RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
67k and runs fine except I have a rear end or trans or wheel bearing going out. Taking it in tomorrow to troubleshoot the whine. Engine runs great but feels a little rougher lately. No metal in oil though. Only other issues I've had are the tailgate issue, squeaky driver door, and a window that decides to occasionally stop working.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Plain for mine is run it to 130k have it tuned, trade the wife wagon. Give her the truck and go get a 3/4 ton Cummins. All this was her idea. Soooooo I'm ALL IN! She will probably get better fuel economy with a tune in the truck then she does in the 4 banger Captiva.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,305 Posts
My idea is to drive it until my granddaughter needs a car and then give her this truck. I'll then get something new and determine at that time if I need something bigger. She's 2 and a half, so I have a while to rack up my own miles. She currently thinks that the truck is the best vehicle out there.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
My idea is to drive it until my granddaughter needs a car and then give her this truck. I'll then get something new and determine at that time if I need something bigger. She's 2 and a half, so I have a while to rack up my own miles. She currently thinks that the truck is the best vehicle out there.
Good plan in the "old days" when vehicles were far less complex, but wait for an out of warranty repair to change your mind. My GMC Duramax developed a head gasket leak out of warranty and that set me back $8K. That convinced me to get a new truck with extended warranty and sell before it ends. To own any modern complex vehicle out of warranty is financial suicide, in my opinion.

·
Registered
544 Posts
160k on my 14 ED. Tuned and deleted for last 10k. Runs great. Drives great. Oil changed per EVIC at 20% life remaining usually 13k.

Gonna drive it till it gives me major problems, and trade to for a square body GMC or Chev 1500 4x4...a classic as it were.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,305 Posts
Good plan in the "old days" when vehicles were far less complex, but wait for an out of warranty repair to change your mind. My GMC Duramax developed a head gasket leak out of warranty and that set me back $8K. That convinced me to get a new truck with extended warranty and sell before it ends. To own any modern complex vehicle out of warranty is financial suicide, in my opinion.
As you said, to each there own. Yes, I will keep an eye on maintenance costs and use that as a measure for when to get rid of any vehicle. My daughter's 05 Corolla has around 180k miles and she's hoping to see it cross 200. My wife's 10 VW wagen has about 135k miles on it and is still plugging away. The nice thing with that is the new warranty from Dieselgate. I'm covered for about another 50,000 miles for anything under the hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How far are you want it to go? I believe most people will not keep them to 200,000 or any vehicle for that. I know at my work just me and one other guy is over 200,000 everybody else just looks at us and can't believe where driving one with that many miles.
I just sold my 98 Chevy 1500 to buy this EcoDiesel. It had 250,000 miles on the original 5.7L, replaced the transmission almost immediately after it rolled over 200k mi but that was it for major repair. That was a great truck. But you're right about how rare it is to keep a truck that long. I doubt I'll keep any truck that long again. Just because now I can afford to upgrade. I believe most trucks will outlast our ownership of them if we take care of them. We'll see how many I end up putting on this one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sad, but I think correct. What's the 2nd and 3rd owner going to do? I sold my '96 2500 with 93K on it in 2016. Plowed most of it's life but was maintained. No engine, trans or 4wd issues. I was the 2nd owner and as far as I know, it's still going strong 22 years young. My 2018 with all the computers and electronics? It won't outlive THAT truck.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well I just celebrated 1year and 20k untuned trouble free miles on my 14 and looking to do 25k next year. So I'm now a 94,281 and climbing. And on October 18 it goes from Mo. To Sd. Then the week after that we go on the yearly pilgrimage to Bennett Springs with the Hideout in tow.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’m at 141,000 miles. The fuel pump was replaced under warranty early on. The rest is all original including Brake pads. Lots of highway driving.
Oil changes, air and fuel filters and tires. Nothing else. EGR deleted and a GDE tune. Love this truck. Simple and Low maintenance.
Some say diesels are higher maintenance than gas engines, not sure why. Besides fuel filter changed every 30,000 miles and nearly double the interval on oil changes this diesel has been very low maintenance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are many things I do on a regular basis for my diesel trucks. Both work and personal. Make sure weekly check of coolent bottle, oil and connections and hoses. Check ground under truck and tires. Do oil and filters on time and do 11 Qt oil not the 10.5 mine called for. Use fuel treatment and higher turn over fuel stations. Plug truck in when it's 30 or below and make sure the truck is at at least 100° before it moves (that's year round ) and not to romp on it before 150°. And let turbo spool down after highway use and let idle for about 2 min before I shut down. And make sure to run it on the highway if I do a lot of in town. So far 91,000 no lights or regeneration messages.
Why, 11 Qt oil not the 10.5 called for?

/D

21 - 40 of 61 Posts