RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really torn I love my 2015 Ecodiesel but I am starting to have some issues with the air suspension and I am at 210k and I am ready to get into something new. I drive around 50-60k miles a year so the fuel cost is a big factor. My current ED is only rated to tow 7500# and my new boat loaded down will max that out.. I am wanting the new 2500 but I am really worried about the increased fuel cost I will have. Finding a ED with 9k+ towing is difficult but there are some out there..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the gen 3 are rated at 12k for towing. Then it's really a matter of what do you feel safer with as a tow vehicle?
I have researched this and the highest tow rating I have found is around 9900# and that's a rare truck... Most are rated at about 8k. You can plug the VIN number in on the Ram website.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,306 Posts
You're right. I just pulled up the ram website and it shows either 9600 or 9900 for the 3.92 rear end. I thought I remembered it being higher than that. I guess if you want to tow your house, you'll need that heavy duty. Like Riggs in Lethal Weapon 2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered one to replace my 16 eco. What a difference in fit and performance. No lag from stops. I am currently getting about 22mpg, but I live up a hill. I have the 3.92 gears and rating of 9600. I believe the bigger trucks run around 20mpg anyways. So it's a l Iittle more upfront and ride difference.

Hardest part I had was finding 3.92 gears with towing mirrors. I didn't wanna deal with clip on tow mirrors.

Of course you are going to get a boat 2 feet longer in a couple years so that extra weight might push you to the bigger truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
I bought a new 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins this last April. My last truck was a 2017 Ram Ecodiesel with GDE, it was very good on fuel and in about 49,000 miles and 3 years gave me no issues.

We have a smaller 21 foot 1994 Coachman that weighs in now at 4500 lbs or so loaded up, and add bodies, coolers, firewood and other stuff that fills the truck box, can add up to about near 7500 lbs in total cargo.

And the Ecodiesel handled this all very well. With that tow load I would get around 14.5 mpg average. Same load with the 2500 is about 13.2 mpg. The difference isn't so much an issue as we average 15,000 miles a year. We also tow more then half the time. Most of the miles with the Ecodiesel are around town miles, if we get on the freeway, usually the RV is behind us. I would average 23-25 mpg in the summer, and in winter that could drop to 16-18 mpg.

So far the CTD is giving me about 14.5 mpg winter driving around town. Again, as we don't' drive a lot, the added expense isn't so much for us. In the summer, the 2500 can do 20-21 mpg pretty easy on the freeway at 65 mph, the speed limit in Alaska. 18-20 mpg for around town driving was the norm in the summertime.

Some of the reasons for leaving the Ecodiesel were-

-reliability factor, or lack of (this was the biggest factor, and I was tired of hearing about it)
-how long it was taking to get the EGR work done.
-high resale price (this was the kicker for what I got for a used truck)
-a desire for a bigger RV

cons of moving to a 2500 CTD are-

Increased fuel mileage, but not so much when towing.
Increased maintenance, 3 gallons of expensive oil, but only every 15,000 miles. And it uses more DEF.
rougher stiff ride

The PROS of the 2500 are
-hyper reliability
-still OK fuel mileage for our use (if I worked and drove that many miles a year, I would think differently).
-Its a damned truck! I feel safe in it, my wife loves it too. We are not little people, small cars don't work for us.
-and it warms up so so much faster then the Ecodiesel, by a long shot. Another wife approval!
-and of course, we are not so limited the size of an RV. We would like a 5th wheel for snowbirding.
-roomy

We are quite happy with the 2500 Cummins. And I don't have near the worry about things going wrong, this Cummins is a well thought out powerful engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered one to replace my 16 eco. What a difference in fit and performance. No lag from stops. I am currently getting about 22mpg, but I live up a hill. I have the 3.92 gears and rating of 9600. I believe the bigger trucks run around 20mpg anyways. So it's a l Iittle more upfront and ride difference.

Hardest part I had was finding 3.92 gears with towing mirrors. I didn't wanna deal with clip on tow mirrors.

Of course you are going to get a boat 2 feet longer in a couple years so that extra weight might push you to the bigger truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Ha yeah the only one I found that I like was 400 miles away in IL and looks like it sold...

That's already been done my boat sold and new boat is 6 feet longer....

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,224 Posts
The ecodiesels punch above their weight class in the towing department in my opinion... so long as your not the drag racing type.

How much of your use is towing/towing heavy? How far are you towing? How much is empty commuting/hwy? I would let that be my deciding factor. How much do you honestly tow?

For my use the ecodiesel wins every time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a new 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins this last April. My last truck was a 2017 Ram Ecodiesel with GDE, it was very good on fuel and in about 49,000 miles and 3 years gave me no issues.

We have a smaller 21 foot 1994 Coachman that weighs in now at 4500 lbs or so loaded up, and add bodies, coolers, firewood and other stuff that fills the truck box, can add up to about near 7500 lbs in total cargo.

And the Ecodiesel handled this all very well. With that tow load I would get around 14.5 mpg average. Same load with the 2500 is about 13.2 mpg. The difference isn't so much an issue as we average 15,000 miles a year. We also tow more then half the time. Most of the miles with the Ecodiesel are around town miles, if we get on the freeway, usually the RV is behind us. I would average 23-25 mpg in the summer, and in winter that could drop to 16-18 mpg.

So far the CTD is giving me about 14.5 mpg winter driving around town. Again, as we don't' drive a lot, the added expense isn't so much for us. In the summer, the 2500 can do 20-21 mpg pretty easy on the freeway at 65 mph, the speed limit in Alaska. 18-20 mpg for around town driving was the norm in the summertime.

Some of the reasons for leaving the Ecodiesel were-

-reliability factor, or lack of (this was the biggest factor, and I was tired of hearing about it)
-how long it was taking to get the EGR work done.
-high resale price (this was the kicker for what I got for a used truck)
-a desire for a bigger RV

cons of moving to a 2500 CTD are-

Increased fuel mileage, but not so much when towing.
Increased maintenance, 3 gallons of expensive oil, but only every 15,000 miles. And it uses more DEF.
rougher stiff ride

The PROS of the 2500 are
-hyper reliability
-still OK fuel mileage for our use (if I worked and drove that many miles a year, I would think differently).
-Its a damned truck! I feel safe in it, my wife loves it too. We are not little people, small cars don't work for us.
-and it warms up so so much faster then the Ecodiesel, by a long shot. Another wife approval!
-and of course, we are not so limited the size of an RV. We would like a 5th wheel for snowbirding.
-roomy

We are quite happy with the 2500 Cummins. And I don't have near the worry about things going wrong, this Cummins is a well thought out powerful engine.
Great reply. Thank you! Yeah its the miles I drive is the only thing stopping me from the 2500.. I hate it. Actually looking around at a new career because of it.. I bought the ED because I sought out to find the most fuel efficient truck on the market...

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
547 Posts
As you have discovered, despite the higher MAX tow rating, it's hard to get a 3rd gen with an actual rating that high. I found that a 2021 equipped similarly to my 2015 will actually have a lower tow rating than my 2015. That's not to say the 3rd gen can't do the job though.

As others have said, it really comes down to what percentage of your mileage is towing. If you're gonna be towing 90% of the time and near or at the max rating of the EcoD, then get the cummins. If you tow 10% of the time, stick with the EcoD and enjoy the higher unloaded mileage when you can

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ecodiesels punch above their weight class in the towing department in my opinion... so long as your not the drag racing type.

How much of your use is towing/towing heavy? How far are you towing? How much is empty commuting/hwy? I would let that be my deciding factor. How much do you honestly tow?

For my use the ecodiesel wins every time.
Well Its a small amount but I have made several tows around 1k miles and a few a year at 500 miles each way. Also I am in TN where there can be some bad hills and especially around the lakes... I tow the boat weekly during the summer and then I tow my SXS frequently in the fall/ winter. I also am looking at a tractor that I will tow some...

The boat is 5600 # dry weight. Not sure if that includes outboards or not? Also fuel and gear can bring it 2k plus pounds.. I just now my 7500# rating now isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you have discovered, despite the higher MAX tow rating, it's hard to get a 3rd gen with an actual rating that high. I found that a 2021 equipped similarly to my 2015 will actually have a lower tow rating than my 2015. That's not to say the 3rd gen can't do the job though.

As others have said, it really comes down to what percentage of your mileage is towing. If you're gonna be towing 90% of the time and near or at the max rating of the EcoD, then get the cummins. If you tow 10% of the time, stick with the EcoD and enjoy the higher unloaded mileage when you can
Yeah that's what I am thinking. I am finding that to get the truck I want I am probably going to have to build it that way. I just want it to be safe as possible. I towed a 40 horse tractor once and about lost the rear end when I hit the brakes on a down hill...

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
You're right. I just pulled up the ram website and it shows either 9600 or 9900 for the 3.92 rear end. I thought I remembered it being higher than that. I guess if you want to tow your house, you'll need that heavy duty. Like Riggs in Lethal Weapon 2.
I pulled up my Ecodiesel before purchasing to ensure it would tow my toys:

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
Even without the power & turbo brake of an aftermarket tune the new ED will handily tow and stop a 7500 pound boat. (with a tune 300HP 550TQ 30+ Hwy unloaded turbo brake covered in spades) With the miles you drive it’s what makes the most sense to me. The 3.21 would do the job fine and save the fuel when not towing. That said the 3.92 is quicker more fun to drive and would move that boat around the hills with more authority and still save you fuel over the 2500.

With the Cummins you won’t be unhappy either. It just takes a little bigger stack of cash to buy & feed it. No losers except well maybe with the 6.4 as you would be hating your gas bill.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even without the power & turbo brake of an aftermarket tune the new ED will handily tow and stop a 7500 pound boat. (with a tune 300HP 550TQ 30+ Hwy unloaded turbo brake covered in spades) With the miles you drive it’s what makes the most sense to me. The 3.21 would do the job fine and save the fuel when not towing. That said the 3.92 is quicker more fun to drive and would move that boat around the hills with more authority and still save you fuel over the 2500.

With the Cummins you won’t be unhappy either. It just takes a little bigger stack of cash to buy & feed it. No losers except well maybe with the 6.4 as you would be hating your gas bill.
I just learned that loaded its around 8200lbs and add the trailer+gear and were well at or close to maxing capacity... The 3.21 geared ED can only tow around 8k.... I would not get one without the 3.92... Cutting it close.

·
Registered
783 Posts
A lot more in fuel cost! Will be about $250 more a month for me....
Makes sense short term, but this will make you re think if the engine lets go down the road ( ecodiesel engines are throw away engines) then you have to fork out 15k for replacement. Then you might think was saving $250 on fuel was really worth it? Just an opinion.
That combined with no stress towing, long term reputation of a cummins, higher re sale value. Cummins wins hands down everytime. Not many have regreted going with the big boy. Can't say the same for the Ed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Makes sense short term, but this will make you re think if the engine lets go down the road ( ecodiesel engines are throw away engines) then you have to fork out 15k for replacement. Then you might think was saving $250 on fuel was really worth it? Just an opinion.
That combined with no stress towing, long term reputation of a cummins, higher re sale value. Cummins wins hands down everytime. Not many have regreted going with the big boy. Can't say the same for the Ed.
You know I didn't even consider the resale value... I am guessing its a whole lot more with CTD?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts