RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to the site, I live about 25 miles North of Pittsburgh Pa, in Mars, (I am the Mayor of Mars)

I have been looking/ waiting for the little 3.0 VM A630 for a while. Then reading Cummins is putting the 5.0 V8 in the Nissan Titan, and talking to a Cummins executive, I almost convinced myself the Cummins was the way to go.

I had a 2008 Chevy LTZ, Duramax, great truck, and a 2006 Ram spiced up, with the 5.9. Both trucks were very very good, the 5.9 pulled harder, but the Duramax was a family favorite. I suppose if I could put the 2006 5.9 in a GM or Ford chassis, with an Allison Transmission, that would be a good rig..
I sold the Ram to my nephew who wanted the 2006 to modify (modify more than I had already).with no pollution stuff on the motor, the 2006 was a desirable year.
I like the capability, toughness of the 3/4 ton, but we decided not to get the big camper until retirement,
I would be towing my brother's boat, at about 3200 pounds, and I understand many vehicles of lighter duty will tow that weight, but I want a truck.

The Cummins is reported to be very strong, and I rationalized it this way, the Cummins approaches 3/4 ton diesel motor performance of 6-8-10 years ago. So the Cummins / Titan will be a runner, but do I need that much motor? I read the cummins is expected to be 23-24 mpg.

My family has a trucking business, and owned probably 8 or 10 of the Sprinter vans, with small diesel motors, and those motors worked pretty good. So the Ram with the VM 3.0 Ecodiesel I would expect would perform about the same as the sprinter vans...

Since I am not towing over 8000 pounds, this Ram with the little 3.0 may just fit the bill.

What do you all think? Looks like the Ram could be a good blend of economy, and utility, good for towing the boat, hunting, fishing, and with the economy, could even commute in it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Mayor of Mars is quite a title, we had better welcome you!

Yes, the Ram 1500 diesel looks to be a very versatile and efficient rig. It will be interesting to see all the things it does.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Repost???

Welcome. Were all hoping the new ram will fit the bill for a lot of people and fill the gap in the 1/2 ton segment.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All for the reply ! look forward to the trucks, I had some good information from a person very familiar with the Ram 1500, he said it is a solid truck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brick, try Cranberry Chrysler (ask for Egyptian Mark- great guy he was I tune with this a year ago.), and Deihl in Butler

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rams are solid trucks but remember the engine does the pulling. The ecodiesel is not a heavy tow engine. A lot of people are talking about towing 6000-9000lbs every weekend. A 4 door with ecodiesel will not do this. The engine is not made for that. The hemi is made for that. As long as we all know this the discussion here will be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fireboy, I agree, the marketing folks at Ford, GM and Ram, and Toyota put tow figures out there for half tons as if it really means much..... The max tow figures are only a number. My view of it is this, if I were towing weekly or even monthly, a trailer that weighs 8000 pounds or more, I would get a 3/4 ton period.
I had a 2008 LMM Duramax, and a 2006 Ram 5.9 modified, and the capabilities are better than a half ton.

A half ton is what it is, regardless if it has a hemi, an Ecoboost, or this little VM A630 diesel. The 5.0 Cummins in the Nissan Titan may change this, with an expected 550 lb ft of torque.

I think the 3.0 would pull 6000 pounds fine, but my belief is for towing more than 8K, get the 3/4 ton... and they barely work doing it. Many half tons are glorified grocery getters, some do work - firewood, some pull a boat, hunting and fishing trips. I plan to use the Ram for all of that, The main difference with the Ram will be the improved fuel economy -

·
Registered
89 Posts
Marsman-- I think that is pretty accurate. We are on the same page with the numbers. It will pull 6000lbs no problem. Just not everyday. Can't wait to get mine. If they keep dragging this out I might have to wait for the Titan diesel. Hahahaha. Just kidding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts