RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts

I'm really curious exactly how they decided to give owners $3000+/-. What were they reimbursing us for? Or was there a wink wink this will give them enough money to get an aftermarket tune when the inevitable uproar after the AEM occurs. How did they come up with the numbers?
Short non politically correct answer....After the lawyers finished lining their pockets the victims get a divvied up share of the settlement money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the recall done on my 2016 Ram Eco Diesel truck 4 weeks ago. After it was done the acceleration went from good to bad. I had it back at the dealership to find out what was wrong and they gave me the run around. We ended up taking it to another dealership that finally gave us answers. The tech called Chrysler and Chrysler told him that due to the Emissions recall they had to turn the acceleration down on the trucks. So not happy with what I was told. My truck won’t go any faster then 10 mph after I leave from a stop and then plays catch up and speeds up. Does Chrysler not realize that that’s an issue and someone is going to either end up hurt really bad or someone could die because of it?!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had the recall done on my 2016 Ram Eco Diesel truck 4 weeks ago. After it was done the acceleration went from good to bad. I had it back at the dealership to find out what was wrong and they gave me the run around. We ended up taking it to another dealership that finally gave us answers. The tech called Chrysler and Chrysler told him that due to the Emissions recall they had to turn the acceleration down on the trucks. So not happy with what I was told. My truck won’t go any faster then 10 mph after I leave from a stop and then plays catch up and speeds up. Does Chrysler not realize that that’s an issue and someone is going to either end up hurt really bad or someone could die because of it?!
There's something wrong with your truck. Mine had the update done and I can crawl away from an intersection, cruise away, or leave rubber (something I don't do anyway). Mine is no speed demon, but it's also no different than it was before the update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got it back from the dealership. The tech noticed the same issue. There is no codes so he contacted Chrysler and they told him with the new update for the recall that’s the new normal. I have the messages from Chrysler saying that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
.FYI When the engine is cold 80% of us have the exact same issue, some call it throttle lag but it actually a loss of low end torque. When cold my truck with 3.92 gears and stock 33" street tread tires will not spin the wheels on DIRT. Cold from a dead stop it just lumbers slowly forward picking up RPM until the tach hits the magic number 2,000 to 2,100 RPM the it takes off like a scalded cat. When warmed up part way 190 degrees I still notice a lag but only about a second, fully warmed up it is not noticable. It does suck, an aftermarket tune is the only known cure.

Today I was a my dealer scheduling an airbag recall for my JK, I mentioned the AEM fubar and she said they know about they have been fielding complaint after complaint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I finally became so frustrated with the poor performance of the truck that I purchased the So Faking Tuned Engine and Transmission update (https://www.sofakingtuned.com/#/ ). I'm impressed with the performance and shifting of the tranny now. I'm back to full boost at full stop and I haven't any more lag even when cold. I just jump in, start er up and take off. Best part is it holds OD even climbing hills. Just returned from a 1200 mile trip and was happy with mileage. Average of 29 mpg with light wind at the rear and 25 on the return trip with a 10 - 15 mph quartering head wind. I am waiting to see how it tows again. I stopped towing a trailer because the friggin truck was constantly hunting between 7th - 6th gear. Pulled a 7500 lb trailer for 20 miles and it wouldn't go over 65 mph and stayed at 3500 rpm most of the trip.
The update was quick...I received a set of USB/OB2II dongles (one for Engine, other for Trans). Downloaded the application software and VPN connect from their web page, Uploaded the ECU and TCM firmware to the Server and after a day was able to install both within 20 min. I deleted the Transmission adaptive learning just before heading out of town. If I have any issues the owner is really quick to respond to my emails. Great customer support.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Didn't read through the entire thread, but another disgruntled post AEM owner here.

My theory - detune with AEM so that owners will install aftermarket tunes/pedal commanders thus nullifying the mandatory extended warranties offered with the update. Pay some $3000 settlements here and hope that the saved money on blown motors "not covered due to aftermarket modification" recuperates some of the giant loss with this whole deal. Maybe some under the table kick backs from aftermarket suppliers? Eh? Anyone else into conspiracy theories?

I got the same pitch from the dealer after complaining, but they called it turbo lag. I had to explain to them that wasn't how turbos worked, but they said no matter the reason, Chrysler says it is acceptable.

I've nearly died a half dozen times since the update trying to cross traffic coming out of the oil fields and construction sites where I work. Small town highways where everyone does 80 mph and you have to go when you get the chance. I haven't gotten used to it and adjusted my driving. I'm test driving other trucks now though. This is just too much. And to dump the warranty with a tune/commander, I'm not sure it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I finally became so frustrated with the poor performance of the truck that I purchased the So Faking Tuned Engine and Transmission update (https://www.sofakingtuned.com/#/ ). I'm impressed with the performance and shifting of the tranny now. I'm back to full boost at full stop and I haven't any more lag even when cold. I just jump in, start er up and take off. Best part is it holds OD even climbing hills. Just returned from a 1200 mile trip and was happy with mileage. Average of 29 mpg with light wind at the rear and 25 on the return trip with a 10 - 15 mph quartering head wind. I am waiting to see how it tows again. I stopped towing a trailer because the friggin truck was constantly hunting between 7th - 6th gear. Pulled a 7500 lb trailer for 20 miles and it wouldn't go over 65 mph and stayed at 3500 rpm most of the trip.
The update was quick...I received a set of USB/OB2II dongles (one for Engine, other for Trans). Downloaded the application software and VPN connect from their web page, Uploaded the ECU and TCM firmware to the Server and after a day was able to install both within 20 min. I deleted the Transmission adaptive learning just before heading out of town. If I have any issues the owner is really quick to respond to my emails. Great customer support.
Reads just like all the paid endorsements sft used to push on other forums/pages.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Reads just like all the paid endorsements sft used to push on other forums/pages.
It's time you guys quit the negatives and accept the fact that there's someone besides GDE putting out a credible tune and great service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In addition to calling to file an official complaint with the FCA I have also filed a safety complaint with NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I would suggest more file official complaints to force their hand to do something about the changes after the AEM updates. My acceleration has become so bad its a huge safety hazard to drive and try to merge as I had to pull to the side of the road many times because of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am considering this. Have you had to put back your original tune? Does the software accommodate a restore to your original saved file? I seen on the website sofa king charge $50 for retuning but not sure why if you have the original tune in a file.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes also horible throttle response

yea I had my recall done two weeks ago , my throttle response is really sluggish , I've lost 2 mpg in town and 2.5 mpg on the highway at 78 mpg . I wish I had never had the recall done !!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea I went back and told the dealer about it they said unless the check engine light was on and it was throwing a code there was nothing they could do for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Almost got Tboned earlier cuz of this shit and then it jumped once the motor caught up to the pedal.

I have complained to FCA twice already

·
Registered
155 Posts
In addition to calling to file an official complaint with the FCA I have also filed a safety complaint with NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I would suggest more file official complaints to force their hand to do something about the changes after the AEM updates. My acceleration has become so bad its a huge safety hazard to drive and try to merge as I had to pull to the side of the road many times because of it.
Thanks, I’ll do this as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Almost got Tboned earlier cuz of this shit and then it jumped once the motor caught up to the pedal.

I have complained to FCA twice already
Had my first two almost accidents today getting lunch, just got the recall update done. Had the GDE tune, which was fantastic, but living in California, I am SOL on getting the ECU re- flashed. Ordered the SofaKing ECU and Trans kit, so hopefully that gets me back to where i was at. Mileage has significantly dropped off. down 4-5mpg. And the engine revs much higher during highway cruising speeds.
Thankfully, the $3k will offset the cost and headache.

Be safe out there after getting the update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the update done without my permission at Anderson Dodge/Ram in Rockford IL. My truck runs like crap now! I tow a small 3100 pound travel trailer and acceleration is terrible.
It use to just pick up and go now it hesitates to the point it's a safety issue when merging. The dealership said they have to do the update it's required. Well in speaking with the settlement people
all safety recalls are required. I believe there's more of a safety issue now than before it was done! Again I told them not to do this update until I research how it was going to affect the truck.
I'm pissed!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has been really soft and I have lost at lest 2 miles per gallon. I have seen references to GDE. I think I need to find out what that is.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts