RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help from someone with a new 2020 Ram 4x4 Limited 275/55r20 with air suspension. What is the hight from the ground to top of the cab with the truck lowered all the way down. I'm thinking about getting a camper shell and only have 70". The guy we bought the house from was real short and for some reason don't think he needed a full size opening. He had a truck but must have kept it outside. I would like to use the garage because it is close the house but can keep it in the shop we had built with a real door. We kept my 2500 4x4 in shop because it would not fit without a camper shell.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
My 2020 Laramie Longhorn, 5'7" crew cab with Rambox and air in entry exit mode is 73" to top of cab and I have winter snows on the 18" wheels. With the standard summer 20s it will be 1/2-1" higher.. You won't be keeping it in the garage with the 70" door for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made an error on the door hight it is 79", so it should clear I know it is not standard hight. I think I'm going to wait before we make the call on the camper. For sure I would have to remember to lower the truck before I pull in if we do get a camper shell.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I made an error on the door height it is 79", so it should clear I know it is not standard hight. I think I'm going to wait before we make the call on the camper. For sure I would have to remember to lower the truck before I pull in if we do get a camper shell.
IF your garage has a normal overhead garage door check to see it raises far enough that the header/framing of the door is the low spot. If the bottom of the door hangs below that if manual, the springs can be adjusted to hold it up higher and with an electric door opener they can be adjusted to raise the door higher too. That might get you a few more inches.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is electric and it does go above the door opening but I think I'll wait until we get the truck. We might do some remodeling of the garage, if I can get wife to agree with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don’t forget about the antenna. I’ve been lowering my suspension before backing into my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My truck should be in any day now. I am like a kid on Christmas eve.I had a contractor look at our door and we can take the top row of brick out and have a few more inches of clearness. Hope that will be enough, we can not go any higher because of the header.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Different question on this topic. What is the step in height with the air suspension in the entry exit mode? Either to door sill or side step is fine.
my 2020 longhorn with air suspension and the 18" wheels with Blizzaks is about 22.5" to the sill when in entry/exit mode. Will be about 1/2" higher with the stock 20" all season wheels and tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the truck today and it made it the garage without any problems and I might even have room for a camper shell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts