RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
Long time reader and first-time poster. You all have provided great advice but I now have a unique situation I'm hoping and know your feedback will be valuable.

Thanks for taking the time to hear the sound my 2014 Ecodiesel has started making. I have about 98,000 miles and this just started a week ago. The first time I heard the whine it was short and I couldn't get the sound to repeat. I was driving at highways speed and went to pass a car and accelerated from ~70mph to ~80mph. Now a week later I hear it every time I get on a highway and will get the whine when I hit the gas peddle hard going any speed. I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer and will be sure to follow up with what they find. Any ideas?

With the car in park and reviving the engining, I can't get the whine to happen.

I hear the sound more in the cab then I do outside. It is like I hear it coming from underneath the dashboard on the passenger side.

AC on or off makes no difference.

I have performed all the recalls and just recently in June, I did the following: VA7 & VB1/NHTSA 19VA-757.

The dealer ended up replacing EGR cooler and Intake Manifold per VB1. Due to a seized bolt at the flange where EGR intake tube connects to EGR Cooler, they had to remove the turbo downpipe from turbo to DPF to gain access and remove the seized bolt. They reinstalled the down tube with new seals and clamp. Topped off coolant to specs and cleared DTC's.

I've read some similar posts and have checked the flange DPF/SCR Flange, though my bolts are in need of replacing, the connection seems tight. I did notice though my exhaust flex pipe did seem to have something going on with it. I'm not sure if this was from my recent service. I showed this picture to the dealer and he told me it's unlikely the cause of the sound and that the exhaust system is not covered under the extended warranty. When I look up the part, it seems the exhausted flex pipe is part of and connected with the DPF which should be under warranty. Any advice here? I have an appointment scheduled for next week.

Thank you!
IMG_5781.jpg

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Long time reader and first-time poster. You all have provided great advice but I now have a unique situation I'm hoping and know your feedback will be valuable.

Thanks for taking the time to hear the sound my 2014 Ecodiesel has started making. I have about 98,000 miles and this just started a week ago. The first time I heard the whine it was short and I couldn't get the sound to repeat. I was driving at highways speed and went to pass a car and accelerated from ~70mph to ~80mph. Now a week later I hear it every time I get on a highway and will get the whine when I hit the gas peddle hard going any speed. I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer and will be sure to follow up with what they find. Any ideas?

With the car in park and reviving the engining, I can't get the whine to happen.

I hear the sound more in the cab then I do outside. It is like I hear it coming from underneath the dashboard on the passenger side.

AC on or off makes no difference.

I have performed all the recalls and just recently in June, I did the following: VA7 & VB1/NHTSA 19VA-757.

The dealer ended up replacing EGR cooler and Intake Manifold per VB1. Due to a seized bolt at the flange where EGR intake tube connects to EGR Cooler, they had to remove the turbo downpipe from turbo to DPF to gain access and remove the seized bolt. They reinstalled the down tube with new seals and clamp. Topped off coolant to specs and cleared DTC's.

I've read some similar posts and have checked the flange DPF/SCR Flange, though my bolts are in need of replacing, the connection seems tight. I did notice though my exhaust flex pipe did seem to have something going on with it. I'm not sure if this was from my recent service. I showed this picture to the dealer and he told me it's unlikely the cause of the sound and that the exhaust system is not covered under the extended warranty. When I look up the part, it seems the exhausted flex pipe is part of and connected with the DPF which should be under warranty. Any advice here? I have an appointment scheduled for next week.

Thank you! View attachment 87084
View attachment 87084 View attachment 87085 View attachment 87086

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same exact noise from mine just got it back from the dealership after doing the egr cooler recall, possible boost leak since it’s under load when making the noise idk but hoping someone has a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the EGR Recalled performed a month or so before the whine started. Tech said the DPF was clogged which caused the blow out at the flange connection. Replaced catalytic converter also.

Cause: DPF to SCR flange bolts broken. DPF Plugged.
Correction: Replaced SOP, DPF and installed new gaskets and clamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts