RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 PCs that I use with this forum. ALl have Windows 10 and all are automatically kept up to date via their automatic update system. I use Chrome to access the Forum.

I nornally open to the active topics page and scroll through and right click and then click on open in new tab for the series of threads I want to read and then I go through the threads and read them and close them as I go. I use the Chrome auto save feature for login. Up until 1-3 months ago whenever I did this my login carried over to the new opened thread in the new tab. Since then that no longer happens.

I am not sure if this is your issue, a Windows 10 issue or a Chrome issue.

Any ideas how to fix this minor annoyance?

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
I'm not the forum GURU, but I'll say my password does carry over to new tabs with Chrome. I am using windows 7 pro so can't comment on W10. I can check on my W10 laptop computer when I get back home.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not the forum GURU, but I'll say my password does carry over to new tabs with Chrome. I am using windows 7 pro so can't comment on W10. I can check on my W10 laptop computer when I get back home.
thx for info. Will be interested in your findings.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO this is amazing. This problem has been aggravating me for some time. Just before I posted the original comment on this thread I opened 5 threads and had the problem. When I replied to 97 above it did not happen and the login carried over. I will check my other computers over the next few hours.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
is it possible you were opening the new tab in Incognito? Those won't carry over log ins.
The other thing is to check the website settings in Chrome, click on the lock next to the web address.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When I’m logged in to the site and then leave,say i go to email, then I come back to the form I always have to log in again .IS THIS NORMAL ?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Howie,
I create my Win 10 shortcut to this forum's Active Topics using this path:
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/index.php?pageid=active_topics
I've never had the problem you describe. Hope this helps.

dieseldave,
When you go to "log in" check the "Save" box.
This will keep you logged in if you change to email, etc and then return to the forum.
If not, you have another problem. Maybe re-booting the PC will help.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
@dieseldave depending on which browser you use, some can be set to delete the cookies when you close the browser, that will log you out of the forum also.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Howie,
I create my Win 10 shortcut to this forum's Active Topics using this path:
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/index.php?pageid=active_topics
I've never had the problem you describe. Hope this helps.

dieseldave,
When you go to "log in" check the "Save" box.
This will keep you logged in if you change to email, etc and then return to the forum.
If not, you have another problem. Maybe re-booting the PC will help.
I tried your suggestion. Still no luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
dieseldave,

Then Crash68's idea makes a lot of sense.
If you are using Win 10, go to Settings and scroll down to Advanced. Then scroll down to Clear browsing data. Check that and adjust your settings accordingly.

Hope this helps. If not, I don't know what to suggest next.

·
Registered
458 Posts
dieseldave,

Then Crash68's idea makes a lot of sense.
If you are using Win 10, go to Settings and scroll down to Advanced. Then scroll down to Clear browsing data. Check that and adjust your settings accordingly.

Hope this helps. If not, I don't know what to suggest next.
i have no problem on my lap top. only with my Apple Ipad

·
Registered
777 Posts
I hate Apple!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my little laptop took a windows 10 update a day or so ago and everything is working fine and as normal now. The big laptop that I was using had a disk failure and is getting a new SSD as a replacement so I will see how it works when it comes back. I also noticed that chrome updated recently too so I guess the problem was one of them. I was having trouble with yahoo mail on chrome and that fixed itself too.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
The big laptop that I was using had a disk failure and is getting a new SSD as a replacement so I will see how it works when it comes back.
Unless the drive was replaced under warranty or a repair contract, you should have replaced the drive yourself. Other than possibly having to call Microsoft to get the Win10 install activated, answer a few questions and it loads itself.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unless the drive was replaced under warranty or a repair contract, you should have replaced the drive yourself. Other than possibly having to call Microsoft to get the Win10 install activated, answer a few questions and it loads itself.
a good friend of mine is doing it for me so it is 'free'. He has computer building skills and electrical skills and those are skills I do not have so much of so we exchange favors. ALthough I did replace the keyboard of my previous HP laptop myself and that went well. Drive had 3.6 years of running and statistics I saw showed the failure rate strats increasing after 3 years of running. Laptop was 5 years old but worth the $20 bucks for the SSD he had bought on a steep discount at Fry's. I am anxious to see how much quicker the SSD is.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more update. I got my repaired laptop back and had the initial problem again. I went through everything carefully and found that although Chrome synchronized well and updated my saved passwords but the autologin to this forum didn't work. My user name showed up and if I highlighted the password box it showed up and then I clicked login and all was well until next time. Then I found I had not checked the 'remember me' box and when I did so it worked properly. Then I got a notice to update Chrome which I did and the problem started all over. After looking I found the update of Chrome had lost the checking of the 'remember me' box.

ANyhow, I now know where to check quickly when this happens again.

Ref the SSD, amazing how quick it starts up and responds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts