RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I tinkered around a bit and ended up with a great home made Cold air intake. Still a work in progress as i want a heat shield, but so far well worth the $80 and hour it took!

Took off all the stock silenced and what i considered to be restricted plastic pieces, and replaced with a solid aluminum tube. Hard part of the install was getting the oval elbow that's attached to the turbo, to form and fit on the 3 inch circular pipe! just needed a touch of water to finally slide it in!

Here's the results!
intakedelete.jpg intake.jpg

I also removed alot of the Motor silencing rubber that rests on top of the motor that serves no purpose except to sound deaden, and my engine cover!
Overall havent noticed a gain in any power or fuel economy, but i think theres a quicker spool up time and throttle response!
Best of all is it sounds AWESOME!!!!!! Love hearing a turbo again!!

Matched my 3 inch outer diameter x 18 inch long aluminum pipe with the stock flex piece with the factory MAF i believe, then fixed a K&N filter to it!

ALL under $80 (canadian).

stancebackground.jpg

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
See you left the air intake box. Now you have that filter instead of the factory one.

Hope it works over the long term.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See you left the air intake box. Now you have that filter instead of the factory one.

Hope it works over the long term.
left it there to hold up my filter till i make a bracket, along with a heat shield.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
-Paul R. Ehrlich

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Ecodeleto. KnN Air filters allow fine microscopic dust particles into the engine, resulting in blown engines very well documented on many forums, and guaranteed a voided warranty, nothing comes close to factory air filter assembly for engine longevity and performance . If you wish for better factory filtration the ac in cab air filter kit from Genos is a good addition.
Please don't take this as a negative post ,but I've enjoyed reading and congratulateding you on your great looking truck , just want your truck to run as good as it looks for a very long time .

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
Looks like you done some nice retrofitting for a "cold air" intake.
Part of the problem with your new filter location is your now sucking in air from the engine compartment.
I have seen on other forums where some of the guys with gas trucks add a pipe from that opening in the left part of the grille to the bottom of the airbox to help force air into the engine.
Having a turbo, you don't need to force air in.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I also own a Mustang GT and participate on those forums. Cold Air Intakes (CAI) are one of the first mods typically done. I can't tell you how many guys have snubbed the commercially available CAI's due to their high price and tried making their own to save $$. The issue is that there is a lot of R&D done on a properly done CAI so that it flows air properly. You also need to size it properly for the MAF to work as designed. While you may like the minimal investment and sound that you have right now, the butt dyno is not a good indicator of the proper flow for your engine. As Crash68 pointed out, you are also sucking hot air from the engine compartment. Ideally you want to take in fresh (cold) air from the very front of the hood or from the fender area. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but in the long run you could be doing damage that costs you money vs. saving it.

Then there is the whole K&N issue as Haul N Grass mentioned. I won't go into that here, but I'd caution you to google it before using it for too long.

My two cents....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys! Don't worry I don't take it negative. Can only learn from experience. Thought I would try this method as I wanted to find an alternative to the pricey aftermarket intakes. Still a work in progress. I would like to finish up my making a heat shield and also by swapping to a heat shield. I want to harness the factory air duct that brings air in so might modify my stock box. I would also like to swap to a paper coned filter as that is what I am used to running on my Cummins before. Have to find the right size etc for the BHAF (big honkin air filter)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Our engines have an intercooler, and are not normally aspirated via our turbo. I don't see how this will increase performance at all.

·
Registered
735 Posts
That is more of a warm air intake, however you are in Canada, so it will help in the winter. They should have put the active air system on these trucks. I do like that silencer delete pipe however.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the sound insulation on the top of the engine is also to keep heat in. It keeps the egr tube warm so there is less condensing of the soot as it enters the intake manifold. I think you deleted your egr anyway, but something to think about.

If only I could remember where I read that...

Edit: I realize condensing is the wrong word, but I think the temperature difference had an effect on soot build-up, so the insulation reduced the temp difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts