RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick general question for the class....

When you are doing your own oil changes, fuel filter replacements etc, what type of record keeping do you do?

Obviously receipts with part #s and that paper trail is important showing a date of purchase etc.

I was curious specifically how you might be documenting the mileage it is performed at? I can see this as a crucial item if a warranty claim might be needed.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
There are a few pages just for that in one of the books that came with the owner's manual ,
it is not the owner's manual itself , you could always use the last 2 pages of the owner's manual.
I keep that other book in the big glove box compartment .

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Just write mine in on the pages available in the manual. When I am out of warranty I will quit documenting it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've always kept a small notebook in my gloveboxes showing all maint that is done on my vehicles - both what I do and what the dealer does. I buy my filters from Amazon and the oil from Walmart. I keep the oil receipts in an envelope, and Amazon has history of my filter purchases. My notebook shows date and mileage. I gotta believe that would be enough, but if it was not I'd simply ask them to show that the oil was not changed. I think general record keeping would be just fine. FCA is fully aware of these engine issues and I've yet to read where they have tried to get out of warrantying an engine unless some gross negligence stands out....

I also like the idea of the Mopar Owners App and did not realize you could enter that data. Once again, the beauty of a forum like this.

Keep your receipts and enjoy your truck!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a log book which I record all maintenance, fuel, engine hours and idle times, fuel costs, litres, trip odometer, odometer and litres/K.
I keep the book in the drivers door panel for convenience.
It shows every single thing ever done with the truck. My log book is a hard cover with lined columns within.
We have done the same with my Duramax since 2003.

I'd hate to add up all of the fuel and other purchases for it since 2003 but it's all there.

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
I keep a detailed log on my computer and also use the "My Mopar" app.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've got a little black book in my shop with pages for all of my vehicles and machines. It's just a log to reminds me when I last changed fluids, filters, other parts and what I did to other machines like lawn mowers, outboard motors, snow blowers. I keep all the reciepts of the parts and fluids I buy. I think together they will satisfy a warranty claim but I've never had to use it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just make pictures of: 1. receipts for all parts/oil, 2. Dashboard with total mileage, oil status % etc. 3. All parts and oil. Google Photos store them for free and they have dates.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Same as many have expressed. Date, mileage, materials and work performed all on those owners book pages in the back. Stuff some receipts in the glove box or whatever.

Then hope you never need to use any of it except for reference to the next service.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You all are OCD. Credit cards keep track on what you buy.
Because it's easier to sift thru credit card statements , instead of looking in a specific , and convenient location....

...Said no one ever. ;)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Blackstone Oil Analysis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts