RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
ALSO, Howie12 (and anyone else that had the AEM done and hasn't had any problems) how about the fuel mileage? 130 miles maybe be too early to tell.
AS I said in my thread on comments on the new tune the mileage seems the same, but obviously cannot be confirmed down to the exact tenth of a mpg with so little driving. What is clear to me is that if there is a change it is only a tenth or two either way. I am not using the truck a lot nowadays so mileage accumulation isn't fast. I will report any changes I am confident of.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the AEM done yesterday on my 2014 and have driven about 250/300 miles since, and the truck drives fine! Acceleration was good in the mountains going up and down hills, and the transmission shifted appropriately for the conditions just fine! Dealer that did the update was 89 miles from home, and had updated quite a few trucks prior to mine, anyway all good! Just filled up so will see how mileage does with the update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got back from getting the update. Before: slight hesitation After: huge hesitation as in get run over in the middle of the intersection.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
AMEN!!. Just got my Ram back after having my updated ECM from GDE installed. Yes the transmission still wants to hold onto 7th gear longer than the pre-AEM days but at least I have my old engine performance back. I sure feel sorry for those 2017-18 owners if their engines are running as bad as mine was after the AEM tune.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just got mine done 3 hours ago. Initial reaction, straight out the dealership and maybe a 1/4 mile down the road, the acceleration was a bit peppier than usual. Pulled up to a light to get on the freeway and I stepped on it a little and felt a huge delay. Got on to the freeway and everything was fine. Was able to speed up to pass vehicles. When I left for work I got the delay again, but only after leaving my house. Overall, truck feels the same, with the exception of those two times I had the delay. It's not easy to repeat, so I assume it's something that will go away.

Also, my oil life meter stayed the same.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
AMEN!!. Just got my Ram back after having my updated ECM from GDE installed. Yes the transmission still wants to hold onto 7th gear longer than the pre-AEM days but at least I have my old engine performance back. I sure feel sorry for those 2017-18 owners if their engines are running as bad as mine was after the AEM tune.
Honestly the 17 and 18 crowd should have gotten exceptional deals...AND...unless they have driven a tuned truck they most likely do not know any different and really like their truck.

I do wonder how much of this is the 'computer relearning' the driver's driving style. If I remember correctly that is a 500 miles process.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'll throw my experience into this thread just to give another voice to the update...

First, I have both the GDE engine and transmission tunes so before going to the dealership I had to flash my original trans tune back so the tuner module didn't get locked and turn it into an expensive paperweight. So my tranny shifts like the original FCA tune and it is "soft" - in other words, the shifts are not as sharp and definitive as the GDE tune so even before the AEM update the truck felt different.

After the AEM update to the ECM and the TCM, the truck overall milder and not as crisp as the GDE engine and tranny tunes I had. I have not experienced a lag so bad that there was concern about getting T-boned at an intersection but it is definitely not as responsive as the GDE truck I had on Thursday morning. That said, I don't know that I would have noticed a significant difference pre- and post-AEM if I never had GDE tunes to begin with. I don't have to live with the AEM tune very long as I'll have my GDE-tuned truck back on Tuesday after a visit to their shop.

Another point... The dealer knew all about the AEM update and has obviously done a bunch of them before I got there. They had me work with a service writer who knew all the paperwork, steps to take, how FCA will be informed that I've had the AEM update done, etc. I received a couple of documents in a plastic folder detailing the extended warranty and a complete printout showing what work was done - and of course a laundry list of work the dealer would like to do to my truck, ranging from tires to diff fluid/transfer case fluid, brake fluid flush & fill, blah blah blah. Total: $2300!!!

Anyway, for those of you who purchased a truck originally sold in Canada... The extended warranty documents in the plastic sleeve specifically mentions trucks originally sold in Canada and they state the warranty extension IS available to you once you prove registration here in the States and get the AEM update. I don't know if you're eligible for the monetary claim but you at least get the benefit of the extended warranty on all of the emissions and engine components that U.S.-sold trucks have.

I'll update further if I notice anything drastic over the Memorial Day weekend. Otherwise I'll be GDE tuned by Noon on Tuesday ;)

Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got my truck back from the Dealership this Thursday after an engine fire while towing a Camper last April 26th. 30 days later and $500 deductible I drove my "updated" 2015 Lone Star home. And yes I definitely felt a difference from prior to the fire. I have a new throttle body, New Intake and associated wiring harness and fuel lines so everything is in the intake side is almost back to new. What I am feeling is a definite turbo lag when pressing the accelerator. Prior I could burn the tires if I wasn't careful. Now I have to really mash the pedal. This truck has always been a dog until the engine warms up but Friday morning was really bad. I came out of my neighborhood and prepared to jump on the main highway; pressed the pedal and Nothing...Nada...Nicht! Talk about panic cause here comes traffic at 55+. I mashed the throttle ALL the way down and it finally started moving.
From what I am experiencing I have big time turbo lag. This truck has a variable vane turbo (
) that is supposed to give you quick boost at low RPM and then adjusts the vanes to reduce and maintain a constant pressure over the entire RPM range. These new Turbos eliminate the need for a wategate used on fixed axial turbos.
So It would appear that the VGT on mine is either not working at all or the Reflash has reduced turbo boost for what ever reason in order to meet emissions standards. Either way this is making the truck dangerous to drive because now when attempting to merge into traffic you don't know if you're driving a brick or a drag racer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It seems that as I've put more miles on the AEM, my truck is settling back into normal. I'm wondering if the new flash has a full relearn to go through before it sets parameters. Idk much about the tuning in these trucks but I can confidently say that big "hole" in my throttle response is minimal anymore. Drive it and drive it like you stole it for a little while. If my AC is running full bore it's still a little lazier than normal. But don't be shy with your right foot. It's taken about 1k miles for it to seem to normalize.

Those that have this lag issue will understand that it's not something you get "used to", so don't think I've acclimated to the way it drives. I literally drove this truck like I stole it for a little while. I was that mad at this new tune. It was so bad I even put stock tires back on in hopes to gain any power I could back. Give it time, and drive the truck. Don't baby it for a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just had my AEM done this past Tuesday and drove home (about 25-minute drive) -mostly highway and I didn't notice any lag. In fact, i expected to feel less power and didn't. All good in my opinion. I'm going to use it to move a trailer as well as launch my boat in the next couple days. If I notice anything out-of-sorts I will reply here again.
As for your truck, I suggest taking it back to the dealer and showing (take a drive with the service advisor) the problem to them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I had my software updated on my 2015 Limited on Monday last week. I don't drive my truck much because I have a work truck. I took it out Saturday to go shop for a 2019 2500. In at least 3 separate occasions it had no acceleration and almost got me hit trying to pull into traffic. Has anyone else had the experience? I think I will call the dealership and see what they say.:mad:
Mine did the same thing at first but it has gone away. Has yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sign me up too. I got a 2015 and something. Pulling in to traffic and almost got hit. And I as well dont deive much but. Wondering if it will go away once I drive it more? Or jus a bunch of bs? Please shine some light on those anybody?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my fix, I have a 2016, and I didn't notice anything unusual. I've only driven it about 30 minutes since it was fixed but no noticeable differences yet. I'm curious if she'll be drinking a lot more DEF now with the fix, gonna have to wait and see on that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Def consumption is definitely up a bit from prior. Hard to tell how much as I've not filled my tank, but the gauge is surely goin down a bit quicker. Crappy throttle response is isolated to when it's cold now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got back from getting the update. Before: slight hesitation After: huge hesitation as in get run over in the middle of the intersection.
I guess I should have waited to drive the truck a few times. It actually has better throttle response now than before the update once warmed up.
The only noticeable difference now is that that transmission shifts at a higher rpm in each gear than before the update.

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I bought my 17 Ram it was such a dog... It was hunting between 7 and 8 gear on highway on flat....

Thanks to GDE... it runs completely different right now.

Stealership is not touching my software... considering I have a straight pipe right now...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Roughly 300 miles post flash when cold my truck now has so little power from a dead start it is pathetic. Today a few minutes after starting the engine I did a few dead stops then floorboarded starts on a DIRT road. The truck accelerated like a snail with so little torque that despite it's 3.92 gears it would NOT even spin the wheels on dirt. Pre flash this truck would dig two trenches on dirt if I punched the throttle. I also found out that if I stop after driving 50 or 60 miles so fully warmed up then turn it off and spend 30 minutes eating lunch when I go to leave the restaurant throttle response is right back to serious lag. No joke, cold I think in a race my 20 yr old Husqvarna lawn mower would be a car length ahead at 20 mph. Fortunately I already was planning on a GDE offroad full delete and had already purchased the exhaust pipe and EGR delete kit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also had my ECU updated last week. The paperwork states, "The Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) consists of a software refresh that modifies the calibrations in your vehicle's Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). My truck now drives like I am pulling 10,000 lb trailer all of the time. Very sluggish, has to downshift much more significantly. Struggles to maintain speed going up a modest incline. Very slow and sluggish accelerating from a stop. Trying to go up a hill in a neighborhood at slow speed is practically impossible and I have to manually downshift to 2nd or even 1st gear to build up some RPM. It basically cannot get out of it's own way. Fuel economy is also noticeaby worst by at least 2 mpg. I am very disappointed with the vehicle performance. I am seriously considering the GDE tune to revive the performance of the vehicle.
Ditto! Mine came back a pig after AEM. Lost 5 mpg too. Put the GDE engine and tranny tune back on as quick as I could!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 231 Posts