RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've frequently driven a friends frontier, it's not very comfortable. I would not buy one with or without a diesel.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very loud outside the cab and inside the cab , I would think it should get the same fuel mileage as the eco or maybe even a little better , because it's a Smaller truck with a smaller motor with less HP and TQ and less towing and weight rating .
It's nice to see other diesel's coming out into the market place , before we now it there will be diesel's everywhere :)

mike

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its definitely louder. that said, that was not a production truck so i wouldn't make any real concrete decisions about its quality or options or capabilities. but it is interesting/exciting to see because more diesel is more better :) that said, it is also a testament to ED if the 2.8L Cummins 4cyl in a mid-size truck with the same 8 speed ZF is going to be 29MPG highway, well we are seeing that in the 1500 1/2T Ram - pretty remarkable. i have to say if that Frontier wasn't pushing closer to 32-33mpg highway that i don't think i'd be too impressed. then again we don't have any idea about price point, and its probably a safe bet to say it won't be what a Laramie ED runs ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
price point has to be way less then the ED , but you never no , They have the Cummins name that everyone knows, Hopefully in a few year's everyone will no VM motor's , but the funny thing is that Ram doesn't even promote the VM name instead they made there own name up " Ecodiesel "

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nissan's pickups are relatively low production. The Titan and Frontier combined are about one-fifth the volume of Ram. Always good to have more choices, though.

The second-generation 2015 Titan with the 5L diesel should attract attention and provide a good heavy-duty half-ton option. If it had been available this year I would have taken a hard look at it.

A diesel Frontier may look good to people who want a pickup-styled runabout, but the chassis is too light duty for many. It's over a ton lighter than a Ram 1500 and has a tow rating of only 3500 lb. I read that they did not build a 4WD test version of the Frontier because there was not enough room and capacity for 4WD after the diesel and tranny were shoehorned in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What a waste of money. Lets buy a truck that has a diesel engine, only 2WD and can only haul 4000lbs. Why not just get a really nice diesel crossover?

Nissan is a lost company. Time and time again they fail at making cars. The leaf sucks, there VQ35 engine is a pile of elephant turds, the cube....that guy was smoking something really good, their CVT tranny's in the Murano costs huge $$$$ to fix, there Xterra drinks more gas than a HEMI v8. I could go on but it will get very annoying...

I would never buy a Nissan product. I would rather take a unicycle to work.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What a waste of money. Lets buy a truck that has a diesel engine, only 2WD and can only haul 4000lbs. Why not just get a really nice diesel crossover?

Nissan is a lost company. Time and time again they fail at making cars. The leaf sucks, there VQ35 engine is a pile of elephant turds, the cube....that guy was smoking something really good, their CVT tranny's in the Murano costs huge $$$$ to fix, there Xterra drinks more gas than a HEMI v8. I could go on but it will get very annoying...

I would never buy a Nissan product. I would rather take a unicycle to work.
Hey, what's wrong with a unicycle? They are small, portable, cheap, great for muscle and balance control, and loads of fun.

Nissans are fairly popular in the south where the trucks are made. Nissan has some stinkers in the lineup but so does everyone. The Frontier, Leaf and Quest are highly rated in their categories. The VQ engines have often been in Ward's 10 Best Engines list.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There's nothing award winning about the VQ engines...

Nissan North America named in class action lawsuit alleging failure to disclose defect in Timing Chain Systems which results in premature failure | Got a Class Action?

Ward made a huge mistake! I witnessed this turd engine blow up while I was in the passenger seat with black smoke everywhere. You guys should try and seafoam this engine and watch what happens... Make sure there is no police or fire around otherwise you'll attract a lot of attention.

The leaf is the worst electric car made! period. Even the GM EV1 had better range.

Can't say much about the quest (however read on and you'll see the same problems) or frontier...

I will agree that the 370Z is a good car. That engine is better however a gas guzzler. You might as well buy a V8 and have even more fun.

Oh I almost forgot.... Has anyone here tried to clean the throttle body on a 2.5/3.5 Nissan engine with throttle body cleaner? Yah make sure your near a shop who can reprogram your throttle body. Thats if your lucky enough if the cleaner didn't destroy the highly sensitive throttle body sensor. And no I didn't flood the throttle body with cleaner. small amounts were used and it still screwed the throttle sensors. Thats a $400 part btw.

I told you I can go on with these cars. I highly recommend people all the time to stay away from Nissan vehicles unless if its a sentra 1.8 or an SER (just don't service it yourself!).

I agree that other manufacturers including Chrysler have made some dumpy products but usually they learn from their mistakes. Nissan still makes these cars with the same set up. It's been 14 years since the first report of failure.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I can't speak much for their cars, I really have no experience with them. A good buddy had a pathfinder it was horrible on fuel and traded it in with less than 100k on it and he dumped it. The titans are imo a joke a sea of hard plastic horrible on fuel resale is disgraceful and not all that reliable....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Given that Nissan has built a BEAST of a race engine off that VQ line, the VK race engine line started as a COPY of the V6 built to a V8 according to Nissan's own engineers. To replace the TTV6 in the SuperGT and GT1/3 GTRs. And they have actually used that STREET VQ engine in the same LMP chassis in Europe to test and it was FAST. I don't think it is an engine line problem as much as ancillary parts being defective, including timing chains that were replaced at no charge on three Infiniti's buddies of mine have owned. Doubt that lawsuit will stand long as it is a claim of non-disclosure when they actually had service bulletins, but not recalls, go about about the timing chains already.

As for Seafoam, what do you expect from running something that smokes like a pothouse chimney in an old car to do in a new car?? It's not built for that application and they used to claim on the bottle itself, not meant for engines with emissions controls after 2007 just for that reason, too much recirculation and it will smoke like crazy and stink up the inside of the car with some cars. Putting an additive, that's been shown to be less than useful in modern cars, in just to claim there's a defective is fishing at best for a problem to complain about how crappy a car is.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There's a lot more to the VQ engine than just timing chains.I can send you some pics and show you why that engine burns 1 liter of oil every 1000km. I've rebuilt that engine and its a disaster. I hear what your saying about sea foam but I use it all the time in marine engines and in all my vehicles (haven't done it with the eco diesel obviously) and never have experienced what I had with that engine. The emission controls isn't too fancy with that engine either. It's actually forgiving and headers can be installed without throwing a CEL code if done right. Anyways sorry for throwing the topic off. Back to the truck guys!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wow. I was expecting a lot better fuel mileage than that. So why would I consider that over the Ram? I can't even think of one reason. And I was looking forward to the Cummins!!! But it's so loud. And even the journalist getting all excited about "shake rattle and roll." Pricing? His question at the end was about whether you're willing to "pay a premium" to get the diesel. I don't think so.

I was completely shocked at how quiet and un-diesel-like the Ram was. And impressed! My closest friend is into diesel tuning (he's the guy in the front seat beside my wife in the vid) and even got a Beetle TDi just because it's a diesel. Other than the bug, his other diesels are loud and smoky. He did not seem to be impressed with the Ram, probably because of how refined it is. Oh, and he has a Ram 2500 and an F250 along with a couple of 18-wheelers.

My point is that I guess different trucks will appeal to different people. I don't think the Ram will appeal to the coal rollers out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts