RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched for this online and can't find a specific answer to the Ecodiesels. What is considered a High EGT temp for this engine? I realize this depends on what you're doing with the truck and where you're located/altitude etc etc. Can we use the rule of thumb that peak temps (short not sustained temps) of 1200 deg F max unloaded, 1300 deg F when loaded/towing? Anybody have anything definitive?

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
I normally run in the 600 degrees F. range under normal operation. If towing, It often goes to 700 -800 degrees. Now during regenerations it will go to the 1,200 to `1,300 *F range.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Here is some info from Banks regarding EGTs.

If you see EGTs climbing over 1300º F., the fastest way to reduce the amount of fuel going to the engine is to back off the accelerator pedal. Another possible solution is to downshift if your speed permits it. For example, while the engine might be capable of producing enough power to pull the load in fifth gear at high EGTs, running in fourth gear at lower EGTs is definitely easier on the engine as long as the engine's RPM red line is not exceeded.

So far, we've been talking about peak sustained EGTs at full power or under a heavy load, and certainly EGT needs to be kept within limits for engine and turbocharger reliability. At all other times, the EGT of a turbo-diesel will be lower, usually below 1000º F., and sometimes much lower. Such low EGTs pose no threat. In fact, the lower the EGT for a given speed and load, the more efficiently the engine is running.

Reactions: Boxcab

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Under sustained hard acceleration i see something in the neighborhood of 1,450 to 1500F. Won't go higher than that. GDE has some info on their site. I seem to recall the hot tune allowong a slightly higher defuel threshold.

The limit i think is the turbine.

I should clarify that this reading is from the egt1 probe... i think that is pre turbine. Someone can correct me if i am off... happens often.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
How Hot Is Too Hot?

Based on our own experience in the sled pulling and drag racing world, we can definitely say that any engine running at 1,800 to 2,000 degrees EGT for more than a second or two should be rebuilt every season and may incur turbocharger, cylinder head, or piston damage during the season. It's just too much to ask a diesel to run at those types of temperatures. For towing, we'd say 1,200 degrees is a safe number, with occasional spikes of up to 1,400 degrees when climbing grades being an acceptable risk. The concept of EGT is analogous to putting something in the oven. You can put your hand in a hot oven for a second or two, and nothing will happen. Leave it in there, and you'll get burned. The same thing happens in a diesel engine. The longer the engine spends at a high EGT, the more likely it is to become damaged.
ref- The Truth About EGT - Diesel Power Magazine

Reactions: CDNLaramie

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Here are some assumptions on my part, so take with a grain of salt. Below is the results of a maximum attainable EGT test for a Duramax engine. Under full load conditions, the pre-turbo EGT never exceeds 1280F. It appears that the design meets the commonly accepted criteria of 1300F max EGT. If our engines exceed 1300F, then I would guess that it wasn't designed properly, or perhaps too much power is being generated for its displacement. Don't forget, this engine was designed for cars and they would never see the sustained loads that we impose on it. Just some thoughts...

As an after thought, has anyone considered that this may be relevant to some of the engine failures that we have seen?

EGT Duramax.jpg

Reactions: CDNLaramie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies

I had seen the articles mentioned above. My main reason for wanting to know is monitoring for peak acceptable temp for Turbo EGTs. I'm using the Torque app so I can see and log Turbo EGT, DPF EGT, etc etc. One average the Turbo EGT temps unloaded during my commute never peak above 1100 deg F (pulling out into traffic, full boost kind of thing). My observation is the average EGT temp is going to completely depend on driving style as the more loaded up the engine/turbo is the higher the EGT average temp is. (anything between 550-900 deg F seems to be the norm depending on engine load)

The main thing I wanted was to set an alarm in Torque so I know if I'm pushing it too hard. I've currently set it for 1150, wasn't sure if that was too high or too low for this engine as it "aint no cummins" according to the local RAM dealer. During towing (6000lbs or less) I see max EGTs around 1250-1260 with my driving style and averages lower than that but I keep it slow. Also keep in mind I mostly travel/tow/commute in Florida where there isn't a mountain or a grade for hundreds of miles.

·
Registered
575 Posts
With a heavy foot towing 5000lbs ripping up some large grades I have seen spikes of 1500F in stock form. After being tuned it dropped about 100F. The numbers posted above are good ballparks to go by. I believe the main concern would be the melting point of any aluminum parts, so you wouldn't want to see sustained temps above 1300F for any long periods of time. Not apples to apples, but when I tune my sleds, I like to have them setup to run about 1280F MAX on WOT pulls, which does leave a bit of wiggle room as pistons start to melt around 1350F. I don't like long walks home in the snow and cold....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Everything seems to point back to the miniscule turbo. I understand the small turbo provides little lag but at the same time under load it isn't flowing enough air for the fuel required to sustain power under load without sending egt temps through the roof. I agree with the above post about engine purpose. This probably wouldn't be a issue in a car or lighter vehicle but put it in a 6k pound empty truck and it's always under load. Just hate that the engineers didn't leave any room to compensate. The only proper fix is another turbo and it's not cheap

·
Registered
238 Posts
No bashing the truck here. I love mine and it works well for what it is. However I can smash through 1400-1500 degrees at egt 1 unloaded by smashing the pedal on any kind of grade. I think fca rushed things quite a bit in the engineering department. That's why the truck only provides maximum power for a limited time before it starts derating. Not enough cooling capacity and too high egt's. If I had bought it ad a tow rig I may be disappointed but I have a cummins for that so it makes a fantastic daily driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe GDE stated max sustained egt is 1550, but I keep it below 1400 to be safe.
I put water meth injection in mine,
so I'm towing up Hills like a boss :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
After the GDE tune mine hit 1450 deg F pulling a steep hill towing my RV I called GDE and they said don't worry about it the engine will derate if it gets to high. High heat like that can melt and damage the tips of the turbine wheel in some engines so I would prefer to keep the temp lower. My turbo would hit 25 lbs of boost which is plenty for a truck and engine this size, higher boost = higher heat so more boost is not always better.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I believe GDE stated max sustained egt is 1550, but I keep it below 1400 to be safe.
I put water meth injection in mine,
so I'm towing up Hills like a boss :cool:
Did you use a kit for the water/meth injection? Which one? Would love to hear about your setup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you use a kit for the water/meth injection? Which one? Would love to hear about your setup.
I'm using an AEM water meth kit. Installed the AFE pipes and welded a threaded bung right after the intercooler. using a little 250cc nozzle with boost proportional injection. -40 blue washer fluid which is about a 50/50 mix.

even with the smallest nozzle, there's noticeable power and fuel economy gains while towing. towing my 6000lb travel trailer in mountainous British Columbia, I usually get 17-18mpg.

Also, if you've ever looked inside your intake manifold, its usually pretty gnarly. water meth injection cleans that right up, valves and all. one of the main reasons I put it in.

Reactions: lucskoj

·
Registered
116 Posts
Motor goat: So your AEM water/meth kit cleans up all the deposits and caking of soot caused by the EGR into the intake and on the swirl valves? So the abrasive soot melts down and doesn't hurt the engine? Is it emissions compliant?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Motor goat: So your AEM water/meth kit cleans up all the deposits and caking of soot caused by the EGR into the intake and on the swirl valves? So the abrasive soot melts down and doesn't hurt the engine? Is it emissions compliant?
It cleans it up slowly so there's no harm to the engine. If you plan on injecting a lot of it though, you should start off slow. Use a small nozzle for the first 6 months or so. I ended up just sticking with the small nozzle because I don't want to go through a gallon per hour when I'm towing. Also. With the small nozzle there is basically zero chance of hydrolocking your engine.

I don't know how it fares with emissions compliance. I do know that methanol burns very clean and the mixture will improve overall combustion efficiency.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
13 Posts
I normally run in the 600 degrees F. range under normal operation. If towing, It often goes to 700 -800 degrees. Now during regenerations it will go to the 1,200 to `1,300 *F range.
are you towing a skateboarder? I can hit 700 pretty easy off a red light, not towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to see pic's of the intake from an ecodiesel after water/meth.
well i dont want to pull it off just for a pic, but if i ever do, ill take some pictures for sure. ive tried to get pictures from the old egr port and though the inlet, but they didnt turn out well. i can see the work its doing by looking in with a flashlight though.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ran water meth for two years with no noticable difference in my intake manifold, even ran it so aggressive for a while I would go 8 gallons with every tank of fuel. At the end of it I came to the conclusion it adds 15 rwhp and helps lower egts a tiny bit but thats about it. Long term one is better off with a compound turbo setup.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts