RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I noticed a high pitched tone from my ecodiesel when I was accelerating or going up hills at highway speeds. It came in around 2000 rpm. I did some searches on this. Lots of people are hearing a sound like a gas engine pinging. My sound is nothing like this. It's a constant high pitched tone that goes up in frequency as the engine speed increases. I took it to the dealer. They heard the tone, but couldn't find the problem. I was told to keep driving it until I get a fault code. Has anybody else had a similar problem? To me, it seems like it could be the turbo. It spins fast enough to generate this tone, and it works harder when you accelerate. Should I suspect anything else?

·
Super Moderator
4,326 Posts
I wonder if something on the pressure side of the turbo piping is leaking. As you accelerate and build boost you hear the noise. Try holding the rpms/speed steady as you go over a hill, the boost pressure should go up so will the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if something on the pressure side of the turbo piping is leaking. As you accelerate and build boost you hear the noise. Try holding the rpms/speed steady as you go over a hill, the boost pressure should go up so will the noise.
Today I went up a long hill on the freeway. I kept engine speed around 2300rpm and heard the noise for about 30 seconds, then it just stopped. I couldn't bring it back. But later in the day, it started again. This high pitched tone seems pretty random.

I thought that it was either in the turbo, or an air leak after the turbo. I'm bringing it back it on Thursday. I'll keep trying to find ways to create the sound. Hopefully it will help them.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Locomotives make that sound when pulling up hill for a while at full throttle Notch #8 ,
for the last 35 years I was always told it is the sound of the turbo , gotta be the turbo on our trucks too
constant iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii until you lay off the effort .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Locomotives make that sound when pulling up hill for a while at full throttle Notch #8 ,
for the last 35 years I was always told it is the sound of the turbo , gotta be the turbo on our trucks too
constant iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii until you lay off the effort .
You just described the sound perfectly. It's a high pitched tone until I lay off the accelerator. I can't tell if it's a bearing screaming or an air leak.

·
Registered
142 Posts
About a week ago, I noticed a high pitched tone from my ecodiesel when I was accelerating or going up hills at highway speeds. It came in around 2000 rpm. I did some searches on this. Lots of people are hearing a sound like a gas engine pinging. My sound is nothing like this. It's a constant high pitched tone that goes up in frequency as the engine speed increases. I took it to the dealer. They heard the tone, but couldn't find the problem. I was told to keep driving it until I get a fault code. Has anybody else had a similar problem? To me, it seems like it could be the turbo. It spins fast enough to generate this tone, and it works harder when you accelerate. Should I suspect anything else?
I've read through the other posts... All great advice.

My 2015 ecodiesel does the way awesome big truck turbo tone. It's higher pitch at certain roads and power. I hope that helps...

I'd you'd upload a sound file.

g

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My daughter tried getting a sound clip. But it didn't turn out well with all the wind noise. My phone used to have an app for that, but I can't find it now. I'll try to record one when I can find another app.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 Ecodiesel...I had a loud high pitch vibration noise under acceleration around 2000rpm. I had someone hold the rpm steady until it made the noise while I listened under the hood. It turned out to be something vibrating around the brake fluid reservoir right by the firewall on the driver's side. Sold the truck before I could come up with a solution but it drove me nuts hearing it everyday! Hope it's something simple like this for yours!

·
Registered
159 Posts
For what it is worth and for whatever reason, I can usually hear my turbo much more distinctly during acceleration when the DPF is regenerating. It might be your case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
that
Hi,

I purchased a new Ecodiesel last weekend. I noticed the same noise at highway speeds. It isnt a vibration more of a annoying hum.

Please let me know if you are able to find out what this is?

The dealership already stated nothing is wrong with it and it is normal for the deisel

Thanks,

·
Registered
152 Posts
that
Hi,

I purchased a new Ecodiesel last weekend. I noticed the same noise at highway speeds. It isnt a vibration more of a annoying hum.

Please let me know if you are able to find out what this is?

The dealership already stated nothing is wrong with it and it is normal for the deisel

Thanks,
New to you? or brand new? What year? Miles? If you have a 2020, the truck is so new not going to be much for experience on this board.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a turbo replacement in June, finally got it back in September. Initially had a faint whistle then a new sound like a whistling tea kettle at highway speed around 2500 rpm under load. It’s been parked at dealership for 2 weeks, buyback in progress and 2020 Laramie 2500 gasser coming in early January. It also had a new head over the summer and 4 visits for fuel leaks. I had told the tech about it, he said is was normal and he wasn’t going to lift the cab for a third time.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
923 Posts
I recall hearing the turbo whine, we were coming down the Fraser River in BC. I would hear it, then it would stop. Then I could hear it again, then it would stop.

I was getting concerned until I realized the sound of the turbo was bouncing off of tall concrete barriers along the hwy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a turbo replacement in June, finally got it back in September. Initially had a faint whistle then a new sound like a whistling tea kettle at highway speed around 2500 rpm under load. It’s been parked at dealership for 2 weeks, buyback in progress and 2020 Laramie 2500 gasser coming in early January. It also had a new head over the summer and 4 visits for fuel leaks. I had told the tech about it, he said is was normal and he wasn’t going to lift the cab for a third time.
Well if you've already got a buyback and a new truck coming this is kinda moot. And I hope it's for more significant issues than just this whistle, maybe an EGR cooler leak? Not that I want you to have major troubles with your truck, but this whistle is pretty insignificant and doesn't warrant a buyback.

While you're the first to call it a tea kettle, that is a perfect description of it. There's no need to pull the cab, just crawl under the passenger side of the truck and look at the flange between the DPF and SCR. If any one of the 3 bolts are broken, or if the flange looks like it has separated, that is most likely the source of your whistle.

I was unlucky as the tech diagnosed mine as a cracked turbo. They pulled the cab and replaced the turbo, then found the separated flange/broken bolt as they were reassembling everything. All covered under warranty so it didn't hurt my pocketbook, but it sucks that they basically pulled the cab for nothing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First time cab removed was timing cover leak and turbo, second time was for a head. Now I have the whistling and have had multiple fuel leaks. All told 90+ days in shop since June. I’ve had about $25k worth of warranty repairs in past 2 years, no EGR issues but everything else.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our experiences are pretty similar, but yours takes the cake.

I started with the whistle just over a year ago, misdiagnosed as turbo so they pulled the cab and replaced the turbo only to find the flange which could have been fixed in a day without touching the cab. It was in the shop for just over a week.

I had other symptoms which took me back to the dealer in April. 2 more weeks in the shop and they replaced the dpf and scr but it didn't fix the problem. then in june I convinced them there was still something wrong and in July/August they pulled the cab again to replace the heads. it took 7 weeks and still didn't fix the problem.

It's been back to the shop a few times since still troubleshooting the problem, 1 or 2 days at a time, but then the dealer and FCA gave up. I'm still troubleshooting it myself and narrowing it down, but I'm out of warranty so I have to foot the bill for any repairs now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts