RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I need your help identifying the problems I have encountered yesterday and how to fix them. Let me give you the context.

The truck is a 2015 Big Horn, 2 wheel drive. It has about 170K miles. All recalls and services were performed on schedule, no issues. While driving yesterday on the freeway, the check engine came on along with the )!( message on the dash: Service Electronic Throttle Control. I felt a loss of power and smelled some kind of wiring burning. Needless to say, pulled out of the freeway. When I got out of the truck I saw a little bit of smoke from under the hood. It was dark already and raining so I simply had it towed to my house. I though that perhaps because of heavy rains something simply shorted and could easily be fixed next morning, but when I opened the hood, I discovered another problem: grey mix of coolant and oil in the radiator reservoir. That stuff looks nasty! About 3 weeks ago, when I changed the oil, all looked fine. So, I have a bigger problem or a series of problems. I am hoping you can help me identify the issues and tell me how to fix them. The truck is long out of warranty, so I will be doing all the work myself. I am not a pro, but pretty handy, unless expensive one-time-use tooling is needed.

Here is a picture:

You help is most appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im Not an eco guy but looking at that you've had a oil cooler fail and is allowing pin into the cooling system. Check ur oil make sure it's not yellow bubbly and nasty. Or you have a cracked head/ head gasket problem. Some other eco guys may know more but I seen this and figured I'd help some.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked out the oil Brandon and it looks normal, no discoloring or any abnormalities. Any idea if the two issues (ETC) are related?

·
Registered
122 Posts
From all I've been hearing it's possibly the egr cooler and egr staying open. Not sure if that recall has been done but they're bursting into flames all over the place. Usually starts off as svc throttle and then they light on fire due to wide open egr valve melting the plastic intake.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The cooler may have cracked oil side instead of outside coolant side and is pushing oil into coolant.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure, so when the oil cooler fails, the oil migrates to the coolant system. Can you take a small sample and confirm it's oil in the coolant bottle? Sure looks like it to me. I wish you the best of luck in your repair.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure, so when the oil cooler fails, the oil migrates to the coolant system. Can you take a small sample and confirm it's oil in the coolant bottle? Sure looks like it to me. I wish you the best of luck in your repair.
Hello Bill,

It does smell and feel like oil, so yes, I am certain it is oil. (((

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From all I've been hearing it's possibly the egr cooler and egr staying open. Not sure if that recall has been done but they're bursting into flames all over the place. Usually starts off as svc throttle and then they light on fire due to wide open egr valve melting the plastic intake.

Am I understanding this correctly? So, If the EGR cooler is bad ( which sounds about right), then I will have to replace it along with the the EGR valve, and the oil cooler, since they work in tandem. Also completely wash and flush the cooling system and replace the 3-way valve (it will most likely be clogged up) and the water pump.

Possible List:
EGR Cooler
EGR Valve
Oil Cooler
3-way cooler valve
Water pump
Lots of liquid...

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
3,978 Posts
you'll probably want to pull an oil sample from the pan and send it to be analysis, if there is coolant in the oil you'll probably want to consider cutting your losses on this engine and look into a complete replacement. The engine already has 170K miles on it, no sense sinking money into it if the all the bearings are probably compromised.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That looks about right. Remember to use distilled water so you won't get any thing to build deposits. You can also find pour in cleaners for flushing that crap out. Do you have to pass emissions? I'd say do a delete so that doesn't happen again if you can it'd require a tune but honestly egr and cooler probly cost as much as delete and tune.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just concentrate on the oil cooler repairs. FCA has a recall on the EGR repairs, so that's on their dime. Your issue doesn't sound to me as an EGR failure, since the truck is not consuming coolant. An experienced Eco mechanic at a dealership explained to me that it took six flushes over one month on a customer's truck before the coolant stayed clean. I don't don't believe they replaced any components other than the oil cooler. Still, that's a lot of cost in coolant, unless you reside in a warmer climate and can use distilled water for the first few flushes. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just concentrate on the oil cooler repairs. FCA has a recall on the EGR repairs, so that's on their dime. Your issue doesn't sound to me as an EGR failure, since the truck is not consuming coolant. An experienced Eco mechanic at a dealership explained to me that it took six flushes over one month on a customer's truck before the coolant stayed clean. I don't don't believe they replaced any components other than the oil cooler. Still, that's a lot of cost in coolant, unless you reside in a warmer climate and can use distilled water for the first few flushes. Good luck.
I am in SoCal, so I can get away with distilled water. As far as the truck not consuming coolant, I am not so sure. The reservoir looks empty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What
That looks about right. Remember to use distilled water so you won't get any thing to build deposits. You can also find pour in cleaners for flushing that crap out. Do you have to pass emissions? I'd say do a delete so that doesn't happen again if you can it'd require a tune but honestly egr and cooler probly cost as much as delete and tune.

What is a delete Brandon?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you'll probably want to pull an oil sample from the pan and send it to be analysis, if there is coolant in the oil you'll probably want to consider cutting your losses on this engine and look into a complete replacement. The engine already has 170K miles on it, no sense sinking money into it if the all the bearings are probably compromised.
Where would I send the sample? I can do that to check, of course, but I respectfully disagree with the cutting the losses part. I don't think 170k is too much for a diesel motor, besides a new ecodiesel is insanely expensive, like 6k.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the coolant in the oil wrecking the bearings, worked on stationairy engines for years and seen oil in coolant lots just fix the problem, drain it new oil filter and oil. Run it for 1/2 hr. Dump oil and filter run new again and add some good moly or redline something like that that's got high moly content and you'll be ok. The only time coolant really takes out bearings bad is when it can sit for long time it turns acidic and eats the coating and pits the bearings badly. So don't let it sit long like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't be worried about the coolant in the oil wrecking the bearings, worked on stationairy engines for years and seen oil in coolant lots just fix the problem, drain it new oil filter and oil. Run it for 1/2 hr. Dump oil and filter run new again and add some good moly or redline something like that that's got high moly content and you'll be ok. The only time coolant really takes out bearings bad is when it can sit for long time it turns acidic and eats the coating and pits the bearings badly. So don't let it sit long like that.

Cool, thanks a lot.

A delete allows you to remove the egr and cooler and not have to replace it. It is not emissions compliant though. But cheaper better and adds more powaa and mpg once you get the tune.

That sh*t will not fly in Cali... damn Cali )))

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am in SoCal, so I can get away with distilled water. As far as the truck not consuming coolant, I am not so sure. The reservoir looks empty.
I still suggest you concentrate on the oil cooler issue. A leaking EGR cooler just dumps coolant into the intake - no connection to the oil side of things. Once again, EGR repairs are on FCA's dime, not yours. Get it running again and have FCA deal with the EGR recall.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts