RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Some are up and over 200,000. One here is near 1/2 a million. I just have about 92,000. Getting broken in and ready to run.
*sarcastic voice* Remember, that one near 500k had an engine replacement at 375k. It was only hauling campers cross country it's entire life.

Only 50k here.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,157 Posts
Near 400K out of the first engine and the whole way out of the transmission and running gear is admirable. Especially when you look at how it was used and strained for all those miles.

Darn thing still looks good too. That kind of longevity and usage is sure rare and a testimony to the product.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Near 400K out of the first engine and the whole way out of the transmission and running gear is admirable. Especially when you look at how it was used and strained for all those miles.

Darn thing still looks good too. That kind of longevity and usage is sure rare and a testimony to the product.
Damn right Cap! And speaks to use-case...good highway runs/towing are what this engine needs...

OP - I have 127K now, with a only one wheel bearing, a radiator (both warranted) and a DEF line heater having gone bad. Run mine steady, not hard...and LOVE IT.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Toedrag , that member (( Vern )) at 500,000 miles had engine replacement at 375,000 like others have said ,
but he discovered something important when he got that failure at 375,000 , he made everybody benefit from his findings
read the first post in this thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html
keep an eye on that pink bottle on your truck , if Vern would have kept coolant in his bottle higher he may have gotten a lot more miles
from the initial engine , the teardown ( autopsy ) of the initial engine showed tired main bearings , but the low coolant was the main reason for his first engine dying .

·
Registered
602 Posts
There are many things I do on a regular basis for my diesel trucks. Both work and personal. Make sure weekly check of coolent bottle, oil and connections and hoses. Check ground under truck and tires. Do oil and filters on time and do 11 Qt oil not the 10.5 mine called for. Use fuel treatment and higher turn over fuel stations. Plug truck in when it's 30 or below and make sure the truck is at at least 100° before it moves (that's year round ) and not to romp on it before 150°. And let turbo spool down after highway use and let idle for about 2 min before I shut down. And make sure to run it on the highway if I do a lot of in town. So far 91,000 no lights or regeneration messages.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought a '14 with 3:55 gears from a friend. It has 75k miles. Stripped of all smog since 20k and only ran with shaeffers 5-40. 60hp ppei race tune. Never had one issue or one code. Has towed 7k many times.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
At 112k and some change.
GDE tuned for near 100k of those miles.
Many oil changes, air filters, and fuel filters, and getting ready for 3rd set of tires sometime before snow comes.

Reactions: fxober and pqw3413

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
There are many things I do on a regular basis for my diesel trucks. Both work and personal. Make sure weekly check of coolent bottle, oil and connections and hoses. Check ground under truck and tires. Do oil and filters on time and do 11 Qt oil not the 10.5 mine called for. Use fuel treatment and higher turn over fuel stations. Plug truck in when it's 30 or below and make sure the truck is at at least 100° before it moves (that's year round ) and not to romp on it before 150°. And let turbo spool down after highway use and let idle for about 2 min before I shut down. And make sure to run it on the highway if I do a lot of in town. So far 91,000 no lights or regeneration messages.
I do all of the above and Agree 100% including 11qts.

158k...4th set of tires...GDE for 101k...1 CEL for censor replaced at 119k covered by extended warranty.

Prefer Delo 5w40 and WIX WL10060 never went longer than 9,500 on a change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All,

thanks for the previous comments. I could use some suggestions. I am approaching 100K and the end of my warranty. I am a little gun shy after having to replace the engine at around 75K. I always took great care of it - oil, filters, treatments and did a lot of Highway driving. My gut tells me to look into an extended warranty. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
All,

thanks for the previous comments. I could use some suggestions. I am approaching 100K and the end of my warranty. I am a little gun shy after having to replace the engine at around 75K. I always took great care of it - oil, filters, treatments and did a lot of Highway driving. My gut tells me to look into an extended warranty. Any Ideas?
I'm beginning to think with them. If you can get a warranty that will be honored, go for it. But like I've heard it sed if you make it this far and haven't had an issue you probably won't. But even with some care, if it's your turn. Well it's your turn.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
All,

Depends on the length of coverage for the 'new' engine vs the overall truck. 120k is the longest I am aware of, which I had and lost money on in the end. I was OK with that, meant I had a great vehicle with little to no shop time.

Does an extended warranty cover the engine from the install at 75K moving forward meaning a 120k extended will cover new motor to 195k on the truck overall OR expire when overall truck hits 120k?

That should likely determine your decision. If EGR is still active tuning it and shutting off the EGR may be money better spent??

Reactions: Shwingblade

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,305 Posts
At 100,000, I wouldn't spend money on an extended warranty. Can't imagine that it would be very cheap. As shawclan5 said, spend the money on the tune or elsewhere. Heck, if nothing else, put it in the bank for savings towards the eventual replacement.

·
Registered
453 Posts
How far are you want it to go? I believe most people will not keep them to 200,000 or any vehicle for that. I know at my work just me and one other guy is over 200,000 everybody else just looks at us and can't believe where driving one with that many miles.
Nice two trucks both running well at over 200K.... thanks @Another

1 - 20 of 61 Posts