RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I stumbled across this today, and figure I would join. My name is Matt, and I am a railroad engineer from RI. I currently drive a Jeep Liberty with the VM 2.8l I4 diesel. I tow a 21 foot Rockwood Roo 21BH, and the thing tows as well as it can.

The Jeep has been modded with a Green Diesel Engineering tune for the engine and transmission, 2 micron fuel filter, boost/egt gauges, tansmission cooler, and boost hoses just to name a few. I bought the Jeep 2nd hand, and had to do some work on it due to the lack of maintenance from the previous owner.

The 1 problem towing with the Jeep is the gear selection. With the transmission tune, it is way better than stock, but I due wish for a 3rd and a 1/2 sometimes, since 3rd revs a bit and 4th lugs a bit. Also, the transmission does not hold the gear at WOT when I want it to hold, say at 2000 RPMs.

I am hoping, if it works out financially, to get a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the 3.0 VM Diesel this year. I made a chart comparing my Jeep and the Ram for RPMs at each gear while towing, taking into factor the different gearing and tire sizes, and I am liking what I am seeing.

I hope that if this Forum takes off, I can be a good contributor.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome Matt!!! Looking at your current set-up the 1500 will be an excellent truck for your needs. I posted a towing/mpg review of the 1500 Diesel (Laramie Long Horn 4x4) on the front page [HERE] Check it out. You'll be very pleased with the results. Enjoy the forums and thanks for dropping in!!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will check it out!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reminiscing on my first post. And the first post in the Intro section (exception to the sticky). I got myself a Big Horn instead of an Outdoorsman. But, I love the truck! Man, this site has come a LONG way in 2+ years.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
For a second, I thought we had ANOTHER choochooman !

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol Mcsap. We do have other railroaders on here, though. I don't think this forum can handle 2 of me

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
I thought the same. Had to look twice to see the 2013 date. LoL

Reactions: choochooman74
1 - 9 of 9 Posts