RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2010 Ford Focus with 150k on it. A month ago I thought I could smell antifreeze getting burned off. 2 weeks ago the wife said the car was sluggish. I drove it and didn't feel anything. Sunday the wife was headed to town and it would barely go. Check engine light came on and when I got home from work the coolant reservoir was empty. CEL cleared. Filled it back up and made an appointment. Today I tried to take it to the appointment and it was missing bad. Limped it there. Code says Misfiring on the #4 cylinder. Pull the spark plug and there is antifreeze on top of the piston. I figure head gasket or cracked head. Got a call in to a shop about repair estimates for each. In your experience how much money will it take to fix that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
More than it's worth, more than likely.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
In all seriousness, I'd guess it'll run just over a grand for the head gasket if that's all it is (closer to $1300 at a stealership). It's a boat-load of labor; might as well do timing belt while you're in there since the head has to come off anyway... timing belts are the single dumbest thing ever, IMHO.

Replacement head? More than that. ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had an '01 - new engine and pulling the old and swapping the new one in ran about $1000 (ebay engine w/50 miles and local shop). Might be worth checking to see if this is a cost viable option.

Repair they'll probably quote for a least 8 hours of labor - figure 1500 bucks minimum. If it's just the gasket, parts are *maybe* 100 bucks total, if that. It's the labor that'll get you. In reality, it'll probably be a 4-6 hour job at most for a competent mechanic (hell, if I could do a head gasket swap in under 6 hours on the zetec, I know a real mechanic will easy best that).

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
If your handy with tools and have an extra vehicle you could tackle it over time.

Does your local highschool have an auto mechanic shop? I know in highschool our autotech shop would do work if they had the ability and time for the cost of parts and a shop fee I believe.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i always give this advice in this scenario.... its not the value of the vehicle that determines if you should fix or not. lets say all said and done it costs $1800.

how much is a new car? 15k? 20k? if this car has been good to you, and judging by mileage on it you have had it a while, fix it. keep driving it. its a known quantity and $1800 out of pocket is way cheaper than a new car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't the foggiest idea. I just heard back from the shop I have been waiting to hear from. He said the focus heads are known for warping. They can get it in 2 weeks from today and the work will take 3 days and $1500. Time frame depends on the machine stop across the street. I am going to have it done.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I haven't the foggiest idea. I just heard back from the shop I have been waiting to hear from. He said the focus heads are known for warping. They can get it in 2 weeks from today and the work will take 3 days and $1500. Time frame depends on the machine stop across the street. I am going to have it done.
Since they can't get at it for two weeks, perhaps a getting a couple more quotes might make sense.

Others may not agree, but 150K miles is what I consider the end of reliable life for most cars. My reasoning is because of the unknown frequency of failures that will occur as well as their unknown cost. There is a lot to be said for a new car warranty, considering today's cost of parts and repair.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Junkyard engine may be an idea.

LKQ.com is a nationwide late model salvage company that guarantees EVERYTHING they sell. For a little more, they will also guarantee the labor costs. They have yards all over the country and do not charge to ship to your nearest yard.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought the wife a used 2012 Altima today. Paid cash. If it lasts 4 years I will be more than happy. Focus will sit there until it gets repaired then I will park the Ecodiesel and use it for hunting, fishing, towing, and a backup vehicle.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
For what its worth, I have had several Altimas as rental cars over the last 5 years or so and I always liked them.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wife had one when we got married. We drove the wheels off it and sold it to my brother in law with 186k on it. It had over 300k when he finally got rid of it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far was fine for 2 months. Wife drove it to work so I could do the service on her Altima. No issues. However after she got home and parked it now it won't start. Battery is good and I jumped it and it will start. However just turning the key over you hear a relay click and then nothing. Ideas?

·
Registered
345 Posts
So far was fine for 2 months. Wife drove it to work so I could do the service on her Altima. No issues. However after she got home and parked it now it won't start. Battery is good and I jumped it and it will start. However just turning the key over you hear a relay click and then nothing. Ideas?
I'll probably get chastised for saying this, but you have a bad battery. I had the same issue on my daughters Mazda 6. Battery tested good in every way I could test it, but it would not start the car. Would jump fine, but after that. When I would try to start it just relays clicking and the dashboard would do weird things. Lol

Changed the battery and all is well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'll probably get chastised for saying this, but you have a bad battery. I had the same issue on my daughters Mazda 6. Battery tested good in every way I could test it, but it would not start the car. Would jump fine, but after that. When I would try to start it just relays clicking and the dashboard would do weird things. Lol

Changed the battery and all is well.
Agree - sounds like bad (not old) battery. Just put a new one in wife's car - second in 9 months. Acted just like this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts