsman

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
marsman, we boat on lake Erie when ever the sun is shining. I don't do much fishing anymore just mostly spending days on the beach and the water with the family. good food at Joe Roots, if your in the mood for pizza Steve O's has really good deep dish. not as good a real Chicago deep dish but close.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nailem! Home of the GE Locomotive Factory over there!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always was but they are laying off 500 and moving to Texas

·
Registered
10 Posts
welcome. I too was born and raised in Erie, (up on 38th st) went to Academy, but living in WV in the summer. Fish lake erie for perch and walleyes. usually put in at Conneaut with my brother in law who lives in Mosiertown. Jerry Dearbeck

·
Registered
279 Posts
OK Jerry 38th, a friend lives off West lake and 12th, he is a steelhead guide up there, and we used to go to the greek church fest every year, it's the same time as our anniversary.
Part of my thinking with the Ram 1500, is Steelhead fishing trips from Mars where we live, it's 100 miles up there, and I usually drive another 50-100 when I am up there, and 100 miles home... Driving the Ram diesel would not be too bad on fuel for that run, plus it's a nice big, and comfortable vehicle.

Used to take my Duramax, but the ram should get legitimately 7-8 mpg better than my 2008 Duramax,

Welcome to the site.
Terry O
Marsman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts