RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 has been making this squealing noise for the last couple days. Starts making it within a few seconds upon startup, and hear it when idling after driving any distance. It sounds like it's coming from the fuel tank area, but I honestly can't tell, and I'm far from a mechanic. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File VID_20200627_135142~4.mp4

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure if there's a better way to attach a video so it doesn't have to be downloaded.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
first thing to look at it the exhaust flange ,
easy to spot and could save you the DEF injector wiring from melting ...
pretty commun lately

Broken Exhaust Bolt
there is a metal gasket that should go there , if a bolt is broken , just break the other 2 ,
it will make it easier to move the 2 parts around to give you access with a drill ,
remove the pressed in studs and put bolts and nuts .
just not as long as one dealer did for a members .... shisssh !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I just crawled under the truck and checked; all bolts are intact. Any other thoughts? Is there a recessed pump in the fuel or DEF tank?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
there is a lift pump in the fuel tank .( image here )

when you first wake the truck up with key or foot on brake you can here it "Hissss " ,it sends fuel thru the fuel filter ,
first pressure is around 85psi , then varies , and feeds the High pressure fuel pump ( HPFP ) under the hood , front of engine ,
passenger side , the HPFP is hidden under a cover and foam to eliminate noise ,
that HPFP pressurises the fuel to pressure up to 29,000 psi to feed injectors , going thru tubes called fuel rails .
whatever fuel not used is sent back to the fuel tank .
the pressurisation of the fuel heats it up , the lift pump in the fuel tank is cooled by fuel itself , when running tank under 1/4
the level of cooling of the +/- $500 lift pump is not optimal , reason it is recommended to fuel when you reach 1/4 level
if at all convinient .
those who run their trucks ALWAYS LOW reported : louder lift pumps , longer priming from the lift pump before the
first engine start of the day , before failures , also more noticeable symptoms when tank is low , and not so much
when tank is full..
if your sound is more of a whistle than a Hummm , it would be something else.
=========================

just listened to your 3 second video , pretty short to get a hint
sounds like a thin metal sheet rubbing on a turning part ...
too short to determine anything ..

before starting your engine , keep door open or window down , listen for the lift pump ,
is the noise is similar to what is bugging you , it is simply the sound of the lift pump .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a lift pump in the fuel tank .( image here )
View attachment 86780

when you first wake the truck up with key or foot on brake you can here it "Hissss " ,it sends fuel thru the fuel filter ,
first pressure is around 85psi , then varies , and feeds the High pressure fuel pump ( HPFP ) under the hood , front of engine ,
passenger side , the HPFP is hidden under a cover and foam to eliminate noise ,
that HPFP pressurises the fuel to pressure up to 29,000 psi to feed injectors , going thru tubes called fuel rails .
whatever fuel not used is sent back to the fuel tank .
the pressurisation of the fuel heats it up , the lift pump in the fuel tank is cooled by fuel itself , when running tank under 1/4
the level of cooling of the +/- $500 lift pump is not optimal , reason it is recommended to fuel when you reach 1/4 level
if at all convinient .
those who run their trucks ALWAYS LOW reported : louder lift pumps , longer priming from the lift pump before the
first engine start of the day , before failures , also more noticeable symptoms when tank is low , and not so much
when tank is full..
if your sound is more of a whistle than a Hummm , it would be something else.
=========================

just listened to your 3 second video , pretty short to get a hint
sounds like a thin metal sheet rubbing on a turning part ...
too short to determine anything ..

before starting your engine , keep door open or window down , listen for the lift pump ,
is the noise is similar to what is bugging you , it is simply the sound of the lift pump .
Thank you for the response. The video is very short.. I made a couple videos that were about 20 seconds long, but the uploading format only supported about a 3 second video, and I'm not sure how to upload something longer.

I've turned the key to the "accessory" and listened to the pump. I've always noticed the 'whine' the pump produces before the truck is running. The sound if the video is definitely something different, but it might still be the lift pump; I'm not sure. I started the it today and let it run for a few minutes, and I did not hear the sound. Each time I've noticed it, the truck has been at operating temps... Could that have anything to do with it?

I've been known to run my truck a few times until the low fuel light comes on, and due to that, I've probably caused unneeded stress to the pump. Maybe this is a self-induced problem. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found another thread that contains a much longer video. The truck in the video is making the exact same noise, and it was confirmed to be the lift pump in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
... I made a couple videos that were about 20 seconds long,
but the uploading format only supported about a 3 second video,
and I'm not sure how to upload something longer.
guys post their video on Yioutube , then just copy/paste the youtube page adress in their post ,
it magically becomes a link to the youtube page in the post .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts