RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,523 Posts
Interesting read for the CP4.2, they're saying that introduction of air in the fuel stream that makes it to the HPFP is a major driver for failures, more specifically the roller tappet literally rotating inside the plunger bore. CP4.2 High-pressure Fuel Pump
Yes, anything to alter the lubricity of what's flowing around the roller within the HPFP can start it to fail. VW took the idea that most failures were caused by contaminated fuel.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Interesting read for the CP4.2, they're saying that introduction of air in the fuel stream that makes it to the HPFP is a major driver for failures, more specifically the roller tappet literally rotating inside the plunger bore. CP4.2 High-pressure Fuel Pump
The CP3 is also susceptible to failure with air in the system. The fuel is the only lubrication source for the pump. The critical parts only have 5-10 microns of clearance and air can lead to scoring bore surfaces. This recall makes no sense or cents for that matter. We heard the failure rate might be up to 1% with only 1200 customer complaints and there is a full recall. There might be a 10-15% failure rate on main bearing system, yet no recall?
For the North America market, 3.0l ecodiesel is the only diesel engine with Bosch wear package on critical dimensions. This is a hardened coating that is a few microns thick. It helps with poor lubricity fuel and should also make this version of the CP4.2 best in class. Maybe the new pump will have thicker coatings, but it will have to function identical to original design or they will need new engine calibration to go with it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,503 Posts
FYI that same "recall" for a CP3 conversion for my CP4 has been going on for now 8 months. NO PARTS.

Mine is a 2019 Ram Cummins. They are supplying 2020 parts but none for the 2019's yet. I believe it will be going on a full year before mine gets done. Do not be surprised if something similar goes on for all the Ecodiesels.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I believe it will be going on a full year before mine gets done. Do not be surprised if something similar goes on for all the Ecodiesels.
Part availability for the HPFP recall is slated for the first quarter of 2023 according to a few dealers.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
It helps with poor lubricity fuel and should also make this version of the CP4.2 best in class.
@GDE, a person in the facebook group posted the following. Does this sound correct to you?

"I did some research on what change was made in 2020. The only change for the internal design of the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP was a symmetrical cam profile. The CP4.2 up to Dec 2019 had an asymmetrical cam profile, meaning the lift slope was different than the drop slope. I’m uncertain how they figure this will make any difference. The electric low pressure lift pump at the fuel tank is the one major preventative components. Air of any amount getting into the CP4 pumps was identified as a major cause of failure along with not enough fuel lubricant in ULSD. Priming the fuel system multiple times after a fuel filter change is very important to prevent air getting into the CP4."

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Seems as though Cummins more industrial applications are all low HP. The 2.8 duramax is 26% less displacement, I’d bet they could easily get it to numbers that would work. Also feeding 2 less cylinders I’d think economy would be better.
They are low horsepower to increase sturdiness. Just add fuel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For the failures I was more intrigued by the fact the whole thing that goes up and down can rotate which puts the roller 90 degrees to the cam, that's what they're saying throws all the metal bits throughout the fuel system. Wonder if they had some kind of "key" to prevent rotation if failures would be less or not.

As for recalls, I think we just need to remember Fight Club:
"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
As for recalls, I think we just need to remember Fight Club:
"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
Like GDE said, the recall doesn't make sense or cents. This will be more costly than the EGR recall. Not only are the pumps expensive, but the installation will be too. Like I mentioned, the engine failure rate is just as dangerous, and its failure rate is higher than the CP4. Is FCA going to recall engines, too?

·
Registered
549 Posts
The CP3 is also susceptible to failure with air in the system. The fuel is the only lubrication source for the pump. The critical parts only have 5-10 microns of clearance and air can lead to scoring bore surfaces. This recall makes no sense or cents for that matter. We heard the failure rate might be up to 1% with only 1200 customer complaints and there is a full recall. There might be a 10-15% failure rate on main bearing system, yet no recall?
For the North America market, 3.0l ecodiesel is the only diesel engine with Bosch wear package on critical dimensions. This is a hardened coating that is a few microns thick. It helps with poor lubricity fuel and should also make this version of the CP4.2 best in class. Maybe the new pump will have thicker coatings, but it will have to function identical to original design or they will need new engine calibration to go with it.
@GDE So that means your tunes will need recalibrated if I understand what you're saying...?

And agree with your logic - fix the bearing problem and the rare HPFP issue becomes a non-issue in my mind.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
@GDE So that means your tunes will need recalibrated if I understand what you're saying...?
He's saying if FCA uses an updated CP4.2 pump, then tuning can remain the same. If FCA goes with a different pump, like the CP3, then it will require tuning, similar to the 2019 - 2020 Cummins recall. The Cummins will get a new pump and new tuning. Most likely, the EcoDiesel will get an updated CP4 pump which won't require any tuning updates.

And agree with your logic - fix the bearing problem and the rare HPFP issue becomes a non-issue in my mind.
I'll take a new engine with the new HPFP! ;) That would be a dream come true!

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,744 Posts
Got a good chuckle from this article:
The part where they state: "If it is a problem, various issues can result. These include a Malfunction light, “service electronic throttle control” light, noises coming from the fuel pump, and/or leaking gas." If these vehicles are leaking gas I would say there's a problem 😲

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,349 Posts
Like GDE said, the recall doesn't make sense or cents. This will be more costly than the EGR recall. Not only are the pumps expensive, but the installation will be too. Like I mentioned, the engine failure rate is just as dangerous, and its failure rate is higher than the CP4. Is FCA going to recall engines, too?
We can only hope hehe

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
We can only hope hehe
Can you imagine? Life would be great. I would even buy a new DPF and SCR to give the truck a new start.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts