RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I found this forum last night and have been reading here for hours.... I'm looking for a new (used) truck. 4x4 crew and have been only considering Hemis because that is what I have now, but I ran across an Ecodiesel at a local Ford dealership that has the options that I like and it seems reasonably priced.
It is a 2016 big horn with 46k miles. It looks like the previous owner added a sport style hood and different headlights. I just emailed the dealer asking for a carfax. What should I be on the lookout for? I drive 20 miles each way to work and tow a bass boat a couple times I month. We take lots of weekend road trips. Is the ecodiesel a good choice for me? Is it as reliable as the hemi?

The truck I'm considering.

https://www.billknightford.com/used------1C6RR7LM1GS205773?utm_source=cargurus.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cargurus_listings

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel the truck is very reliable. I owned a 2015 and now a 2018. My 2015 never had a dealer service (never needed a warranty claim) Had 70k miles when I traded for 2018.

However, I am sure you have read about bottom end engine failures on this forum. Many of us have gotten the GDE tune, however that is currently unavailable. There is a recent thread if you want to read all about that.

I have no idea if that is a good price for the truck you are looking at. However, I did a zip code search on the Ram Truck site based on the zip code of the dealer that has the truck you are looking at
Dealers within a 150 miles of that zip still have brand new 2018's. I would look at one of those, probably going to get a great deal. I bought my 2018 a year ago and got 14k off sticker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They have an AutoCheck available on the web site instead of carfax. It was a local (TAHLEQUAH) 1 owner truck and it looks like they put some additional money into it for hood, lights, wheels, tires, and running boards. Looks like they did the AEM update on May 3rd, and then probably received the money and traded it in. Go and drive it from a cold start to see if the AEM affected it any, you may not like the throttle response that some have had. 20 mile commute would just get it up to temp, so you are right on the edge of the short drive for these. Without GDE or some other tune, not sure it would be my pick.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Given all the emissions controls and AEM this and that...I'd consider one with a v6 gas engine instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts