RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys looking to trade ecodiesel for Hemi be prepared for potential annoying cold start valve train noise from bled down lifters. I've been listening to this since I got my dealer demo. I don't think they all do this, depends on the batch of lifters a person gets. It doesn't hurt anything either IMO and won't leave you stranded but some noisy. I had my dealer listen to the video and they need to hear it in person. Which is next to impossible since it does it randomly, sometimes just once a week.

Anyways it's a good engine. But so is the Ecodiesel besides this emissions nonsense. Here is the link:. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/GHT6CczehP8

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The GM 5.3 was notorious for this as well. It was a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No not always... Sometimes it was indicative of porous heads and coolant in the oil. Not good. I had the issue on my 2004 and GM f!cked me about 200 miles out of my warranty. 3500 to fix w new heads, lifters pushrods etc...

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I don't know how many people dumped the GM motors for the lifter noise on start up. I even know a few people who admitted to "engineering" an engine failure to get a new motor because they just knew something was wrong with the one that made that noise on start up.

We still have 3 of them in our family fleet that have always made the noise, one over 220k miles one over 240k miles, the other right around 100k miles. None of them have any mechanical issues what so ever, but they are maintained with the required fluids.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil has been staying quite clean and I first heard the racket at about 8000 km. Bought the truck with 6800 km. Good to hear forum members chalk it up as a non issue. I will likely avoid having dealer hear noise as they are probably trying to do a make work project. If they replaced the lifters I suspect the new ones will do the same thing anyways. Just will be a waste of my time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It might not be lifters. There's a known lifter like noise on start up when firm brake peddle is applied. The trick is to lightly cover brake while pushing start or lift foot quickly after pushing start.

The theory is that noise is related to the parking pawl.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lifter bleeds out, collapses and the top end has too much rocker arm clearance. Hear the noise go away right away once there is oil pressure? I've never heard this thing about the brakes before. It's a common issue with the Hemi. I'll change to a thicker oil 5w30 once my PT warranty is done. Half way there now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The GM 5.3 was notorious for this as well. It was a non issue.

Having been there .... it was the 4.8L v-8, and it was cold piston slap in those. I had one. GM bought back trucks in the USA, but not in Canada. None of my several 5.3's had any noise and I've never heard of it being an issue.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Piston slap sounds very different than lifter noise. 5.3 had issues with both depending on year.

Slap was never a really big deal.. just annoying. The loud clack of compressed lifters was an indication of your oil failing due to coolant contamination. Not a good thing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Piston slap sounds very different than lifter noise. 5.3 had issues with both depending on year.

Slap was never a really big deal.. just annoying. The loud clack of compressed lifters was an indication of your oil failing due to coolant contamination. Not a good thing.

Piston slap must have been a big enough deal to make GM buy back 4.8L powered trucks, which they did by the dozen. I had it in my 2000 Silverado. I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone having lifter issues in a 5.3 and I've had four of them ... three in Silverados and one in a Colorado ... which I sold yesterday, leaving me one 5.3 and one ED in the fleet.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Piston slap must have been a big enough deal to make GM buy back 4.8L powered trucks, which they did by the dozen. I had it in my 2000 Silverado. I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone having lifter issues in a 5.3 and I've had four of them ... three in Silverados and one in a Colorado ... which I sold yesterday, leaving me one 5.3 and one ED in the fleet.
The 5.3 I had made a racket upon startup. I assumed it was lifter noise. Could’ve been something else. Sold the truck to a friend at 140k, it’s purring like a Singer still at 180k.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Yeah all that Cummins racket must have ruined your ears.

Here is a normal smooth start up for comparison. It starts like this probably 90 % of the time or more.

https://youtu.be/RU0kMAlzJXY
Second video sounded like the first one. Maybe there was a volume change but still sounds like a crappy gasser clicking away.

The new Cummins is hydraulic lifters. That's quite unlike near all the Cummins engines before this year. I like diesel sound. Liked my Ecodiesel and all the other diesels before it. This new model Cummins engine is quiet to me. Of course, it could again be my ears.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/119868-castech-heads/

Castech heads were a big problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The 5.3 I had made a racket upon startup. I assumed it was lifter noise. Could’ve been something else. Sold the truck to a friend at 140k, it’s purring like a Singer still at 180k.

My current gmc 5.3 had what seemed like lifter tick when cold and mostly went away when warm. Sometimes got really loud 'knock' when heated up on the highway. Also the oil psi dropped to the 7-10 range at idle. After much research and me being cheap, I determined it was maybe a bad o-ring on oil pick up tube.
Fixed myself with new o-ring and of course new pan gasket. Removed a lot of parts. A lot of work for a novice mechanic at best. Oil pressure is now 25-40 at warm idle, fixed about 30k miles ago, 272k total.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Hemi is hydraulic lifters. Well I do think you are having hearing issues if you can't hear the difference lol. I'd imagine the new grey iron cummins is a lot quieter though its the new metal block. Anyways GM had an AC Delco additive specifically for this issue back when, not sure about the newer generation 5.3. But yeah I have heard of that motor doing it as well, GM was well aware of it. Maybe the dealer can try and hear it next time I'm in for an oil change or I'll just let my ears fill up with wax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts