RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is just not much to talk about with the Cummins and that is a good thing. Did learn something on a two-week hunting trip in Georgia. it go to freezing there one morning so i started the truck early and let it warm. Noticed the idle change. Tried something.

In "park", turn on the cruise control. That put the engine into a higher idle and it warmed faster.

Hunting trip was wonderful. One nice buck and multiple does for meat and fun. All brought to me through the travels of the Cummins.

In Georgia the limit is 10 does and two bucks. Just on the last morning there I scoped and could have taken 16 does and 4 bucks, three of which were big ones. Enough is enough andI am keeping one buck tag for later in the season so I can go back and have more fun, thanks to Cummins.

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
89 Posts
Interesting, next cool snap we have i may give it a try:unsure:, till i do my tune up anyway :rolleyes: Nice Buck Too(y)

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,038 Posts
Ten deer sounds freaking delicious!

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried the cruise on while parked and warmed up today. It immediately went to about 1,050 rpm. That tells me you do not have to be cold to get the idle rpm's to go up and stay there.

Now my guess is it is time to try that + - on the cruise to see if it does change the rpm's. That might really be a good thing to finish a regeneration if you happen to be stopped.

Reactions: canuck

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice looking buck, Cap! My girlfriend shot a 500 lb moose, I got a good eating 175 lb bear and have a bunch of deer meat in the deep freeze. Gotta love it.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
89 Posts
tried mine this morning (42 deg) and either i'm doing it incorrectly or does not have capability on my '16:confused:, but tuning soon anyway;)

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tried mine this morning (42 deg) and either i'm doing it incorrectly or does not have capability on my '16:confused:, but tuning soon anyway;)
I did read that this would work for say 2018 up unless the dealer programmed it to do that. That is something you could look into.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did read that this would work for say 2018 up unless the dealer programmed it to do that. That is something you could look into.
Didn’t work for me on my 2015 ram 1500
ok got along without up till now guess I can continue

·
Registered
441 Posts
I use it frequently. While it high idles on its own, I like to lock it in around 1000rpm and have the exhaust brake engaged. It warms up damn near as fast as a gasser. Makes a big difference when its -30. Ahhh who am I kidding? It was only -11c this morning.

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use it frequently. While it high idles on its own, I like to lock it in around 1000rpm and have the exhaust brake engaged. It warms up damn near as fast as a gasser. Makes a big difference when its -30. Ahhh who am I kidding? It was only -11c this morning.
How does having the exhaust brake help?

I read something about that being an additional factor. Did not realize it would maybe hold exhaust back when not moving and somehow further increase engine temperature.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ya the EB provides some load to the engine but only up to some sort of coolant temo (cannot recall at this time) then it kicks out.

Try it next cold start, then hop out and go to the passenger side and listen to it whistle. Mine likes to sing on this real cold mornings.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Ya the EB provides some load to the engine but only up to some sort of coolant temo (cannot recall at this time) then it kicks out.

Try it next cold start, then hop out and go to the passenger side and listen to it whistle. Mine likes to sing on this real cold mornings.
The exhaust brake on 2007 and newer is just the vgt turbo its not a separate item like the older none vgt. It makes no difference on warmup anymore on or off.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes the EB is just a different use for the variable vanes. I disagree on its use for warm up. While I have not compared warmup times in the extreme cold, it is noticeable when using it. The windshield actually thaws out.

As well it is highlighted in the manual that it aids in warmup.

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two weeks from now I have to go back to my place in Georgia. It does get cold, below freezing in the mornings, there. If so, I will test.

As for cold here, it was in the low 60's this morning but soon went up to 80*. Not much chance to test here in South Florida.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It was a balmy -5c today. As the snow stopped i was able to get some work done, its quite nice out.

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was a balmy -5c today. As the snow stopped i was able to get some work done, its quite nice out.
Cold with snow is miserable. The only thing nice about that is being far from that misery.

Just came back from an 8 mile bicycle ride at dawn. it was in the low 60's at start so I wore a long-sleeve shirt. 80's later today. Will not need high idle.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cold with snow is miserable. The only thing nice about that is being far from that misery.

Just came back from an 8 mile bicycle ride at dawn. it was in the low 60's at start so I wore a long-sleeve shirt. 80's later today. Will not need high idle.
You might need the high idle to keep the AC cool while waiting on Mrs. Captainmal. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts