RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
The big plus for my new 2500 is the Cummins motor.

IT is a very well thought out engine.

Very powerful. When I pulled out of the dealer, its' right on the main drag out of town, I was shocked to see 80 mph, it was so damned quiet!

This truck has a DPF gauge too! Along with a boost gauge. And it handles the Regens very well. It also passively regens just super. Any freeway driving, certainly when towing, and even the fast idle in the morning, all contribute to passive regen. My Ecodiesel never passive regened, ever, not even when towing and hell hot.

No need for a tune here. It's great the way it is.

We are pretty happy with this high up and off the ground truck!

And like I mentioned, I found only one 5th gen Cummins/Ram engine blown up. I am still impressed.

The 2500 section of this forum is the most boring part of this site, I kind of like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
At 8,200 I’d get the 3.92. Disposable as in better to replace than rebuild true. But you have 210k on your disposable now and the new Gen ED motor is dramatically improved. $15k or $10k at a going rate shop for your existing truck. With the new truck and 100k or 60k powertrain warranty for the Cummins I don’t think you are looking at paying for a rebuild anytime soon.

No stress towing is the same in this case. 820 pounds of tongue weight is not stressing the 5th gen nor is 8200 for a low drag boat as the 5th gen has both more power and far better cooling capacity since Ram moved the intercooler away from in front of the radiator. Plus stronger frame & stronger brakes even more axle rating than the 4th gen you are used to.

At 10k pounds and regular towing sure I’d spend the extra for the truck and fuel and climb up into the big truck cab. I don’t try to guess that far down the road I don’t buy a truck for it’s potential resale value. I just generally try to pick the best tool for the job then drive the candidates and get the one I want the most. Just my thoughts. Regular horse or draft horse either will pull your cart. Probably largely pick the one you would most want to drive to work in every day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
At 8,200 I’d get the 3.92. Disposable as in better to replace than rebuild true. But you have 210k on your disposable now and the new Gen ED motor is dramatically improved. $15k or $10k at a going rate shop for your existing truck. With the new truck and 100k or 60k powertrain warranty for the Cummins I don’t think you are looking at paying for a rebuild anytime soon.

No stress towing is the same in this case. 820 pounds of tongue weight is not stressing the 5th gen nor is 8200 for a low drag boat as the 5th gen has both more power and far better cooling capacity since Ram moved the intercooler away from in front of the radiator. Plus stronger frame & stronger brakes even more axle rating than the 4th gen you are used to.

At 10k pounds and regular towing sure I’d spend the extra for the truck and fuel and climb up into the big truck cab. I don’t try to guess that far down the road I don’t buy a truck for it’s potential resale value. I just generally try to pick the best tool for the job then drive the candidates and get the one I want the most. Just my thoughts. Regular horse or draft horse either will pull your cart. Probably largely pick the one you would most want to drive to work in every day.
Man this is a tough decision! One thing I haven't even looked into is GDE, the tune definitely improved my truck its a dog without it! Is GDE available on new ED?

·
Registered
2018 SLT+ Crewcab Ecodiesel
100 Posts
Your asking this on the Ecodiesel forum.....I think you should stick with the Ecodiesel. You likely won't be towing your boat a lot, so towing at a respectable speed and allowing the truck to slow while climbing hills (not using the cruise control), and respecting the downhills for descents, the Eco will treat you right.
I towed my 8x24' enclosed car hauler while moving, loaded to about 10000 lbs several times 800KM through the mountains here in Canada and the Eco performed flawlessly. You just have to respect the weight that's back there, and drive accordingly.
50-60K a year is a lot of driving, and the Eco could save you a pile of cash if your mostly empty.
I used to have a RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins and the mileage wasn't very good....Truck was rock solid though, and rode like a tank.

Here's a pic of my truck and trailer, and that trailer is loaded to just shy of 10000 lbs. I was getting 19.5L/ per 100 KM which is 12 MPG.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
One other small con for the 2500 with the Cummins is the weight of the motor on the front. When I add DEF, Fuel, bodies and two dogs along cuts my cargo factor to about 1700 lbs, if you're looking at a bit truck mounted camper, there are limitations, and the 3500 is the way to go. In other words you're not going to haul a big camper. The 6.4 Hemi can carry a bigger cargo with the lighter engine.

The 2500 has the 10,000 lb total max weight, though I would not be afraid to overload this truck, she is stout. This is a "white paper" number more to do with Federal regulations then capability.

So If I'm at the landfill with my wife, on the way out this truck will weigh right at 8,000 lbs semi loaded (fuel, def, bodies), I recall the Ecodiesel was around 5900 lbs leaving the dump.

So the Ecodiesel with our RV trailer and the box full, it would squat it flat, and be near touching the axles with the rubber bumpers without the WDH engaged. The first time I hooked up the RV to the 2500, it still had a forward rake, and hardly squatted at all. I was able to relax the WDH shims just a bit as I didn't need to force that rear weight up so hard. This will improve my tire mileage. One thing I learned with frequent towing is you'll go through tires much faster, as we load up the box quite a bit when we go camping and fishing, it's heavy and the WDH is trying to offset the weight of not only the trailer, but what's in the box. At least for the Ecodiesel and 60% towing the RV, rear tire wear was much faster, I could only get about 22,000 miles on a set of tires.

So even with an RV that weighs 4500-5000 lbs, not that big, but when you fill up the box and add another ton of weight (don't forget fuel, def, and bodies, they all count), I really could not go much more, the 1500 felt maxed with a total combined weights of 13,700 lbs (this was an actual weight at a landfill on one of our long jaunts).

We put on almost 4500 miles on the RV this summer with the 2500, the truck has 7500 miles on it now, the tires are wearing much, much better.

You're on a tough decision here, it sounds like you tow some heavy stuff quite a bit. But you also drive a lot of miles.

I would probably be leaning towards the newer Ecodiesels myself in your position.

I would consider ponying up for some good E rated tires, as long as you stick to stock tire size the loss of mpg is negligible, it was for me. The stouter tires made for a better towing experience.

Certainly the GDE tune. My Ecodiesel was tuned with the "good" pre 2019 tune, it was a night and day difference in performance and mileage, and the engine brake came with that, which reminds me.

I forgot to mention the exhaust brake on the Cummins.

Damn does it work well. The harder you press on the brake, the more aggressively it shifts down, until your face is planted in the steering wheel. It's almost too aggressive when on steep gravel roads. When you have tow/haul engaged, you hardly need brakes. This works well in traffic too, but my two previous trucks did that also. The auto downshift is amazing. But the Ecodiesel did that too, downshifted with TH mode on, the 2500 just does it better. It's set up for towing. Even the 2500 lowly Tradesman I bought, has big tow mirrors, and also has the RV brake controller (this also works very well, the harder you push, the more the rv brakes), back up camera and a class 5 hitch.

I have no regrets stepping up, my towing experience with the 2500 is great. The truck is very stable, it's hard to remember you have a trailer back there.

But both trucks are great. It took me 6 months before I decided and jumped on the 2500, it was not an easy decision. It was right about when the chip shortage started. So I put money down on one that was still in transit. In the end, the hyper reliability won me over.

And they were all gone like a puff of smoke, I think I'm lucky to get the Cummins when I did.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Resale for ctd is more, and more potential buyers. In my area the used ctds are selling more for what folks paid for them couple years ago. It's the way market is right now. With you driving 50k miles a year ctd will depreciate less. The ctd gets good $$$ even with higher miles on the truck. Ed, not so much.

And, you will have the confidence to keep the ctd for longer. These things are built to last. This is a ED forum might be biased towards the Ed. Good luck with truck shopping. 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man this is a tough decision! One thing I haven't even looked into is GDE, the tune definitely improved my truck its a dog without it! Is GDE available on new ED?
I didn't have the gde tune. I had a pedal commander for my 16 Ed. With the new truck it has plenty of get up and go without the pedal commander. Kinda shocking when coming from that 16 truck. So I am not sure if you need a tune.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
211 Posts
In all honesty. That’s a decision you will have to make. I had a 2017 ecodiesel. Never liked how it towed our 26’ trailer. Especially after it being all loaded up. Moved up to the 2500 mega cab. Also upgraded the trailer to a 5th wheel. I would never go back to a 1500. The 2500 is our family car. We use it for everything. Some people say diesels aren’t made for short commutes, but we drive it far enough to let it regen. Haven’t had a problem yet. I bought the diesel because I always wanted one. Could I have gotten away with a gasser? Yes more than likely. But I also wanted a Cummins. It’s not what I needed. It’s what I wanted. I say go for it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Makes sense short term, but this will make you re think if the engine lets go down the road ( ecodiesel engines are throw away engines) then you have to fork out 15k for replacement. Then you might think was saving $250 on fuel was really worth it? Just an opinion.
That combined with no stress towing, long term reputation of a cummins, higher re sale value. Cummins wins hands down everytime. Not many have regreted going with the big boy. Can't say the same for the Ed.
As someone who has owned both at the same time and has had a cummins toss a rod out the side of the block I don't necessarily agree with the above. From my perspective the cummins is the throw away as I had to buy one but my eco is still ticking (I'm kidding but you get the point).

Maintenance on the 2500 is significantly more, consumables are used more quickly and they are now facing nasty issues with fuel pumps / headliners / head units.

Comparing them side by side the 2500 absolutely costs more per mile, but you get greater capacities. Daily driving a 2500 (mega cab) is miserable compared to a 1500.

But, if you need the capacity get the 2500, it will cost more but you'll get greater utility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am really torn I love my 2015 Ecodiesel but I am starting to have some issues with the air suspension and I am at 210k and I am ready to get into something new. I drive around 50-60k miles a year so the fuel cost is a big factor. My current ED is only rated to tow 7500# and my new boat loaded down will max that out.. I am wanting the new 2500 but I am really worried about the increased fuel cost I will have. Finding a ED with 9k+ towing is difficult but there are some out there..
I have a 2020 rated for about 9700#s towing. The big difference is the rear end is a 3.92 vs the 3.21 in standard units. Expect to lose 4 or 5 MPG buying the higher towing rate. I have had 2500's that get 12 or 13 MPG towing a 8000# trailer and the 2020 eco-diesel gets about the same with load, but the 2500 does not get much more empty and the eco-diesel will exceed 20mph empty.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As someone who has owned both at the same time and has had a cummins toss a rod out the side of the block I don't necessarily agree with the above. From my perspective the cummins is the throw away as I had to buy one but my eco is still ticking (I'm kidding but you get the point).

Maintenance on the 2500 is significantly more, consumables are used more quickly and they are now facing nasty issues with fuel pumps / headliners / head units.

Comparing them side by side the 2500 absolutely costs more per mile, but you get greater capacities. Daily driving a 2500 (mega cab) is miserable compared to a 1500.

But, if you need the capacity get the 2500, it will cost more but you'll get greater utility.
Fuel pump shouldn’t be an issue. Looks like there is a recall starting in January for those fuel pumps. Just saw a post on a different thread.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Are you going hunting or dancing? (I’ve owned numerous 3/4 ton Cummins over the years and am on my third Ecodiesel.) Each engine has their niche just like shoes or boots. You don’t want to be wearing hunting boots when going dancing with your wife nor do you want to be wearing patent leather dress shoes when going duck hunting. Each has a purpose…just like the Cummins and Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am really torn I love my 2015 Ecodiesel but I am starting to have some issues with the air suspension and I am at 210k and I am ready to get into something new. I drive around 50-60k miles a year so the fuel cost is a big factor. My current ED is only rated to tow 7500# and my new boat loaded down will max that out.. I am wanting the new 2500 but I am really worried about the increased fuel cost I will have. Finding a ED with 9k+ towing is difficult but there are some out there..
Go with the 2500

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,305 Posts
Building would be a longer term option. Just depends on what you like or don't like about that other truck and deal. Watch the paper work closely.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah I may have found one.. This out of state dealership is giving me by far the best trade in value on my ED. Its the built in equity and tax savings that I am going to have to take.. Honestly if I don't like it I might trade it in and build ED?
Check out west motor in Preston Idaho. They are great people. If the vehicle qualifies. They offer a free 3rd party life time power train warranty. I flew to Salt Lake City Utah. And they met me at the airport with the truck. Worth a loom

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Check out west motor in Preston Idaho. They are great people. If the vehicle qualifies. They offer a free 3rd party life time power train warranty. I flew to Salt Lake City Utah. And they met me at the airport with the truck. Worth a loom
As much as a love Idaho. That's a hell of drive from TN

21 - 40 of 46 Posts