RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ED had a CEL today. Service electronic throttle control. Lost all kinds of power. I'm guessing it went into Limp home mode. I limped it home to my driveway. I do not have a current obd II reader. how do I get it out of limp home mode? BTW, I was on a very steep incline with vehcles in front and back. I had my foot on the brake and gas pedals at the same time. I have read I'm not supposed to do that????? any help appreciated. Tomorrow is 1st day of deer, I really wanted to use my truck1

·
Registered
698 Posts
You have read correct, you are not suppose to do that. Ever since the Toyota incident with the throttle sticking open and the brake not disengaging it, all new vehicles are suppose to be equipped with a safety that when both pedals are pushed the brake overrides the accelerator.

Did you try restarting your truck and see if it reset?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to clear code. The older 3Gen and early 4Gen trucks you could that by disconnecting the battery for about five minutes. I've not read on here if you can do that with the new ecoD.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Why would you drive with 2 feet? It's totally unsafe. Besides, our trucks have a hill assist and it holds the brakes for a couple seconds, so you can push the throttle.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you have a code reader then clear the code with it. If not dissconnect the battery for awhile
Disconnecting the battery will not always clear codes. Depending upon their severity, important codes are written into non-volatile memory so that they can still be read out in the event of power failure. Those have to be cleared with a scan tool.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My ED had a CEL today. Service electronic throttle control. Lost all kinds of power. I'm guessing it went into Limp home mode. I limped it home to my driveway. I do not have a current obd II reader. how do I get it out of limp home mode? BTW, I was on a very steep incline with vehcles in front and back. I had my foot on the brake and gas pedals at the same time. I have read I'm not supposed to do that????? any help appreciated. Tomorrow is 1st day of deer, I really wanted to use my truck1
I use both feet on the brake and accelerator pedal all the time on my very steep driveway, while maneuvering, and haven't thrown any codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you drive with 2 feet? It's totally unsafe. Besides, our trucks have a hill assist and it holds the brakes for a couple seconds, so you can push the throttle.

It was a very steep hill. I was 3rd in line with a stop sign at the top. 2 cars were behind me on my a$$. I was just inching forward and didn't want to drift back. old school method. I grew up without hill assist. feather the brake as your inching forward.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have found hill assist to work fairly well. However, on very steep hills I wouldn't trust it when a split second without braking could cause a severe accident, especially with the sometimes very slow throttle response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The hill was so steep, after even trying in 4 low i couldn't make it up. Had to back down and go a different route. Talk about being embarrassed. Only thing worse would have been if a pruis passed me and climbed the hill.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This happened to me 3 times on the way home from the dealer the day I picked up the truck. I got over to the side of the road. shut the truck off for a few minutes as I set there highly ticked off about this. Truck started right up and drove it home ,I took it back to the dealer, they read the codes and the computer said KEEP YOUR DAM FEET OFF THE BRAKE AND GAS PEDAL AT THE SAME TIME. :confused: I admit , I have done this for years but trying very hard now to just use one foot for both gas & brake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it to the dealer this morning. He cleared the code....back to normal. he said it was because of the brake and gas at the same time. He sees it all the time. No charge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have burned tires several thousand times especially when it was new. no one could believe a 3.0l could do it. never had a problem. apparently the gas has to be pressed first then the brake. but I could swear it did that before???? No more power braking until I get a code reader for me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
doing a "power brake" wont cause it to do this. But, as soon as you start to roll forward and it senses forward movement it will freak out. I just pull the F6 fuse out and it disables the traction control and all sorts of other annoying features. Buutttt. it sometimes locks out the shifter. haha. Either way, the truck drives way better without the F6 fuse installed. It actually lets it work!

·
Registered
592 Posts
doing a "power brake" wont cause it to do this. But, as soon as you start to roll forward and it senses forward movement it will freak out. I just pull the F6 fuse out and it disables the traction control and all sorts of other annoying features. Buutttt. it sometimes locks out the shifter. haha. Either way, the truck drives way better without the F6 fuse installed. It actually lets it work!
Thought I read where you could turn off the TC and stability controls in the gauge cluster menus? Or was that on the Jeep GC with the ecoD?

:confused:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thought I read where you could turn off the TC and stability controls in the gauge cluster menus? Or was that on the Jeep GC with the ecoD?

:confused:

there is a button to "disable" traction control, etc. But it does not fully disable it. It just allows a little more, than kicks in again.

·
Registered
698 Posts
On my '09, since it is a 4x4 you can almost fully disable the traction control. If I remember correctly it will reactivate above 50 mph or somewhere around there.

I think the newer 4x4's still have the ability to disable the TC further than the 2 wheel drive trucks, but not to the extent earlier trucks had.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not sure this is necessarily a good feature, but is a pain when it happens! I was waiting to pull out of a business drive not long ago with heavy oncoming traffic, and directly across from me was a side street with traffic wanting to pull out as well. I saw an opening and started to pull out and the person across on the side street pulled out and cut me off. I tapped the brake with my left foot while backing off the accelerator but obviously still a little pressure on it. The EVIC flashed Electronic Throttle Control, I'm now in the traffic lanes with no throttle at all, can't get out of the way. Anyway a few seconds went by and the throttle started working, but scary to think you can't do anything to get out of the way. Anyway working very hard not to use the left foot on the brake, but seems unsafe to also shut down like that. Going on a trip so had dealer flash update to latest software, and told him about this, no code cleared itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts