RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Horrible throttle response after new Software

64K views 235 replies 118 participants last post by  John Jensen 
#1 ·
I had my software updated on my 2015 Limited on Monday last week. I don't drive my truck much because I have a work truck. I took it out Saturday to go shop for a 2019 2500. In at least 3 separate occasions it had no acceleration and almost got me hit trying to pull into traffic. Has anyone else had the experience? I think I will call the dealership and see what they say.:mad:

#5 ·
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I got the computer mod on May 8th and have the same low speed, no power experience.

This morning I was pulling my 5000 pound trailer up a hill and thought the engine was going to die. In the past the truck has pulled that trailer up the hill with plenty of power.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

#8 ·
When I got the GDE tune a little over a year ago it fixed the throttle lag problem. That was the first thing I noticed when I pulled the truck out of their shop - the throttle finally worked like every other vehicle!

Bob

Reactions: Mooseeater
#10 ·
Really should not matter.

GDE owners will immediately go back after that re-program. Non-GDE owners should have GDE and should know the advantages. Agree it is sad that the factory product can be such a "dog". Thank our EPA maybe?

#12 ·
Well Cap, nice to hear you finally accept the fact that the new software flash is a real bummer. I knew last week when I posted a short lived excitement that I was correct. My truck is nothing like it was before the EPA update. I am 70 years young and know my vehicle. You are correct about the EPA, they suck.

#15 ·
Wow, its getting difficult to know where to post experiences with the new AEM update, seems like there are 4 or 5 threads covering essentially the same topic. Perhaps the moderators can merge them into one.

Anyway, update on my experience over the last few days. The AEM flash seems to have reprogrammed the transmission shift points. While I haven't noticed a more significant throttle lag, the truck seems to stay in the same gear longer than before. The widened shift bands feel like a lack of throttle response, and to me it feels more like the up shifts aren't happening fast enough to stay on top of the horsepower and torque curves and its taking longer to get to the peaks.

I'm definitely becoming a GDE customer when the settlement check comes in.

Reactions: howie12
#16 ·
Well, FWIW, even though no longer got an ED, got this MY 19 Hemi. I could not even imagine a slower lag, I would be on the Highway to either Michigan or the Post office with article addressed to GDE, just saying.

When I go in fer service with my Hemi, I have the OBD taped and I have told my SA REP, do not even think about flashing ne thing. There are 2 recalls out that have nothing to do with a flash, and I will eventually get em done.

Just how this Boird rolls.

IMHO, It seems everytime FCA does an update Flash and/or the EPA gets in the way, things just get worse, maybe just my viewpoint... WHY I do not allow em to touch and do ne flashes unless I have done a heck of a lot of research and see what is going on...

#18 ·
Yup, they have to program to EPA rules just like everyone else does in the States. FCA knew they had to do this when they decided to market the ED to NA. Still, I don't notice anything resembling the dead pedal feel of the AEM equipped ED when driving 6.7 powerstrokes or cummins. FCA is responsible for the execution of the AEM within the parameters established by the government here.

#19 ·
I had the software updated last Wednesday, the truck seemed okay but I also had poor throttle response one a few occasions. But my EGR cooler did go out after the update. The truck is at the dealership now as they try and figure out how this extended warranty works.

#21 ·
I had mine flashed last week and didn't get a chance to drive it much until yesterday. I didn't notice much if any difference in throttle response. My mileage has been a little lower since putting on the Goodyear tires with Kevlar. Yesterday out on the road I averaged 24 mpg/hwy, but it was also raining, .56 inches while I was out.

#26 ·
Approved Emissions Modification (AEM)

I also had my ECU updated last week. The paperwork states, "The Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) consists of a software refresh that modifies the calibrations in your vehicle's Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). My truck now drives like I am pulling 10,000 lb trailer all of the time. Very sluggish, has to downshift much more significantly. Struggles to maintain speed going up a modest incline. Very slow and sluggish accelerating from a stop. Trying to go up a hill in a neighborhood at slow speed is practically impossible and I have to manually downshift to 2nd or even 1st gear to build up some RPM. It basically cannot get out of it's own way. Fuel economy is also noticeaby worst by at least 2 mpg. I am very disappointed with the vehicle performance. I am seriously considering the GDE tune to revive the performance of the vehicle.

#60 ·
I also had my ECU updated last week. The paperwork states, "The Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) consists of a software refresh that modifies the calibrations in your vehicle's Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). My truck now drives like I am pulling 10,000 lb trailer all of the time. Very sluggish, has to downshift much more significantly. Struggles to maintain speed going up a modest incline. Very slow and sluggish accelerating from a stop. Trying to go up a hill in a neighborhood at slow speed is practically impossible and I have to manually downshift to 2nd or even 1st gear to build up some RPM. It basically cannot get out of it's own way. Fuel economy is also noticeaby worst by at least 2 mpg. I am very disappointed with the vehicle performance. I am seriously considering the GDE tune to revive the performance of the vehicle.
Ditto! Mine came back a pig after AEM. Lost 5 mpg too. Put the GDE engine and tranny tune back on as quick as I could!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Not sure what to make of the dogged slow, and the AEM did me in comments. Sure GDE is going to be a more responsive truck, we ALL know that. But my Stock ED was generally fine (except when cold) before the AEM, and runs the same since the AEM. Not sure why people think the AEM is such a disaster. To me it is not. I guess if you think it is, and it is killing you, there's a company in Michigan with a solution for you.

For me the AEM is a non-event. Besides the time spent to get it.

#33 ·
Fix for Sluggish response.....

OK, here is what i have found.... I installed the Pedal commander.... that helped... lots... but did not give me the throttle response i wanted... then one day... in the City, without towing a trailer... I put the truck in TOW/HAUL MODE. That combined with the pedal commander works pretty darn well. I too almost got t'boned a couple of times with the software in my 2017 Eco. Some day i hope to have the gde tune, but for now... this lil "fix" works well enough that I feel like it's at an acceptable level of throttle response.

Now... if i could just find a way to keep the Tow/haul mode turned on all the time. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.