RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a high-pitched whine when the truck is under a load at around 3000 RPMs. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from and it sounds like some kind of air leak but I’ve been unable to pinpoint it or catch it on video. In the mornings I’m also smelling that sweet exhaust smell when the truck is warming up way more than I have in the previous years which leads me to think I may have an exhaust leak. I have a 2016 with about 120,000 miles on it. Anyone have any Ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been having a high-pitched whine when the truck is under a load at around 3000 RPMs. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from and it sounds like some kind of air leak but I’ve been unable to pinpoint it or catch it on video. In the mornings I’m also smelling that sweet exhaust smell when the truck is warming up Waymore than I have in the previous years which leads me to think I may have an exhaust leak. I have a 2016 with about 120,000 miles on it. Anyone have any Ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have noticed my fuel economy has really started to slack lately as well but no change in driving habits, I know the winter blend fuel can have impact but in previous years it’s never been this bad. It seems like it’s all started at the same time

·
Registered
279 Posts
When I hear the description of a high pitched whine. I immediately think turbo charger outlet piping or gasket leaks on either the charge air side or the exhaust side. In this case with the exhaust smell I would suspect exhaust side. The AEM might have something to do with it because that recall mod might have required removing - replacing exhaust components and the leak may have been caused by faulty installation of those parts.

Trouble shooting via the internet is hard to do. I'm just giving you one possible place to start looking. Good luck & let us know what you find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I hear the description of a high pitched whine. I immediately think turbo charger outlet piping or gasket leaks on either the charge air side or the exhaust side. In this case with the exhaust smell I would suspect exhaust side. The AEM might have something to do with it because that recall mod might have required removing - replacing exhaust components and the leak may have been caused by faulty installation of those parts.

Trouble shooting via the internet is hard to do. I'm just giving you one possible place to start looking. Good luck & let us know what you find.
Yeah I agree, the Internet is not the most ideal place to troubleshoot but I was hoping for some ideas so thank you and I’m gonna go take a look.

·
Registered
366 Posts

I would agree that it could very well be exhaust/turbo related, but there were no physical modifications necessary as a result of the AEM...it was software only.

Perhaps you could have someone apply the brakes (hard!) and throttle up. You stand outside the truck (NOT IN FRONT OF IT) and see if you can hear the noise. There have been indications of that exhaust flange gasket going bad (noted above). If it seems to come from the engine bay try to note which side. The turbo is on the rear of the motor and therefore is somewhat close to that flange. You'd probably have to lay on the ground on the passenger side to be able to tell if its the flange leaking.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
winter fuel this time of year has already started to lower the efficiency of MPG,
( if you are in Florida ,,,,, NO on the winter fuel theory...).
---------------
possibility of sound and smell , turbo up pipe , can develop a crack ,
leak and smell goes up the firewall right where the cabin air is drawn from .
use a 4 feet long piece of old garden hose , stick one end near your ear and send the other end
down behind engine , if your truck is up on a lift , from passenger side front wheel housing
you should see the area you want to probe , if the exhaust leak gets higher in the hose while
engine is running and hose moves around the turbo up pipe you will have confirmation .
-------------------
images , one is of cracked turbo up pipe , other complete turbo up pipe..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good point kazimodo!

Another area to be sure to check is the top of the intake manifold for burnt spots or holes. With all of the ERG issues right now, a common issue is holes being burned in the top of the intake manifold above the EGR diffusor pipe in the manifold. A hole there could give a turbo whine sound and have an exhaust smell as well. Be sure to check there, this is what is causing trucks to catch fire and burn to the ground. There is a recall for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been having a high-pitched whine when the truck is under a load at around 3000 RPMs. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from and it sounds like some kind of air leak but I’ve been unable to pinpoint it or catch it on video. In the mornings I’m also smelling that sweet exhaust smell when the truck is warming up way more than I have in the previous years which leads me to think I may have an exhaust leak. I have a 2016 with about 120,000 miles on it. Anyone have any Ideas on where to start?
Hi I had the same problem on my 2016 Ed the 58,000 miles on it. When accelerating there is a high pitch noise from underneath almost like a scream. I have traced it to a Broken stud on exhaust next to a flex pipe and DEF fluid injector. Apparently not covered by the extended warranty. Told by the dealer it is the rust problem even though there is no rust at all on the bolts and only the nuts are rusted. They asked $450 to fix the problem apparently two and a half hour job. That's a big load of BS as it took me 20 minutes to drill the broken stud out and replace it with a new stainless steel Bolt. While doing that another bolt fell off. It's not a rust problem but the fracture of the bolt because of the poor design and very small diameter bolt that is not strong enough on a big exhaust flange. Now it can be easily fixed but remember because it's a stainless steel we're talking about it will not be drilled out with the regular drill bit at high speed. I have learned that the hard way as you need Cobalt bit and you need to drill very slowly applying high pressure for the bit to actually bite the stainless steel material which hardens as the temperature rises so you need to cool that drill bit often and spray it with WD-40 or other lubricant to cool it down. I'm pretty sure that those studs can Fracture in different locations on the exhaust causing similar leaks and problems. At least the location by the def injector is easily accessible with fair amount of room to do the work. I have also over drilled the flanges from 5/16 of an inch to 3/8 and installed bigger diameter bolts

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
My JGC has developed the same noise & smell after stealer "fixed" the tone ring & sensor. I'm trying to contact them to determine if they have to remove the exhaust to do that work. Additionally, I have check engine light & got message check DEF system, see your dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Went on 500 mi trip today and got P20EE fault... cleared it and it came back 30min. later.
Will have to check the DEF injector wiring tomorrow. It has the heat resistant jacket but you never know. Could SCR go belly up? No problem driving, runs like a charm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A co-worker of mine had a very similar sounding problem with his truck I think it was a broken stud on the turbo

·
Registered
93 Posts
An update to my story, P20EE came back again. I went to replace the last stud on the leaking exhaust flange by the CRS and the gasket. Turned out online dealer sent me a wrong gasket. But as I undid the bolts I heard a rattle inside the pipe. What I found inside was pieces and 2 complete ceramic screen squares from DPF I assume as its above.
Looks like they were glued onto something. Check my pics. That might also be the reason for huge amount of smoke behind a truck few weeks ago. It lasted only a few minutes but I was sure I'd have blown the engine. At one point I also had p2002 code and cleaned the map sensor as that did help in the past. That code did not come back yet since then. I am going back to the dealer on Monday to thoroughly investigate the issue and I hope they will replace DPF under the extended warranty that expires in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
110,00.00 2014

Exhaust Flange Bolts will be a good place to look.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts