RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 300 miles away from home towing our trailer on holidays, and got the ETC error p0234 and limp mode. I have 5000 miles on the truck and have had a GDE tune since new. Any suggestions?
Planning on going to the dealership in the morning.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, unhooked from the trailer, unplugged ECM for ten min, plugged it back in, went for a drive, and no limp mode. Engine light is still on though...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Stop in any auto parts store and have them pull the code for you. Have them reset the CEL too.

You can pull the codes and reset them with the Torque Pro app ($5) and a bluetooth OBD dongle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a shop in a small town pull the code, p0234. He couldn’t clear it though..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im in the exact same boat as you I just posted a lengthy post on the general discussions page. Hopefully somebody has had the issue and has a fix for it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The truck is in the shop now, after many stops and code erases on the way home.
I will post here when I get some results.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I have an update on my vehicle,
The code P0234 - turbo over boost seems to have been solved with the turbo being replaced. I had to replace the ECM to the stock one before they would diagnose and work on the truck under warranty.

The following is the exact email I sent to GDE:
Please excuse any errors in trying to describe this to you but I will do my best...
As per the dealership service manager, The actuating arm was not properly adjusting the variable fins of the turbo for different conditions. I guess there are 10 positions the arm can be in and when it tried to use positions 6-10 it would fail to move or move improperly. After the repair, there seems to be no signs of the error code or problems driving the truck.

Have you ever seen a problem like this with your tune or in general with the eco diesel?
Does your tune tweek any settings with the actuating arm/variable fins? I would still like to put your tune back in, but I’m hesitant that it may happen again... and I’m not sure you are open to a refund for the tune?
My local shop has been very good with making sure the work was done under warranty but there is no guarantee that if something happened again, that it would be covered. So I’m kind of stuck in the middle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reply from GDE:
Not Verbatim but close: Our tune doesn't touch the actuator, we don't give refunds, you had a turbo failure, use it or don't... its up to you.

I'm not overly impressed with GDE at this point. You think when someone spends $1000+ usd, there could be a bit more care taken in a response, just to put there customer at ease with their product, but I guess not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts