RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had mine flashed last week and didn't get a chance to drive it much until yesterday. I didn't notice much if any difference in throttle response. My mileage has been a little lower since putting on the Goodyear tires with Kevlar. Yesterday out on the road I averaged 24 mpg/hwy, but it was also raining, .56 inches while I was out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the GDE tune since 36,000 miles and had the AEM done at 93,000 miles. I forgot how terrible the truck drove stock. Needles to say I paid my$50 for a reflash of my GDE and now my truck is back to the way it was. Get the GDE tune....problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
From other threads it seems like some dealers may be missing some kind on initialization step. Mine was done yesterday and it is completely stock and other than slightly hiugher shift points I see no other difference in about 130 miles of driving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I hope my GDE re-boot will cure my terrible lag but according to GDE, we may also need their transmission tune to regain our pre-AEM transmission performance.

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
From other threads it seems like some dealers may be missing some kind on initialization step. Mine was done yesterday and it is completely stock and other than slightly hiugher shift points I see no other difference in about 130 miles of driving.
You so need to drive a truck with the GDE engine and trans tune. It will change your view like east from west.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Approved Emissions Modification (AEM)

I had my software updated on my 2015 Limited on Monday last week. I don't drive my truck much because I have a work truck. I took it out Saturday to go shop for a 2019 2500. In at least 3 separate occasions it had no acceleration and almost got me hit trying to pull into traffic. Has anyone else had the experience? I think I will call the dealership and see what they say.:mad:
I also had my ECU updated last week. The paperwork states, "The Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) consists of a software refresh that modifies the calibrations in your vehicle's Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). My truck now drives like I am pulling 10,000 lb trailer all of the time. Very sluggish, has to downshift much more significantly. Struggles to maintain speed going up a modest incline. Very slow and sluggish accelerating from a stop. Trying to go up a hill in a neighborhood at slow speed is practically impossible and I have to manually downshift to 2nd or even 1st gear to build up some RPM. It basically cannot get out of it's own way. Fuel economy is also noticeaby worst by at least 2 mpg. I am very disappointed with the vehicle performance. I am seriously considering the GDE tune to revive the performance of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You so need to drive a truck with the GDE engine and trans tune. It will change your view like east from west.
Yes, I understand that but it wouldn't change my views on original factory tune vs new emissions compliant which is what I was commenting on. I was not comparing to GDE tune since I cannot. I don't doubt your tune makes the truck run better but I have been OK with mine as is and it will be likely gone sometime this summer likely replaced by a PEntastar. IMHO diesel emissions controls at the current technology level are not ready for practical real world cost effective long term use. bticbw

All the best,

·
Registered
22 Posts
EPA did not program the AEM tune for FCA.

Have to agree the throttle response is initially bad immediately after the AEM install. Cold starts, in the thirties, seem to make the situation worse.
You are right epa did not write the tune but, epa held a gun to FCA's head to make sure it was written.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not sure what to make of the dogged slow, and the AEM did me in comments. Sure GDE is going to be a more responsive truck, we ALL know that. But my Stock ED was generally fine (except when cold) before the AEM, and runs the same since the AEM. Not sure why people think the AEM is such a disaster. To me it is not. I guess if you think it is, and it is killing you, there's a company in Michigan with a solution for you.

For me the AEM is a non-event. Besides the time spent to get it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You are right epa did not write the tune but, epa held a gun to FCA's head to make sure it was written.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Ha, This I highly doubt. FCA chose to play in the same market as the other diesel engine manufacturers for NA. They just chose to do so with an Italian engine that was not initially designed for EGR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fix for Sluggish response.....

OK, here is what i have found.... I installed the Pedal commander.... that helped... lots... but did not give me the throttle response i wanted... then one day... in the City, without towing a trailer... I put the truck in TOW/HAUL MODE. That combined with the pedal commander works pretty darn well. I too almost got t'boned a couple of times with the software in my 2017 Eco. Some day i hope to have the gde tune, but for now... this lil "fix" works well enough that I feel like it's at an acceptable level of throttle response.

Now... if i could just find a way to keep the Tow/haul mode turned on all the time. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think when you push the gas pedal down 3 times then drive 5 mph you are pairing the new ecm program to your trucks throttle position sensor and speed sensor.
Forgive me, I’m just an older lady trying to figure all this out. My throttle response is also lagging. Sometimes when I put it in reverse it just sits there. Will this help and could you give me step by step? Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just had my California truck updated two days ago with the AEM and Trans update. It is still the same... it took about 100 miles for the slowing down compression to come back...before it just coasted... no difference in mileage or performance. Good thing since we cannot have GDE tune in California.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Forgive me, I’m just an older lady trying to figure all this out. My throttle response is also lagging. Sometimes when I put it in reverse it just sits there. Will this help and could you give me step by step? Thanks.
Well its like this. I have found that the reset fix works but is only temporary. Your truck will work fine a for day then tomorrow it will need to be reset again.
My advice is that you take your truck back to the dealership that screwed it up and have them fix it. Then be the Hero and let the rest of us know what they did so we can fix ours also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Howie,

PM sent regarding your dealer of choice. Since it seems to have worked for you, I'd be interested in using the same one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From other threads it seems like some dealers may be missing some kind on initialization step. Mine was done yesterday and it is completely stock and other than slightly higher shift points I see no other difference in about 130 miles of driving.
ALSO, Howie12 (and anyone else that had the AEM done and hasn't had any problems) how about the fuel mileage? 130 miles maybe be too early to tell.

21 - 40 of 231 Posts