RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on this board from awhile receiving great information. I just had my Ram in for the check engine light after 2500 miles which turned out to lead to ordering an engine coolant bypass valve [code P2681]. The reason I bring this up, when I got the truck back while the part is ordered, I noticed that the oil pressure is reading almost double then when it went in 4 hours earlier getting up to 60-70 at start-up at higher rpms / 20 to 30 at idle. Understand, there was no oil change just inspection for the check engine. For the techs on this site, during the check, they checked resistance from PCM to valve and valve was below 50 ohms. Maybe during this check, they changed something within the onboard computers.

Reading the posts on this site on pressure I’ve seen posts that the dealer may have updated to the latest TSB while it was in for service, could this be the reason for the higher pressure? The pressure reading seems to respond quicker, moving up and down on pressure quickly. I noticed on the service paperwork “Customer requests multi-point inspection”, which I didn’t but maybe during this inspection they conducted the TSB.

To me the truck is running like before, with the check engine light still on. Beside the check engine the truck has been running great. Even with the light on, the truck continues to run normally.

One last question – is there somewhere that we can read the Tech Service Bulletins on-line for our trucks.

I still need to post a picture one of these days and update the information on my truck. Just been having to much fun with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had my truck in for Rapid Response 14-108. They flashed the PCM with updated software. Since then, I've noticed the same higher oil pressure - in the same ranges you mention. They do get a bit lower after the oil temp rises to normal operating temps. I'd love it if they provided a list of changes whenever they update the software - but I don't think the auto industry works that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It would be real nice if you didn't have to pry the information from the service writer on what each thing meant. A simple explanation for each update. I get more info from here than when talking to Chrysler or dealership. I noticed my higher oil pressure readings after a Flash was done. So I wasn't alarmed when I saw it. They just hand the paperwork over and stare at you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would update this posting with the latest on the replacement [new] coolant bypass valve. I took the Ram in today and the new valve was installed. After allowing the vehicle to reach operational temperature after repairs, code P2651 engine coolant bypass valve control circuit open was noted by the tech. The tech performed testing for this fault and ran an actuator test on the valve. During this test, code P2862 circuit low fault came on. Recommendation was to order another coolant bypass valve. The Ram continues to run fine and right now doesn’t have a check engine light on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just ran into this today. Flash was done yesterday. Was concerned with the spike as I am about to leave on a 500 km drive. Was this ever determined to be an issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EcoDNorth - oil pressure indication still seems to run high but since the Ram was just in for a engine light at first, and no work completed except for the Rapid Response 14-108, I consider it just a display pressure reading change and not something changing the oil pressure in the engine. I'm sure someone on this board will jump in if I'm wrong about controlling the pressure within the engine. Of course I'm still waiting for the replacement coolant bypass valve but the truck continues to operate normally. I'm waiting to see once I get a working coolant bypass valve if it changes any of the operational temperatures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seems the same way to me as well. Just finished putting about 1000 kms on the truck over the weekend and the analog gauge showed normal pressure while the digital readout read much higher than usual. Truck ran just fine the whole time. Stopped by the dealer on the way put of town and he showed me the list of issues corrected by this update and none had anything to do with the oil pressure readout. It didn't help that it was -34 celcius here this weekend. My normal pressure ranges were 100 kpa at idle in gear up to about 300 accelerating. With very cold oil my highest reading was 500 kpa this weekend and hovered around 200 kpa while cruising. Seems crazy high but then I don't have any basis to say so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks EcoDNorth - I was wondering how the truck performed on your trip. What was your speed when you had 200 kpa [~29 psi]. I'm thinking of starting a post to see what psi / kpa other owners are seeing. I have a couple of pictures taken by the co-pilot of the read outs at different speeds more to see if the temperature is going to change with the coolant bypass valve, but I did capture the pressure at the same time. Something had to change with the update even if it wasn't shown on the list that was provided by the dealer. Maybe a secondary cause from another change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wholeheartedly agree about the post on running pressures. Would add temperatures to that too. Being a first time diesel owner, lots of things on this truck are still a mystery to me. Never thought to care about these things on a gas engine.

At 90 - 100 kph (~55-60 mph) in -25 Celsius I was running 200 kpa (29 psi) with coolant temp at 95 C, transmission at 82 C and oil at 100 C. This conversation would be easier if you guys would switch to metric!:D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Anytime the dealer did a flash update on my 02, they placed decal on the ECM noting the flash update number.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me about the metric issue, have the same issue day-to-day. Like you I'm a new diesel owner and find that I pay more attention to this truck then I have with other vehicles, but at the same time really having fun learning and driving this truck. Your pressure at the given speeds are about the same as I'm see which is good to know. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your truck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts