RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had green diesel do the high idle for me with tune cold here in winter winnipeg Canada ,when truck starts after 10 seconds high idle ramps up ,seems to idle high ,is it hard on engine that it ramps up so soon engine has not had long to loosen up at all ,any way i can turn it off ? or should i not worry about it let it rev cold

·
Registered
482 Posts
High idle is a good thing. It is factory equipped with the HD trucks. Depending on temp, the truck will raise idle to about 1000 rpm on its own during start up or extended idling periods. As well we can select high idle when parked, about 1100 rpm up to 1500. The manual states it is for emissions but also for guys using PTO options.

It works wonders when used with the exhaust brake on warm up.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Stock it ramps up to 1200 to 1400RPM when really cold. GDE ramps it further to 1500RPM after about 15 or 20 seconds and uses the turbo vanes to biuld back pressure to load the engine. Works good for me up here in Fort McMurray. Use it 2x per day at least.

·
Registered
13,888 Posts
Found out this week that when started in below freezing temperatures, just turn up the heater temperature. Each time I tried that after starting the idle went up. Lowered the heater temperature and the idle dropped a bit.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
617 Posts
Found out this week that when started in below freezing temperatures, just turn up the heater temperature. Each time I tried that after starting the idle went up. Lowered the heater temperature and the idle dropped a bit.
That's how it works stock. Helps but nothing compared to how GDE does their high idle. They put a lot of research into how to get the maximum amount of heat into the engine to warm it up much faster than stock for us in the realms of cold climates.

·
Registered
13,888 Posts
That's how it works stock. Helps but nothing compared to how GDE does their high idle. They put a lot of research into how to get the maximum amount of heat into the engine to warm it up much faster than stock for us in the realms of cold climates.
Learned something by venturing into the land of ice and snow. Never knew that 19 degrees does teach a lesson. Sure there's a lesson to learn about the heater temperature switch but that's not the important lesson. I learned from the past week to watch the weather in Georgia. If it's miserable, stay home. You gotta be nuts to try and live inside your refrigerator/freezer.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,203 Posts
i had green diesel do the high idle for me with tune cold here in winter winnipeg Canada ,when truck starts after 10 seconds high idle ramps up ,seems to idle high ,is it hard on engine that it ramps up so soon engine has not had long to loosen up at all ,any way i can turn it off ? or should i not worry about it let it rev cold
Turn your heater to off before starting. Let it idle slow for a few moments, then turn up the cab heater.

Mine does this stupid 1500 RPM rev when I start it, unless I turn off the heater. Makes me cringe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not well known, but if you want a manual fast Idle like on the HD truck that is controlled with the cruise control button, MRTuning have released this mod for the Ecodiesel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts