RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you here know me from my long term ownership (3+ years) of an Ecodiesel. Two months ago, I traded it in on a Hemi. My main motivation was to get a 4WD pickup, but I was also a little scared of the lower end failures on the ED, didn't like the soot untuned, and didn't like the potential warranty implications of tuning. So I made the jump, and I know there were a limited number of reviews when I started looking several years ago so I figured I would write up my thoughts.

• When considering oil change prices, fuel price difference, DEF, fuel filters, etc., the mpg different isn't as big as it seems. I've gotten 25 mpg on the hwy in my Hemi (I had gotten 35 mpg in my ED), but I average closer to 19-20 mpg and 21-22 on normal hwy trips at 65-68 mph. My ED got 27.5 mpg average and 29-31 hwy at 65-68 mph.
  • On the flip side, if I had the standard size tank on my Hemi, it would be really, really difficult to go back to 450-500 miles on a tank when I'm used to 650-750 on the ED
  • The Hemi is somewhat of a paradox - I like the driveability way more in city traffic, but the mpg really tanks bad in the city compared to the ED. I was getting around 15 mpg on a few small stints in the city, whereas my ED I was still getting 23-24 mpg. That's over a 50% improvement when fuel is only 20% more.
  • Overall, I do like the driveability of the Hemi more - I felt like I had to anticipate acceleration with the ED slightly, and the Hemi just goes as soon as you push the gas
  • Towing capability at highway speeds is about even, but acceleration is much smoother with the ED due to the significantly better low-end torque
  • Oil filter location on the Hemi is dumb
As I said when I traded in my ED, I never would have traded it if I didn't have a relatively new need for a 4x4 pickup. But I also don't regret going to a Hemi. Both are nice trucks. The ED mpg and towing are both excellent. If you can live with the uncertainty of the EGR and bottom end issues, then it's fantastic. If you can't, the Hemi is a nice alternative.

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
Nice write up. For me because of towing the economic difference as well as overall driving and probably maintenance experience is greater. As to the uncertainty of the EGR & bottom end of the ED the 5 or 7 year 100k or 125k extended warranty certainly helps. Overall Ram has been good about taking care of engine failures. Lol stupid EGR cooler likely ultimately took out my first motor at 371k but the 24 month unlimited mileage warranty helped with this uncertainty you describe on the second motor as well. I made the most out of it working the crap out of the ED putting on 260k in only 24 months with virtually no down time. Now I am once again out of warranty. 292k on the second motor I don't feel it owes me anything with its outstanding service so far. But I am starting to have more issues with the truck; electrical gremlin rear end. But then how do you complain when overall its been good with lots of service working it at near rated capacity. We will see but if down time or repair costs get high she will get moved to a back up position. Just am hoping that doesn't happen for awhile.

Hey patriot have you considered eventually upgrading to a new gen 3 ED? At least with my existing ED the oil fuel filter & DEF costs difference you reference become pretty insignificant when you do the basic servicing & buy pump DEF etc. But I understand many have taken a beating from their dealership on this. My dealership never charged me more than $125 an oil change and for years since buying filters from rockauto and T6 on sales having a full synthetic 10k oil change interval at $65 ish has not been bad. Glad you are still checking in and posting. (y)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Having an ED that spent a lot of time in the shop I drove many Hemis as loaners (Jeeps, 1500s and a 3500) and really liked them. I took delivery of a 2020 2500 Laramie gasser in January and was hoping to get 15MPG and I am averaging 14.5 with 4K miles. If my foot was a little lighter I could probably do better. When my 2016 ED was running I loved it but my last 6 months of ownership wasn’t much fun as it was in the shop as much as it wasn’t. With gas currently .75-1.00 cheaper per gallon in this part of the world I am feeling no pain.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Appreciate the comparison. You sure seem to have the driving ability to wring a maximum fuel mileage from your vehicles. So many do not have your talent and feel with the throttle to don anywhere near what you can do.

I switched to a new Cummins for reasons other than reliability as my Ecodiesel was tuned and wonderful. Unlike Kjkv's report above, my fuel mileage started at 17 when new and now has climbed to over 20 mpg for normal operation. Kind of wish I had your throttle touch. Might be doing 24.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to enlighten readers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Patriot, thanks for the thoughts. I've been contemplating the very same thing. I'm in a Jeep EcoD now, but will be moving back into a pickup for my next vehicle, and will likely go RAM w/Hemi. I've always had V8 gassers up until the Jeep. While I LOVE the EcoD, the truth is the economics of the EcoD are easily washed away when gas is over 30% cheaper than diesel. In a normal economy I average 4250miles/month so it's painful to think of 10-ish fillups per month, but once I do the math I feel better about it. Highway mileage is one of the only reasons I keep my eye on the F150's with the turbo six. (please don't turn this into a "Ford sucks" thing...). I don't tow much so the wonderful low end torque is not a big factor for me.

Vern, I am spectacularly curious as to what vehicle would be next for you. A Gen3 maybe, or bumping up into HD's?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Until recently, I had a 2017 Bighorn hemi 4x4 as a company truck to drive. My experience mirrors yours, except my Ecodiesel has the GDE tune. I also like the way my Ecodiesel tows, better than the hemi, though some of it may be the 3:23 gears in the hemi. I do my on service, so not so much difference in cost. I also have my own bulk tank and #2 diesel is relatively cheap now. Also, having driven a 5.7 hemi almost 400,000 miles, I can say they are very reliable. But knock on wood, my Ecodiesel has been great for almost 78,000 miles.

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Read Only
594 Posts
Yeah on the ecodiesel forum you will never have unbiased responses with these type of posts. One being from a person who tows travel trailers for a living with a half ton, yes gas vs diesel mileage towing is not comparable. Most half ton owners use their trucks to tow a few times a week, if that. I owned an ED for 2 years a 2016 and I've owned my 2018 Hemi for 2 years. Both are nice engines with their own seperate character. Yes the main hit the Hemi takes for fuel is around town, it is rugged compared to ED. Highway I can get 18-20 mpg with the Hemi with all terrain LT tires and with my old ED I would get 24-26 also with all terrain LT tires. ED had 32 inch tall tires, while the Hemi has 20 inch rims so 33s. Hemi has a good reserve of power for highway passing, while with the ED I found you had to pick your spots if you use the rev range. Low end power acceleration is close for the two, say up to 30 mph then the ED tapers off. Cost of ownership is comparable between the two. Peace of mind of ownership goes to the Hemi by a long shot as far as reliability goes. You will always make it to your destination and not be stranded on the side of the highway somewhere. Lifters and exhaust manifold may snap away, also cam wear can occur with abuse and high mileage but this is a slow death.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer a few questions:

Vern - yes I have considered it. And I should have mentioned that towing mpg is night and day with ED vs Hemi. My hemi gets 14 mpg pulling my boat - the ED got 20. Hemi gets 8.5-ish pulling my TT, ED got around 11.5. Percentage-wise, these numbers are very significant.

Honestly, the value of the ED will shine a lot brighter if gas gets back to $4 a gallon. When it got to $3+ per gallon here, the percentage difference in fuel cost in gas vs diesel went to almost nothing. And your monthly gas expenses got way higher - so the ED got big advantages in both directions.

If I was buying new in 2 years and the Gen 3 ED had a good track record, I would, without a doubt, buy it over the hemi. There's no real downside if reliability is basically equal. Drive-ability is a very minor factor with me. Mpg and better towing at low speeds are both really nice advantages. And who doesn't love the sound of a turbo diesel....

Captain - my next truck, most likely, will be a 2500 CTD when we decide to upgrade TT to something heavier as the kids grow up. But for now I'll enjoy the Hemi and try to put that off as long as I can.

Andy, Ford sucks :)

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
When considering oil change prices, fuel price difference, DEF, fuel filters, etc., the mpg different isn't as big as it seems. I've gotten 25 mpg on the hwy in my Hemi (I had gotten 35 mpg in my ED), but I average closer to 19-20 mpg and 21-22 on normal hwy trips at 65-68 mph.
I've read these outlandish mpg claims from Hemi owners a few times before, and it's usually when they try to justify their purchase when comparing it to the Eco. I've owned 2 Hemis, both with MDS, and I can tell you they were nowhere near this. It's just not practical or realistic out of a 5.7L v8 gasser.

·
Read Only
594 Posts
I've read these outlandish mpg claims from Hemi owners a few times before, and it's usually when they try to justify their purchase when comparing it to the Eco. I've owned 2 Hemis, both with MDS, and I can tell you they were nowhere near this. It's just not practical or realistic out of a 5.7L v8 gasser.
To be fair he said 35 mpg for the Eco too though lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
Imperfect but still best guage to me is Fuelly. Andy Its a toss up. Currently I only have the ED, a Buick Grand National which I only drive some in the summers and my bike. So the ED being both my work vehicle and my daily driver has made lots of sense. But If I am only towing the HD & Cummins makes good sense with the reliability mileage and towing mileage some are now getting. My friend in the business is getting great mileage with his (new engine) 2019. The ED & 1/2 ton platform works well for single person with new dry Airstream but the HDs also ride far better than they used to. When I bought the ED I had no idea it was going to get pressed into such service. But it has worked well for my nitch and provides a good fuel economy benefit when sticking to 65 when towing and naturally a bigger fuel & upkeep savings when not towing. Plus it seems a little more sensible to use when you are just popping across the street to the grocery. My friend that tows with his also has another daily driver for when not towing. Hell I might not know for sure until I actually sign the paper. :LOL:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know it's a little off topic. But very curious about FCA replacing the hemi with a inline gas turbo motor. It is a 3 litre capable of 500 hp. And a electric motor assist too. It is posted on 5th gen ram site. Doing my own oil changes and GDE tuned I have had no issues so far on my 2016 with 60k miles.it has exceeded my expectations. But next truck may be a gasser but will wait to see if this inline pans out.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,586 Posts
I know it's a little off topic. But very curious about FCA replacing the hemi with a inline gas turbo motor. It is a 3 litre capable of 500 hp. And a electric motor assist too.
This one: FCA patents a turbo inline-six for global use across brands
Probably the biggest hold up on FCA switching away from the Hemi to this turbo I-6 will be the people that just have to have a V-8 under the hood. Reasons being how it sounds, reliability, nostalgia, etc. Look at the 3.5 Ecoboost as it specs rival the Hemi yet Ford still can't shake the Coyote.
If anything FCA needs to make this turbo I-6 whop the Hemi butt sideways to undo the great marketing of the "Hemi" brand.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
To be fair he said 35 mpg for the Eco too though lol.
I see no issue with either his fuel mileage numbers. Sure it’s not what you get on a day in day out basis but if you drive with the intention of getting good fuel mileage they both do well. I’ve averaged 20Mpg in a 2011 Chevy 5.3 cc 4x4, 21mpg in a 2014 3.5 ecoboost screw 4x4 driving 60 mph on my daily commute. It does take dedication, persistence and commitment to good fuel mileage to do but is very possible. On the same commute and same driving habits I knock down 27-30 mpg in my ecodiesel. IF I deviate from my old man driving the numbers show it.

·
Read Only
594 Posts
It's a stretch and not real world. 55 mph with a tailwind for both.

The inline 6 is only because Hemi isn't going to make increasingly difficult emissions targets. Burning gases through a turbo makes for cleaner exhaust. Anyways I would rather not have the first few years of that motor.

·
Registered
224 Posts
His ED was 2wd vs. Hemi w/ 4wd & DFW area (less hills than most of us).

·
Super Moderator
3,311 Posts
5th gen Ram forum reviews using the same loop same 70 mph (on different dates) The ED Hemi & Pentastar. Averaging their display mileage and calculated mileage which was close on all 3 trucks.
ED averaged 30 mpg
Hemi averaged 19 mpg
Pentastar avgd 21.65

Good for a general idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many of you here know me from my long term ownership (3+ years) of an Ecodiesel. Two months ago, I traded it in on a Hemi. My main motivation was to get a 4WD pickup, but I was also a little scared of the lower end failures on the ED, didn't like the soot untuned, and didn't like the potential warranty implications of tuning. So I made the jump, and I know there were a limited number of reviews when I started looking several years ago so I figured I would write up my thoughts.

• When considering oil change prices, fuel price difference, DEF, fuel filters, etc., the mpg different isn't as big as it seems. I've gotten 25 mpg on the hwy in my Hemi (I had gotten 35 mpg in my ED), but I average closer to 19-20 mpg and 21-22 on normal hwy trips at 65-68 mph. My ED got 27.5 mpg average and 29-31 hwy at 65-68 mph.
  • On the flip side, if I had the standard size tank on my Hemi, it would be really, really difficult to go back to 450-500 miles on a tank when I'm used to 650-750 on the ED
  • The Hemi is somewhat of a paradox - I like the driveability way more in city traffic, but the mpg really tanks bad in the city compared to the ED. I was getting around 15 mpg on a few small stints in the city, whereas my ED I was still getting 23-24 mpg. That's over a 50% improvement when fuel is only 20% more.
  • Overall, I do like the driveability of the Hemi more - I felt like I had to anticipate acceleration with the ED slightly, and the Hemi just goes as soon as you push the gas
  • Towing capability at highway speeds is about even, but acceleration is much smoother with the ED due to the significantly better low-end torque
  • Oil filter location on the Hemi is dumb
As I said when I traded in my ED, I never would have traded it if I didn't have a relatively new need for a 4x4 pickup. But I also don't regret going to a Hemi. Both are nice trucks. The ED mpg and towing are both excellent. If you can live with the uncertainty of the EGR and bottom end issues, then it's fantastic. If you can't, the Hemi is a nice alternative.
Seems comparing a 2WD ED to 4WD Hemi isn’t a good comparison. The ED would do worse if it were 4WD.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,586 Posts
Seems comparing a 2WD ED to 4WD Hemi isn’t a good comparison. The ED would do worse if it were 4WD.
The EcoD might drop 1 mpg being 4X4, the extra weight/rotating mass doesn't effect it as much as you see with a gasser. There is members on here getting verbatim mpgs as this 2WD #s.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It's a stretch and not real world. 55 mph with a tailwind for both.

The inline 6 is only because Hemi isn't going to make increasingly difficult emissions targets. Burning gases through a turbo makes for cleaner exhaust. Anyways I would rather not have the first few years of that motor.
I am trying to understand your comment that says "Burning gases through a turbo makes for cleaner exhaust." I am thinking your word choice wasn't so good so explain what your were saying in a couple more sentences please.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts