RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted the EcoD last year, couldn't wait so I got a LL CC with 3.92 gears. I pull a 18ft enclosed V-Nose that weighs 6,200lbs on the scales. The hemi has way more than enough power to handle the weight, I get 9-10 mpg running 60-65. I pulled the sane trailer empty from GA with a 2010 6.4 f250, I only averaged 9mpg running 75-80 mph. I pulled the trailer with 6200 lbs from VA to IA with a 2005 f350 DRW 6.0 and got 8 mpg running 70-80 mph. So there are some real world numbers to help you guys out.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks... but I think most of the guys here are coming off of gas Ram trucks. Also... going down the path of "Money recovery time"... That also really isn't a factor. Most of us just wanted a Diesel, and didn't need a 2500/3500.

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
693 Posts
Those #'s are useful to me. I pull a 24' enclosed trailer, 7200lbs. Started with a 2006 F-150, went to a 2000 F-250, and now trying the ED. It's very interesting to me how different engines do under different loads. The F-150 got far better mileage then the diesel F-250, but then completely got it's butt kicked by the trailer and mpg was intolerable. Diesel engines seem to have a broader comfort zone where they can take on a load and mpg doesn't completely tank.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those numbers will be good comparison for me as I will be pulling a travel trailer of similar size and weight. I am hoping mileage will be much better than if ordered with the hemi.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Two close friends have gas 150's. Loukiii has a new Ford with the Ecoboost V6. He pulled his 30ft. travel trailer (do not know weight) to Georgia with me sitting in there. It made it and really didn't struggle much. 7 mpg.

My best friend has a '13 Ram Hemi. He pulled his 32ft. travel trailer with 3 slides to the same place in Ga. I looked at his plate and it was max gvr just under 9K lbs. 7 mpg. At times he told me it was actually in the 6's but ended up just in the 7's.

Friend Charlie is known for bad decisions. He bought a Ford 2500 gas engine. Pulled his 5th wheel around the country last year. I remember him and his brother-in-law talking about 6 mpg.

With my old Duramax and Cummins I often pulled to 12K and got 10 - 12 mpg. At times better but overall always got double-digit fuel mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those numbers will be good comparison for me as I will be pulling a travel trailer of similar size and weight. I am hoping mileage will be much better than if ordered with the hemi.
I also pulled a Bobcat 770 on a 20ft trailer. I went roughly 20 miles and managed to get 6mpgs for the trip. Before all the flaming starts, the roads were practically shut down, due to 12 inches of snow. I'm guessing the weight was north of 13Klbs. It wasn't a terrible experience, you could tell it was back there!! LOL!! IMHO the hemi has way more capability than the frame and suspension on these trucks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also pulled a Bobcat 770 on a 20ft trailer. I went roughly 20 miles and managed to get 6mpgs for the trip. Before all the flaming starts, the roads were practically shut down, due to 12 inches of snow. I'm guessing the weight was north of 13Klbs. It wasn't a terrible experience, you could tell it was back there!! LOL!! IMHO the hemi has way more capability than the frame and suspension on these trucks.
Probably true for both engines. I will be well inside max tow for my truck, but probably at or somewhat over payload rating. I intend to add airbags and use weight distributing hitch on trailer. I don't know about it's frame strength, but suspension could be a little more stout.I guess it's a fair compromise to accomplish ride/ handling characteristics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
just got back with the new truck this weekend ,100 mile trip to the desert. Laramie cc 4x4 6.4 bed and air suspension 3:55,
8500gvw travel trailer 70mph 12mpg tow /haul
run back home to get the side x side 70 mph 33mpg aero mode
back to the desert with the side x side 2000lbs 18.5 mpg no tow/ haul
plenty of power but your always in it ,towed the big trailer no problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just got back with the new truck this weekend ,100 mile trip to the desert. Laramie cc 4x4 6.4 bed and air suspension 3:55,
That's Awesome!! I think I see an EcoD in my near future!! Your 8500lb tow at 12mpgs and 70mph is very impressive, My 2014 Hemi barely gets 13mpgs at 70mph when the trailer is empty!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Flat? Hilly? Mtns?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mostly flat a couple of small hills I live in utah nothing is real flat. The big trailer is 28' and hooked up with a equalizer pulled fine no sway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
First I've read of a private owner towing something substantial. That 12 mpg is in-line with what my Cummins would have done. Frankly, based on the tests I read before the trucks came out, I expected better mpg. In reality that's probably not possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm coming from a 04 Cummings and was getting about 11 on the same tow. The ecodiesel no 3/4 ton but it towed well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts