RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco about to be tuned and deleted at 30k
40 Posts
I can tell when my neighbor drives by. It smells like McDonald French fries. He is broken down half the time with fuel and injector issues. Biodiesel is not good in the long run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So far great help. Watched the video. So I will just remove all of it. It’s like 15 Lea problems and greatly increases everything on the engine. I’ll also run some additives for fuel.
Are those after market filters like recommend on the videos kinda snake oil or not ?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I can tell when my neighbor drives by. It smells like McDonald French fries. He is broken down half the time with fuel and injector issues. Biodiesel is not good in the long run.
If it smells like McDonalds, then you're talking about waste vegitable oil or converted WVO. Totally different animal than biodiesel. WVO will not work in any CR diesel, so nothing newer than 2006. Mostly used in pre-2003 models and needs some tinkering to get it to burn properly. On the VW forums, these are referred to as grease cars or grease kits. My understanding is that if you're running something like that, you'd best be prepared for a full tear down every 30-50k miles, depending on your oil source and how well you cleaned it up.

Biodiesel, on the otherhand, is sourced from renewable plants which can include alge. The main difference is that you process the plant oils instead of letting mother nature cook them in the ground for millions of years. There are Propel stations in Ca that sell alge based biodiesel. Many on the VW site report better mileage and smoother running primarily since the diesel is supplied at 50+ cetane rather than barely 40 for most US supply.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You might be right about the difference, All I know is he gets it running long enough to scrounge up waste fat fryer and does a bunch of shit with lye and heat. Thinks he’s saving the planet. As far as burning algae or French fries out your truck, good luck with that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Kasey
I too just joined this forum. And like you I recently bought a 2015 Ram Eco 4x4 4 door. Mine though has 100000 on it but looks and runs great so I joined this forum to learn how to better it. I did call HD tune and also GD tune. Man it was like they were scared to death to talk to me. Such as it is...I understand their situation... so I too request of our fellow forum members to help school us newbies on either of the companies and what would be recommended to add to the tune we select. On HD I was considering the tuner, pipe, trans tune etc but I'll wait for advice from the forum. I realize its a couple of K but if it will prolong my motor it's worth it. Thanks all
I installed the HD Diesel tune my 2016 eco this past Saturday and also did the diet plan on my truck to lighten it up. I am ecstatic with the tune and everything. I also install an mbrp filter back exhaust system so I no longer have a muffler or resonator on it. I couldn't be happier with the sound or the performance. In my most humble opinion, if you're gonna spend over a grand on a tune, get one that also will allow you to lighten up the truck. While I don't have a many miles or time with the tune, I can say that so far I am extremely happy with it. The only negative thing I can say about it is the trans shifts are alot different and I'm not real crazy about the way it shifts. However, I have read some things on thus forum and researched other places that say it gets better with time because our transmissions are "learning" transmissions and after the tune they have to "learn" your driving habits again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That helps me... how about you Kasey? Raftguy?
One thing to add to this is, the stage 2 doesn't just allow for deleting the dpf, scr, and def. You have to delete it with the stage 2 because it turns everything off and if you don't delete the dpf will become clogged because it won't regen. The clogged dpf will cause back pressure issues and more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing to add to this is, the stage 2 doesn't just allow for deleting the dpf, scr, and def. You have to delete it with the stage 2 because it turns everything off and if you don't delete the dpf will become clogged because it won't regen. The clogged dpf will cause back pressure issues and more.
This is a very important point. Thanks for mentioning that straight out. Your DPF will clog and eventually you have a clogged exhaust in a short time. Not sure exactly what will happen but it will be expensive. I just received all my HD Diesel stuff today. Stage 2 Tune/ tranny, “off road” exhaust. Apparently the exhaust is a bitch to remove because the sensor connections are hard to get at. I’m cleaning the EGR tube MAP sensor at the same time. Hoping to get a looksee into the intake manifold. 28k miles.
then I’m changing oil. Done with soot! I’m putting it all back to where it came from. Black soot matters

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the update. I just got my HD tune put in today. I actually contacted HD because I have a full DEF tank I noticed it fell to half. They were quick to respond that that is normal because it is no longer used. So now I need to research all I need to remove. Lol. “The Domino Effect “ sigh.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts