RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
About a week ago, I noticed a high pitched tone from my ecodiesel when I was accelerating or going up hills at highway speeds. It came in around 2000 rpm. I did some searches on this. Lots of people are hearing a sound like a gas engine pinging. My sound is nothing like this. It's a constant high pitched tone that goes up in frequency as the engine speed increases. I took it to the dealer. They heard the tone, but couldn't find the problem. I was told to keep driving it until I get a fault code. Has anybody else had a similar problem? To me, it seems like it could be the turbo. It spins fast enough to generate this tone, and it works harder when you accelerate. Should I suspect anything else?
I had the same problem during acceleration and higher RPMs. Found snapped bolt/pin on a exhaust flange between DPF and cat. converter. During drilling out process the other one broke so I replaced all 3. Check all exhaust connections and sensor seats with soapy water when engine running and watch for bubbles.
Btw I did all the work for nothing as dealer replaced Dpf and all involved parts under warranty month later because of check engine light and code P020EE. Story of my life...

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
939 Posts
About a week ago, I noticed a high pitched tone from my ecodiesel when I was accelerating or going up hills at highway speeds. It came in around 2000 rpm. I did some searches on this. Lots of people are hearing a sound like a gas engine pinging. My sound is nothing like this. It's a constant high pitched tone that goes up in frequency as the engine speed increases. I took it to the dealer. They heard the tone, but couldn't find the problem. I was told to keep driving it until I get a fault code. Has anybody else had a similar problem? To me, it seems like it could be the turbo. It spins fast enough to generate this tone, and it works harder when you accelerate. Should I suspect anything else?
I once (and still do) would hear this "whine" high pitched turbo noise. It would come and go and was very puzzling. We were going south down the Fraser River canyon north of Hope, BC. And I was getting concerned, until I realized it was the turbo sound bouncing back from those extra tall concrete dividers.

I was relieved that there was nothing wrong, but I can see how the noise would bother anyone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Trust me , that is not the sound you're hearing. This is like a screeming woman being chased by a murderer in a horror movie. It's much louder than a stereo system. Turbo whine is a gentle whisper in comparison :sleep: . Thanks for making a good point of sounds amplified by concrete barriers and rock cuts while driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My engine is having this loud squealing noise came out of nowhere out of sudden. It started when I accelerate to 2000 rpm and above, but after a few months it keeps on as long as I pressed the pedal. There's no engine check light, power lost, engine vibrating or other sort of abnormal sign. Went to workshop changed the fan belt, pulley, tensioner, alternator pulley, full set of timing kit and the noise still persist. Dismantled and check the turbocharger everything seems to be ok, just normal wear and tear (just replaced a brand new turbocharger 3 years back). What problem could be? It's driving me crazy 😩

the actual noise, posted on youtube

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,427 Posts
My engine is having this loud squealing noise came out of nowhere out of sudden. It started when I accelerate to 2000 rpm and above, but after a few months it keeps on as long as I pressed the pedal. There's no engine check light, power lost, engine vibrating or other sort of abnormal sign. Went to workshop changed the fan belt, pulley, tensioner, alternator pulley, full set of timing kit and the noise still persist. Dismantled and check the turbocharger everything seems to be ok, just normal wear and tear (just replaced a brand new turbocharger 3 years back). What problem could be? It's driving me crazy 😩

the actual noise, posted on youtube
What vehicle/engine is that in the video? That doesn't look like an EcoDiesel.
Did you run the engine without the fan belt to rule out any of the accessories?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ops, just realized I posted in the wrong forum, sorry. It's chevrolet captiva VCDi. Thanks for your advise, will try to run the engine without the fan belt.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Oh man , I never would have tought of running engine without the belt to diagnose ...
Smart Crash68 ........(y)

·
Super Moderator
4,427 Posts
Oh man , I never would have tought of running engine without the belt to diagnose ...
Smart Crash68 ........(y)
That's an old school mechanic troubleshooting step, it was a little more prevalent when vehicles had multiple belts.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I guess I had it good , and never needed to use that idea, but I know it now ,
and hope to pass it around to other people in need ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update. Run the engine without the fan belt, the noise still persist. Reposted this in the Chevrolet forum, thanks mate! But if anyone have any thought to share I'll be grateful.

·
Super Moderator
4,427 Posts
Just an update. Run the engine without the fan belt, the noise still persist. Reposted this in the Chevrolet forum, thanks mate! But if anyone have any thought to share I'll be grateful.
Not familiar with the engine layout but if taking the fan belt off stopped all the accessories like: power steering, alternator, etc. Not sure if that engine would have a harmonic balancer on the crank, I've heard of those making noise.
Possibly something in your high pressure injection pump?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would still look at the exhaust connections. I had that noise/whine on my Ecodiesel, was a broken bolt. Never would have thought it would have made that sound.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spray soapy water on exhaust pipe connections and watch for bubbles.... easy way to rule out one possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the input. Got my car back yesterday from the mechanic, problem solved at last after I'm almost giving up. The last try was I get the mechanic to check on the EGR and exhaust system for any fault, leak or block, but all seems to be in normal. So I asked him to put back all the parts and just carry on with the noise as most feedback were the noise sounds like air whining and not mechanical part failure. Anyhow I also replaced the PCV valve gasket, EGR gaskets, turbo gasket and exhaust manifold gasket as these parts were damaged when dismantling. To our surprise the noise has gone after we resembled back the parts. Should I feel lucky? 😅

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
939 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the input. Got my car back yesterday from the mechanic, problem solved at last after I'm almost giving up. The last try was I get the mechanic to check on the EGR and exhaust system for any fault, leak or block, but all seems to be in normal. So I asked him to put back all the parts and just carry on with the noise as most feedback were the noise sounds like air whining and not mechanical part failure. Anyhow I also replaced the PCV valve gasket, EGR gaskets, turbo gasket and exhaust manifold gasket as these parts were damaged when dismantling. To our surprise the noise has gone after we resembled back the parts. Should I feel lucky? 😅
I'm betting on the exhaust gasket.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts