RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel SLT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I took my 2016 ED to my local dealership and had my turbo replaced due to excessive oil blow by in to the air charge tube. They had it for over a month going back a forth with the warranty company ( Compass Extended Warranty) and finally got the go ahead and they removed the cab and replaced the turbo. Now when I start driving at lower speeds and at when I let off the throttle the air charge tube coming out of the intercooler burps ( 3 to be exact) and blows air out the air intake box. Once the motor warms up it tends to go away but does it every now and then. I took it back to the "stealership" and he tried to tell me it was normal. It did not do this before. It tends to stall the truck for a second then picks up. It also seems throttle response is worse than it was before and it just does not seem as powerful. It sounds like compressor stall to me, air pushing back against the turbo vanes. I'm looking for help here. I'm at a loss. This can not be good on a brand new turbo. What would cause this?

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Sounds perfectly normal its called compressor surge or turbo bark its extremely common with vgt turbos. The blow by was probably not an issue in the first place as ccv systems pass the crankcase gasses though the intake and ALL engines have blow by. When they installed the turbo they updated the ecm and maybe the tcm calibration which changed the vgt behavior some but is not an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I may try and take a video because it seems a bit excessive blow by. Do you think they may not have updated the PCM or TCM? I question this dealerships competency. I told them to change the oil since it was in and getting major maintenance done and I'm pretty sure they did not do it. This leads me to another question, would a GDE hot tune possibly fix the issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I may try and take a video because it seems a bit excessive blow by. Do you think they may not have updated the PCM or TCM? I question this dealerships competency. I told them to change the oil since it was in and getting major maintenance done and I'm pretty sure they did not do it. This leads me to another question, would a GDE hot tune possibly the issue?
Sorry possibly Fix the issue?

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,358 Posts
It also seems throttle response is worse than it was before and it just does not seem as powerful.
This leads me to another question, would a GDE hot tune possibly fix the issue?
The EPA approved tune from GDE will correct the throttle lag and power issues.
If you can find a pre-EPA GDE tuned ECM, it will fix the issues also but you'll have to use AlfaOBD to correct the VIN and injector codes along with swapping the ECM if you bring the truck in for service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. So just to be sure. While driving (just starting out) it is normal for the truck to try and stall 3 times while it "burps". I never had this problem before the turbo was replaced. It continues to do this until it actually warms up. Just concerned is all.

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
No it's not normal for the truck to try and stall 3 times. Even one attempt to stall wouldn't be normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine started barking not that long ago. I’m GDE EPA tuned. It didn’t do it originally but started doing it every so often now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm taking it back to the dealership on Tuesday. I'm just at a loss as to what causes this? I'm guessing the vanes are closed and air is pushing back against them? Are they supposed to be closed? I'm wondering what they could do to fix it? So what tells the vanes to open. Man I wish I had a trouble shooting tree like I do on aircraft.

·
Administrator
5,358 Posts
So what tells the vanes to open.
The vanes in the turbo are on the exhaust side. They are driven open/closed depending on boost demand. When the vanes are closed down the turbo is capable of building more boost at lower engine rpms, hence the name variable geometry. So when you step on the throttle the vanes close to help build boost faster then releasing the throttle opens the vanes and the path of least resistance for the built up boost is usually back through the inlet compressor wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trying to upload a MP4 video of the motor. What file formats will the thread take. I'm pretty sure MP4 is not one of them. I'll try and convert it but I just want to make sure what to convert it too. Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the original issue was excessive oil blow by in to the air charge tube. Hence they (the Local Dodge Dealership) diagnosed a faulty turbo charger. They changed the turbo. When they gave it back to me it started this problem of excessive air build up pushing back through the air intake. While driving and accelerating it wants to try and stall when this air is pushed back through the intake. At least they acknowledge the issue. They performed a relearn procedure it did not change anything. Now they are saying the intercooler needs to be replaced because the oil build-up is causing the air pressure to change. Any thoughts on this? Personally, I get the differential air pressure but it does not make any sense. Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My next question is: If the tech did not fill the turbo with oil before the initial start would the bearing possibly be ruined? It almost sounds like it is grinding or could it be where the excessive air build up hitting the vanes causing the grinding sound.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Oil in the charge tubes is normal. Really surprised they changed the turbo out due to this.

No need to replace the intercooler. If they suspect the fluid in it is causing an issue they can simply remove it and drain it.

Sounds to me like you need a better more knowledgeable service department.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Administrator
5,358 Posts
My next question is: If the tech did not fill the turbo with oil before the initial start would the bearing possibly be ruined? It almost sounds like it is grinding or could it be where the excessive air build up hitting the vanes causing the grinding sound.
The turbo bearings are pressure lubricated from the engine, the bearings will be filled with oil as soon as the engine is started.
It's possible the intercooler is restricted causing the issue, the tech should be able to look inside the intercooler.
Does the turbo "fart" sound similar to this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never heard it on an eco diesel before. Well until mine. But it only does it when I start driving initially and at low speeds while accelerating. It wants to bog down and almost stall.
I also agree on the service tech. Yeah like what is a new intercooler going to do? Why don't they just take it off and clean it. I'm pretty sure my warranty company probably will say the same thing. They already sent an inspector for the initial turbo change.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Invest in a good monitor personally I really like banks I dash 1.8 but there is a lot of good options. What you want to monitor is expected vs actual for the vgt position its possible the new turbo is sticking. Another possibly is the egr flow control valve or whatever its called at the moment is malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Yep, get a good monitor with data logging. You can compare VGT position warm v. cold. Among other parameters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts