RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Introducing air would cause cavitation that would cause pitting 🤷🏻‍♂️
yea kind of discouraging, knowing (most owners anyway) that you should avoid low fuel situations is one thing, but the stories of the pick-up in the tank coming loose of otherwise malfunctioning or even a fuel line issue like a crack or split and pulling air in seems pretty fragile IMO 😥

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I had a new engine installed in 2021.
Just curious if anyone has a guess on replacement cost if it wasn't covered and how long the repair takes.
What? You're just now telling us?

I'll guess $16,000 for the engine and install.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Engine was replaced under tje 2 year unlimited miles mopar parts warranty. I bought truck used from carmax. 6 months later engine started knocking. Dealer replaced engine. In 2021. I believe build date of engine is late 2020. I got recall notice from dealer while getting oil change today. However from what I read the hpfp was changed to an updated part in 2019. I am Tuned so I may reflash it when parts available but I am thinking dealer will say I already have new pump design. Truck is a 2016. 143k miles on truck. 39k on new engine

·
Registered
188 Posts
Engine was replaced under tje 2 year unlimited miles mopar parts warranty. I bought truck used from carmax. 6 months later engine started knocking. Dealer replaced engine. In 2021. I believe build date of engine is late 2020. I got recall notice from dealer while getting oil change today. However from what I read the hpfp was changed to an updated part in 2019. I am Tuned so I may reflash it when parts available but I am thinking dealer will say I already have new pump design. Truck is a 2016. 143k miles on truck. 39k on new engine

I was asking what new pump would cost installed. I see online it's from 300 to 1400 depends on the company. Hopefully I get a new one but being I have a newer engine I believe it came with updated egr and fuel pump. I will post later on when I know for guys that have had engines replaced.
For new engine install from dealer I believe at the time was 14k. Once installed dealer reported to carfax that a maintenance inspection completed. Not engine replaced

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,573 Posts
Got a good chuckle from this article:
The part where they state: "If it is a problem, various issues can result. These include a Malfunction light, “service electronic throttle control” light, noises coming from the fuel pump, and/or leaking gas." If these vehicles are leaking gas I would say there's a problem 😲
I also like all the refences to "gas" in a diesel article. I read several of the articles of the "Ram's got problems" attached to the bottom of the one you highlighted. No mention of bottom end failures in any of those.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
791 Posts
Got a good chuckle from this article:
The part where they state: "If it is a problem, various issues can result. These include a Malfunction light, “service electronic throttle control” light, noises coming from the fuel pump, and/or leaking gas." If these vehicles are leaking gas I would say there's a problem 😲
yeah that's good for a laugh. In my experience motorbiscuit is a poor source of information and they get more wrong than they get right. For me reading a motorbiscuit article often ends with a facepalm or shaking my head

Reactions: Crash68

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,789 Posts
yeah that's good for a laugh. In my experience motorbiscuit is a poor source of information and they get more wrong than they get right. For me reading a motorbiscuit article often ends with a facepalm or shaking my head
As they say about the media if you don't watch the news your uninformed, if you do watch the news your misinformed.
I have friends in various parts of the auto industry and can usually get a round about fact check when it comes to unreleased vehicles. Most of the time the information is wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have seen this. Just figured I would share as I did a quick search and didn't see anything posted.

Reached out to my dealer and they didn't have any info yet.
:-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is like the 15th factory recall on my 2015 Ram 1500. Still waiting for the local dealer to notify me that parts are available for two previous recalls. It sure would be nice if the factory would actually make parts available when they have a recall!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is like the 15th factory recall on my 2015 Ram 1500.
This is just one more reason for loving the EcoDiesel. Free money and free parts! The EcoDiesel is the truck that keeps on giving!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Even through this is definitely an upgrade just the thought of any dealer putting their hands on my "Perfect till now" Engine gives me the creeps. :(
I agree with you, 62K with zero engine problems. I am afraid once I let the dealer work on my truck it will never be the same. I will keep my original pump and KEEP riding.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree with you, 62K with zero engine problems. I am afraid once I let the dealer work on my truck it will never be the same. I will keep my original pump and KEEP riding.
I just turned 60k on a 2015. I do try to keep my truck far away from the dealer service department. I did get the AEM and refund, but let them put the program on a spare ECU. Have not gotten the new EGR yet. Will let them do that and the pump at the same time. Will wait for the local service department to do a few and get some experience before letting them work on mine.

As Biodiesel said, the EcoDiesel is the gift that keeps on giving. Seems all the major problems (except spun bearings) are getting addressed with recalls. I have not had to pay out of pocket for any repairs. The AEM was the best gift, especially for those with spare computers.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
344 Posts
This is just one more reason for loving the EcoDiesel. Free money and free parts! The EcoDiesel is the truck that keeps on giving!
This is like the 15th factory recall on my 2015 Ram 1500. Still waiting for the local dealer to notify me that parts are available for two previous recalls. It sure would be nice if the factory would actually make parts available when they have a recall!
I have had 7 recalls on my 2015. 5 have been completed and 2 are pending parts.... the airbag and now the HPFP.
63,000 flawless miles, never a code. Purchased brand new...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone gone through the fix yet? Mine stalled out on my wife on June 10th, took it to dealer without knowing of recall and they said the HPFP went out and ruined the whole fuel system. There was no time frame on when FCA would send parts.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,573 Posts
Most of us haven't gotten the official recall yet. Let alone waiting for the dealers to get the replacement pumps in. I doubt that anyone will be "fixed" for at least another year.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts