RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Total Towing mileage
That's awesome - 66% of all your miles are towing! So it's not like your truck is a just a grocery getter. The engine is working nearly all the time - love it.

I'm a firm believer that this engine is happiest when it's working and/or out on the highway. Mine just doesn't run as well if I'm doing mostly in-town or suburban driving.

Diesel78, thanks for posting your info.

Bob

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
1,779 Posts
2016 just turned 2 years of ownership. 143,000 km at present. Egr cooler leaked and EGR deleted at 98,000 km and GDE tuned at same time. Tailgate drop recall, brakes done at 88k km. Oil changes every 8 to 10k km.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Why, 11 Qt oil not the 10.5 called for?

/D
Simple. I've been driving diesel trucks professional for 20 years. And our trucks run 10 hours a day and when parked they run at 1,500 rpm's from ether 10 min at a stop to the entire day. And we over fill by 1 qts. So when you do anywhere from 1 stop all day to 30 stops. The oil spending a lot of time not in the pan. So it's trying to keep as much oil in the sump for cooling and bearing. So it's carried over to the personal. And also easy math, that half qt isn't going to hurt it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Simple. I've been driving diesel trucks professional for 20 years. And our trucks run 10 hours a day and when parked they run at 1,500 rpm's from ether 10 min at a stop to the entire day. And we over fill by 1 qts. So when you do anywhere from 1 stop all day to 30 stops. The oil spending a lot of time not in the pan. So it's trying to keep as much oil in the sump for cooling and bearing. So it's carried over to the personal. And also easy math, that half qt isn't going to hurt it.
Guess I'll be the devil's advocate.

Extra oil in the sump doesn't do you any good. It's just sitting there sloshing around and not "doing" anything. There are a couple reasons to add additional oil, I've just not seen them mentioned here. If your pulling high g's then you need to work to keep your oil pump pickup covered. That means oil pan baffling and extra oil. Otherwise the oil will slosh away from your pump pickup and it will just suck air.

Additional oil will also extend oil change intervals (OCI). This is because the additional oil volume can tolerate use longer. More volume to buffer contamination and molecular shearing.

The argument the more oil is desirable because "truck runs a lot therefore oil spends a lot of time out of the pan" doesn't work. The recommended amount of oil is carefully designed to keep pan full enough to keep the pickup submerged under difficult conditions, and to provide market competitive OCI. One should have to add extra oil unless they're doing something outside of ordinary use.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,223 Posts
My wifes ford escape calls for 5.7 quarts, its annoying. It comes out to an even liter amount... but I don't live where they sell oil by the liter. Most of the time it gets 6 quarts because I hate having the extra 0.3 quart rolling around in the back and in 90k miles ive never had to add any to it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Curious about translation so...267,171 kms...3,827 hrs (221 idle)...11qts...burns/leaks 0 oil to date...

Mechanically flawless...

Reactions: jg08

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well I've officially crossed the 100k mark. No more warranty. No more FCA and still adding to the clock. Let's see how this plays out.
At least now you can strip off the emissions garbage when it goes bad and turn it into an old world diesel...still waiting for my DPF and EGR to go bad at 168,000...so much for the opinions of these engines being time bombs...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Toedrag , that member (( Vern )) at 500,000 miles had engine replacement at 375,000 like others have said ,
but he discovered something important when he got that failure at 375,000 , he made everybody benefit from his findings
read the first post in this thread : Ram ED cooling systems
keep an eye on that pink bottle on your truck , if Vern would have kept coolant in his bottle higher he may have gotten a lot more miles
from the initial engine , the teardown ( autopsy ) of the initial engine showed tired main bearings , but the low coolant was the main reason for his first engine dying .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to hear comments for people showing high miles and what work has been done to it.
Have a fleet of them and seems that the issue I have is they need valve work between 380,000 and 400,000 miles but otherwise they seem to be built pretty well but I'm pretty sure they not gonna be as tuff as a Cummins and go a million miles I'm thinking that average life for anyone that takes good care of them is prolly around 500,000

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm at 133k and now the clock ticks very slow. I ride my motorcycles a lot 9 months of the year and I don't commute in the truck. Also we sold our camper trailer and bought a Class C Motorhome, so it will take a long time for me to get to 200k. I may be driving the truck only about 5k miles a year now.

But my 2014 is just flawless and I love the truck.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
147 Posts
Guess I'll be the devil's advocate.

Extra oil in the sump doesn't do you any good. It's just sitting there sloshing around and not "doing" anything. There are a couple reasons to add additional oil, I've just not seen them mentioned here. If your pulling high g's then you need to work to keep your oil pump pickup covered. That means oil pan baffling and extra oil. Otherwise the oil will slosh away from your pump pickup and it will just suck air.

Additional oil will also extend oil change intervals (OCI). This is because the additional oil volume can tolerate use longer. More volume to buffer contamination and molecular shearing.

The argument the more oil is desirable because "truck runs a lot therefore oil spends a lot of time out of the pan" doesn't work. The recommended amount of oil is carefully designed to keep pan full enough to keep the pickup submerged under difficult conditions, and to provide market competitive OCI. One should have to add extra oil unless they're doing something outside of ordinary use.
Since others revived this thread... the amount of oil in the oil pan can have a dramatic effect on hp this was demonstrated with dyno testing on an episode of engine masters. so while the extra half quart in such an already large oil sump likely wont help anything, its far more likely its costing a little power. How much may be negligible but on a typical chevy 350 gas engine the differences were pretty surprising.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts