RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, As the title says, my ecodiesel hit 100,000 today as I pulled into the dealer. I traded it for a 2018 Ram 2500. Hated to get rid of the eco, but was concerned my camper was a little too large for the truck. The truck pulled it great without problems, but I will be retiring soon and the wife wants to do more traveling.

Guess I will be leaving this forum and joining the 2500 Cummins forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Congrats and Good luck with the new Ram. I understand as warranty is up.

Buddy James just hit 385,000 on his ED towing TTs commercially. Beats my first ED motor that went 371,000 towing TTs commercially before Losing a head gasket from leaking emissions part our infamous EGR cooler.

My new motor has 351,000 also towing TTs commercially. Once they get a proper aftermarket tune with the emissions stuff put in in the proper receptacle they seem to be pretty good when worked and maintained. Lot of 200k EDs but to my knowledge these are the only 300k EDs.

Lol buddy is following me in his Cummins powered 19 with an 11k 38’ me in ED towing a 33’ 7.5k going to Cali from Ohio. Each truck great the job their doing.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Good luck with your new ram. The Cummins is a great motor, u could keep thet forever, but then again if my EcoD lasts as long as Verns I'll have mine forever! 2015 with 54k and going strong towing my nearly 8k tt. (y) (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the end of warranty wasn't a deciding factor. Wife wants a larger camper, very possibly a 5th wheel and the eco wouldn't be a match! The eco didn't give me any trouble and was great fuel mileage, just would be very under powered for the a 5th wheel! If it wasn't for this, I would have kept the eco much longer!

·
Registered
128 Posts
These are the people you rarely here about on the internet, those who own these ecodiesels and drove them for miles and miles without issues. That is why forums should not be the determining factor in peoples opinions about vehicles.

Forums are more likely to attract people who have had a problem.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My 2017 Ecodiesel is about 3,000 miles from the 100,000 mile mark. I plan to keep and delete, though. If I were to tow over 10,000 lbs, I would do the same and go with a Cummins. So far, it has done great towing up to 10,000 lb boat trailers. Friend of mine has a Cummins 2500 and raves about it, great trucks.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Yeah my friend has already had emissions troubles with his 19 Cummins but still flat loves the truck. I’ve towed with it and it is amazing to tow with.

Set up aside Aerodynamics of what your towing and speed are the bigger deciding factors on what tows well behind the ED. A 7k box up a grade into the wind can take patience on an interstate. While a 9k boat up a ramp or on a flat or even up a steep switchbacks climb is no problem.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah my friend has already had emissions troubles with his 19 Cummins but still flat loves the truck. I’ve towed with it and it is amazing to tow with.

Set up aside Aerodynamics of what your towing and speed are the bigger deciding factors on what tows well behind the ED. A 7k box up a grade into the wind can take patience on an interstate. While a 9k boat up a ramp or on a flat or even up a steep switchbacks climb is no problem.
Was at a dealer yesterday who said the 2021 2500 CTD would have an Allison apparently taking the place of the 66/68 and perhaps the Aisian.

Reactions: Strider and justind

·
Registered
345 Posts
Was at a dealer yesterday who said the 2021 2500 CTD would have an Allison apparently taking the place of the 66/68 and perhaps the Aisian.
Seriously? Wow. That would be sweet. In 5-10 years and I can get an used one :)
New ones are house money!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is pure rumor but it is said Ram is looking at both Allison and ZF. I doubt that salesman knows what transmission Ram might go with.

What is known is ZF has been testing a Ram for over a year now so if Ram does change smart money would be on ZF being the transmission of choice as FCA already has a strong relationship with ZF and the ZF transmissions have preformed well.

Here is a video of the ZF being tested in the Ram with a Cummins: watch

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This is pure rumor but it is said Ram is looking at both Allison and ZF. I doubt that salesman knows what transmission Ram might go with.

What is known is ZF has been testing a Ram for over a year now so if Ram does change smart money would be on ZF being the transmission of choice as FCA already has a strong relationship with ZF and the ZF transmissions have preformed well.

Here is a video of the ZF being tested in the Ram with a Cummins: watch
The Allison is 9-spd and ready for 3/4 ton and 1 tons. Aisin is great but very dated. ZF is obvious however why not test the CTD with all 3 allowing for competitive contract bids and negotiations??

Rumors once said Cummins would not allow dodge to put another branded diesel in a 1/2 ton then came the ED. What I do believe is a new 8 or 9 speed in the 2500 and 3500 soon. Any one of the 3 is a win for the consumer.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,017 Posts
These are the people you rarely here about on the internet, those who own these ecodiesels and drove them for miles and miles without issues. That is why forums should not be the determining factor in peoples opinions about vehicles.

Forums are more likely to attract people who have had a problem.
I totally agree. I've said this story before.

When I bought my 2017 Eco, I cleaned up my last truck, a 2011 Silverado 5.3/6 spd to sell. There was an issue with the HVAC, and I found myself on the Silverado forum. Now the Silverado was a great truck for 7 years and 80,000 miles, no issues but for the cracked windshield, dent in the right door and the HVAC blower motor issues. Instead of trading it in, where you bring your own KY jelly, I got a total loan for the Eco (I got this Eco for a song at $30k OTD), and ended up selling the fixed up and cleaned up Chevy for $18,000, which worked out very well for me, but it was quite a bit of "elbow" grease to get there.

So I get on this Silverado forum and Holy Cows! I got the impression I must of been one lucky sob because I it seemed I had the worst truck ever made. But it was a good tow vehicle, just got shitty mileage, about 10 mpg towing. The Silverado never left me stranded.

So when I got on this forum I took it all with a grain of salt, or at least I tried too. When we took off March 21, 2019 with our RV TT on our ten week Alaska to Florida trip, 14.5k miles in all, I tried to ignore it all but deep down in my brain was the worry worm.......

I think we were going through El Paso, Tx, the radio was playing music off a thumb drive full of mixed music. All of a sudden I hear this very low volume "ticking" noise, very fast like a valve train noise, or maybe a rod. In seconds it got louder, and louder, and the hair on my neck stood straight up, for a second I really thought it was going to blow up.

It was a Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" song, some of you would know which song. After that short but very intense moment, I said the hell with it, if it blows it blows and I decided I wasn't going to worry about it any longer. And wouldn't you know it? We made it home safe and sound.

And here I am, 42,xxx miles in 30 months of ownership and zero issues. The miles towing are well over half of the total miles. And but for a tiny coolant leak when brand new (good hose clamps fixed that), nothing since has come up. I attribute no issues to using a tune and lots of towing that is getting things nice and hot, in other words work that diesel, they like it. My Ecodiesel is so far just excellent. The mpg towing averages 14.5, thought it can range from 16.4 to 10.5 mpg depending on what kind of fuel, clear #1 diesel is lousy for mileage. That deep dark stinky Louisiana #2 diesel is the shit man, getting over 16 mpg was something.

I've since coined a name to this all, as the "Forum Effect", lol... It's pretty common with any product. While it's good to note issues with our trucks, it's like getting your political news from Facebook, don't get all suck in on it all.

The squeaky wheel is the one heard the most. But the reality is the Ram Ecodiesel is a pretty cool and dependable truck. And like my Eco and my last couple of trucks, they are/have been reliable.

And I am of the notion that towing RV's is good for these trucks. Verndiesel,s story is outstanding and great evidence what this truck is capable of.

As for when to sell? I will move on before I hit 100k, I like the warranty too. I do think a 2500 is in my future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts