RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had an EcoD since spring '14. I don't pay anywhere near that for maintenance stuff. Gallon jugs of Rotella T6 are pretty cheap. Oil filters are available for half of $44. I certainly don't use that much DEF nor does it cost that much. My costs are half what you've described, and I don't use any cold weather additives.
You must have an older Gen 2 engine. You cannot use Rotella in the Gen 3 engine, nor can you find filters for $20 bucks.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
You must have an older Gen 2 engine. You cannot use Rotella in the Gen 3 engine, nor can you find filters for $20 bucks.
Im still curious about the "cannot use Rotella" in them.... you know at first you absolutely couldn't use it in the Gen II's either lol. Per recommendations of people I trusted more than RAM I started using T6 a while before they made the official change to it. I dont recommend anyone do it, but if I was a betting man.... i'd bet you could run T6 in a Gen III all day long and it would be fine, what new parameter does it introduce that doesn't exist in the Gen II trucks?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine's a 2014.

I'd be comfortable using Rotella T6 in a Gen3. I think it would be difficult to put together a convincing argument as to why Rotella T6 is not up to the task of supporting a Gen3. By that I mean science, not "RAM says so." If your engine blew up and the dealer said "wrong oil," it'd be quite a challenge for them to support that assertion. Can't send the oil to a lab once it's been contaminated by draining it into some other container. Labs don't try to tell one oil from another, they're looking for engine problems.

Gen 3 use a different oil filter? I bought an oil filter on Amazon last week for $19.35. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IX694J0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

61 - 63 of 63 Posts