RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Bet after the emissions lawsuit engine failures and now this they severely regret producing this vehicle!
I find it interesting that NHTSA is more worried about the HPFP causing an unexpected loss of drive power, increasing the risk of a crash than the engine itself! I would put money on it that there are way more engine failures than CP4 pump failures!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Even through this is definitely an upgrade just the thought of any dealer putting their hands on my "Perfect till now" Engine gives me the creeps. :(
I've got an awesome designated EcoDiesel dealer tech, so I'm not worried about it. With that said, I understand your concerns. Many dealers don't have competent techs.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
@biodiesel:
Where is this dealership because none of those around me have a clue when it comes to EcoD's?
Farmington, New Mexico. Although, there's a designated EcoDiesel tech at one of the dealers in Albuquerque, too. Both techs know these engines like the back of their hand. When I go into the shop, they usually have 2 - 3 EcoDiesel vehicles on the lift at any given time. Interestingly, both techs like working on the engine and have mostly good things to say about the platform.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I believe it will be going on a full year before mine gets done. Do not be surprised if something similar goes on for all the Ecodiesels.
Part availability for the HPFP recall is slated for the first quarter of 2023 according to a few dealers.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It helps with poor lubricity fuel and should also make this version of the CP4.2 best in class.
@GDE, a person in the facebook group posted the following. Does this sound correct to you?

"I did some research on what change was made in 2020. The only change for the internal design of the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP was a symmetrical cam profile. The CP4.2 up to Dec 2019 had an asymmetrical cam profile, meaning the lift slope was different than the drop slope. I’m uncertain how they figure this will make any difference. The electric low pressure lift pump at the fuel tank is the one major preventative components. Air of any amount getting into the CP4 pumps was identified as a major cause of failure along with not enough fuel lubricant in ULSD. Priming the fuel system multiple times after a fuel filter change is very important to prevent air getting into the CP4."

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
As for recalls, I think we just need to remember Fight Club:
"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
Like GDE said, the recall doesn't make sense or cents. This will be more costly than the EGR recall. Not only are the pumps expensive, but the installation will be too. Like I mentioned, the engine failure rate is just as dangerous, and its failure rate is higher than the CP4. Is FCA going to recall engines, too?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
@GDE So that means your tunes will need recalibrated if I understand what you're saying...?
He's saying if FCA uses an updated CP4.2 pump, then tuning can remain the same. If FCA goes with a different pump, like the CP3, then it will require tuning, similar to the 2019 - 2020 Cummins recall. The Cummins will get a new pump and new tuning. Most likely, the EcoDiesel will get an updated CP4 pump which won't require any tuning updates.

And agree with your logic - fix the bearing problem and the rare HPFP issue becomes a non-issue in my mind.
I'll take a new engine with the new HPFP! ;) That would be a dream come true!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
We can only hope hehe
Can you imagine? Life would be great. I would even buy a new DPF and SCR to give the truck a new start.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I had a new engine installed in 2021.
Just curious if anyone has a guess on replacement cost if it wasn't covered and how long the repair takes.
What? You're just now telling us?

I'll guess $16,000 for the engine and install.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is like the 15th factory recall on my 2015 Ram 1500.
This is just one more reason for loving the EcoDiesel. Free money and free parts! The EcoDiesel is the truck that keeps on giving!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm in there somewhere buddy
Since I already harassed you, I went ahead and updated your status to 172,000 miles! Keep up the good work. I can't wait to change your status to 200,000 miles! (y)

Reactions: T Sim

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
GDE can't manipulate or otherwise even touch the old tune due to EPA.
I may be wrong on some of this but that is my understanding.
That is correct. GDE cannot legally support the old tune. Nothing wrong with the GDE EPA Compliant Tune, though!

Reactions: DATA

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Since the HPFP in the 2020+ EcoDiesel isn't being recalled, I'm going to guess that we will get the same CP4 pump that is coming factory with the 2020+ engines.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Just spoke to the service manager. She said it looks like it's just an updated version of the CP4.x. They are starting with the newer trucks first (2018+). Anticipated replacements to start Q1 2023.
What would be the logic with stating with the newer vehicles? I would think it would be best to start with the older more susceptible vehicles. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Im not sure but my service truck is a 2019 with the 6.7 and it sure would suck if the cp4 went out. Maybe there trying to prevent early failures and let the dealers blaim major failures on contaminated fuel.
My dad said something similar. He said that as time goes on, more of the older trucks (especially the 2014s and 2015s) will be going out of service due to major repairs. I wouldn't think there would be enough vehicles going out of service to really benefit FCA, but I'm sure corporate runs tight numbers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts