RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2014 Laramie ED about 6 months ago with 189,000 miles. This is my first diesel and honestly hadn’t ever heard of the Ecodiesel until I found this truck. I’ve always worked on my own vehicles but since I’ve never had a diesel I’m still catching up on learning about diesels. With that being said I’m trying to get some insights from people with experience with these engines.

I bought this truck during the summer. I noticed a slight drip coming from what I figured was just AC condensation. Well one day I was pulling my boat up about a mile long mountain on a 65 mph highway, I was in a hurry so I wasn’t taking it easy on her. I got to the top of the mountain fine then I started to notice it losing power. Overheating warnings started to pop up so I found a place to pull over and I checked my temps. If I can recall correctly my oil temp was near 290 and coolant around 270. Got it towed to the shop and they replaced my radiator. They said the plastic on the radiator busted. They also told me I needed my EGR cooler replaced ASAP because that’s what was doing the dripping. Didn’t even make it home before it started rolling coolant smoke out the exhaust. Got the EGR cooler replaced through a recall. A couple weeks later it ran hot again but I wasn’t towing and I caught it sooner this time. It ended up being the coolant line going to the turbo.

Now it has 196,000 miles and at this point I’m spooked about what else will fail because of it running hot, especially as bad as the first time was. Has anybody ran theirs hot to that extreme? Should I be finding it a new home?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a 2014 Laramie ED about 6 months ago with 189,000 miles. This is my first diesel and honestly hadn’t ever heard of the Ecodiesel until I found this truck. I’ve always worked on my own vehicles but since I’ve never had a diesel I’m still catching up on learning about diesels. With that being said I’m trying to get some insights from people with experience with these engines.

I bought this truck during the summer. I noticed a slight drip coming from what I figured was just AC condensation. Well one day I was pulling my boat up about a mile long mountain on a 65 mph highway, I was in a hurry so I wasn’t taking it easy on her. I got to the top of the mountain fine then I started to notice it losing power. Overheating warnings started to pop up so I found a place to pull over and I checked my temps. If I can recall correctly my oil temp was near 290 and coolant around 270. Got it towed to the shop and they replaced my radiator. They said the plastic on the radiator busted. They also told me I needed my EGR cooler replaced ASAP because that’s what was doing the dripping. Didn’t even make it home before it started rolling coolant smoke out the exhaust. Got the EGR cooler replaced through a recall. A couple weeks later it ran hot again but I wasn’t towing and I caught it sooner this time. It ended up being the coolant line going to the turbo.

Now it has 196,000 miles and at this point I’m spooked about what else will fail because of it running hot, especially as bad as the first time was. Has anybody ran theirs hot to that extreme? Should I be finding it a new home?
As of a month ago, I had a 2015 ecodiesel bighorn. I loved that truck, but ....
I had similar episodes with my truck. So here is my advice and observations .
EGR is the root of all evil. It will leak.it will soot up your air intake. It will throw some codes because your MAP is clogged and needs cleaning (very easy to do,and cheap) I suspect it heats up your coolant and over pressurizes the coolant degasser botitle. I think the heat friggs up the 3 way coolant valve (easy fix). And , the themostat leak. This has been my trucks problems. At 196000 miles, I would consider these to be “typical” and with a new EGR you should be ok from here on ,and unless you have damage from the over heat. With 7000 miles you put on it, I guess the engine would have been letting you know something else was wrong by now.
Keep an ear out for you turbo( not cheap or easy)
At this mileage keep an ear out for wheel bearing noise.
Get a new MAP sensor and install it yourself(5 minutes). The old one will tell you what is in you intake. Mine was cleaned 5 times before I got a new EGR.
My truck got to 263 degrees around 70000 miles and went to 125000 miles before I traded it.
I was still getting 26mpg when I traded it in for a 2021 longhorn ecodiesel .
Just remember it’s 196000 miles....
There are a lot of smart people on this forum. They may have a whole different view of this, but I think you bought a truck with a bunch of miles on it knowing that there may be issues as with any vehicle.
Drive it, and have fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of a month ago, I had a 2015 ecodiesel bighorn. I loved that truck, but ....
I had similar episodes with my truck. So here is my advice and observations .
EGR is the root of all evil. It will leak.it will soot up your air intake. It will throw some codes because your MAP is clogged and needs cleaning (very easy to do,and cheap) I suspect it heats up your coolant and over pressurizes the coolant degasser botitle. I think the heat friggs up the 3 way coolant valve (easy fix). And , the themostat leak. This has been my trucks problems. At 196000 miles, I would consider these to be “typical” and with a new EGR you should be ok from here on ,and unless you have damage from the over heat. With 7000 miles you put on it, I guess the engine would have been letting you know something else was wrong by now.
Keep an ear out for you turbo( not cheap or easy)
At this mileage keep an ear out for wheel bearing noise.
Get a new MAP sensor and install it yourself(5 minutes). The old one will tell you what is in you intake. Mine was cleaned 5 times before I got a new EGR.
My truck got to 263 degrees around 70000 miles and went to 125000 miles before I traded it.
I was still getting 26mpg when I traded it in for a 2021 longhorn ecodiesel .
Just remember it’s 196000 miles....
There are a lot of smart people on this forum. They may have a whole different view of this, but I think you bought a truck with a bunch of miles on it knowing that there may be issues as with any vehicle.
Drive it, and have fun.
Appreciate the input and you’re right I bought it knowing the risk of a high mileage truck. But for the price I paid for it I thought it was worth the risk. Since I’ve had it I’ve had lower ball joints replaced, plus all the stuff I talked about with the coolant. Right after I bought it and done some research I pulled the EGR tube and MAP sensor to clean while I was putting a aFe cold air intake on.I’m considering deleting and tuning the truck but I’m trying to decide if it’s worth doing it at this point since it’s already got almost 200k miles.

I done the V08 recall that had money compensation and an extended warranty on the emissions. So I can either use that compensation to do a full delete and tune but lose the warranty or maybe go a emissions intact option like a Banks Derringer. Anybody got some insight on that?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Appreciate the input and you’re right I bought it knowing the risk of a high mileage truck. But for the price I paid for it I thought it was worth the risk. Since I’ve had it I’ve had lower ball joints replaced, plus all the stuff I talked about with the coolant. Right after I bought it and done some research I pulled the EGR tube and MAP sensor to clean while I was putting a aFe cold air intake on.I’m considering deleting and tuning the truck but I’m trying to decide if it’s worth doing it at this point since it’s already got almost 200k miles.

I done the V08 recall that had money compensation and an extended warranty on the emissions. So I can either use that compensation to do a full delete and tune but lose the warranty or maybe go a emissions intact option like a Banks Derringer. Anybody got some insight on that?
We have a member on here that just passed 400k miles on his deleted ecodiesel and another that is nearing 700k miles on his truck and second motor. They first motor failed because of a similar situation to yours. His EGR had failed and was leaking coolant and he didn't realize it and blew a headgasket while towing. Sounds like you didn't blow your head gasket, so you may be good. The coolant never fully leaves the degras bottle, so you need to make sure it stays above the seem.

The engine derates power once the oil reaches 267 degrees to protect itself. I think you are probably ok, and I would for sure tune it and at minimum delete the EGR.

Also, I have yet to see a warranty be denied for a tune. But that is stage 1, not a full delete. Banks isn't a "true" tune as it simply changes the information the ECM receives to "deceive" it into making more power. If you want an emissions intact tune, go with GDE's new tune. If you want a tune that disabled the EGR, go with SFT or one from north of the border.

Reactions: VernDiesel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a member on here that just passed 400k miles on his deleted ecodiesel and another that is nearing 700k miles on his truck and second motor. They first motor failed because of a similar situation to yours. His EGR had failed and was leaking coolant and he didn't realize it and blew a headgasket while towing. Sounds like you didn't blow your head gasket, so you may be good. The coolant never fully leaves the degras bottle, so you need to make sure it stays above the seem.

The engine derates power once the oil reaches 267 degrees to protect itself. I think you are probably ok, and I would for sure tune it and at minimum delete the EGR.

Also, I have yet to see a warranty be denied for a tune. But that is stage 1, not a full delete. Banks isn't a "true" tune as it simply changes the information the ECM receives to "deceive" it into making more power. If you want an emissions intact tune, go with GDE's new tune. If you want a tune that disabled the EGR, go with SFT or one from north of the border.
I spoke to VernDiesel through PM and he gave me his wisdom. I’m going to go for it and get the SFT stage 2 with full delete like I was wanting to do before all these coolant issues started. After those issues I was honestly spooked to the point I wanted to just get rid of the truck because I don’t want to put a motor in it anytime soon, especially after I spend a couple thousand with a tune / delete. But at this point it’s now or never.

Y’all feel free to drop links of your tune / delete build parts (Exhaust setup, EGR delete kit, exhaust tips) I’m trying to build something quality at the best price point.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I think you have a good ounlock on things. You bought at a good price. You can expect a longer life out of this engine. The known issues have already occurred. And you are educating yourself .
I have noticed that a lot of the engine failures occurred early on in the engines life. You are now addressing the “weak link”, the egr/emissions.
Have you cleaned the EGR tube(easy and fast)? If no, take it off and peek inside the intake. The EGR clogs up the swirl valves in there and that will eventually throw a code.
Be positive! Have fun with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you have a good ounlock on things. You bought at a good price. You can expect a longer life out of this engine. The known issues have already occurred. And you are educating yourself .
I have noticed that a lot of the engine failures occurred early on in the engines life. You are now addressing the “weak link”, the egr/emissions.
Have you cleaned the EGR tube(easy and fast)? If no, take it off and peek inside the intake. The EGR clogs up the swirl valves in there and that will eventually throw a code.
Be positive! Have fun with it.
The first thing I done after I bought it was pull the EGR tube and MAP sensor to clean. I want to hurry up and get it deleted because knowing it’s just getting worse in there the more I drive it bothers the hell out of me! As soon as that FCA check comes in it’ll be deleted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts