RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 with 113k miles. Headed to Maine from Florida next week. Only concern is tone wheel. Got new engine 9k miles ago. Not going to shut off truck at fuel stops. I had the w58 software update done. Who has experienced failure and how many miles?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Transmission has to be pulled to replace it correct?
Yes it does. Tone wheel failure is caused by delamination of the magnetic strip either due to rust behind the strip or fatigue of the adhesive. Your new engine should have a new tone wheel that will have many miles ahead before failure. In fact I would think that you would have a newer version tone wheel and the only reason you qualified for the W58 patch is by your VIN number only. I really don't think you needed it......but maybe someone here can verify.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Common enough for me to buy a new tone wheel and put it in my glovebox. $43 at local dealership.
Hi: r3gill... I've never heard of a "Tone wheel" before. Are they that "Common"? Maybe I just lived a sheltered life.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Hi: r3gill... I've never heard of a "Tone wheel" before. Are they that "Common"? Maybe I just lived a sheltered life.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
If you havent heard of a tone wheel or reluctor wheel on this forum you blind or dont know how to read... so which is it lol

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Like others have said your new engine came with a new tone wheel I wouldnt be concerned about it for some time.

Keeping a spare is not a bad idea, any shop that can drop a transmission can change one.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
That's correct according to the official recall.

Population :
Number of potentially involved : 58,016
Estimated percentage with defect : 2 %
My question would be 2% of what? It seems to be a time/fatigue/corrosion issue. 2% flat failure rate as in only 2% fail in the life of the vehicles? Or 2% fail under warranty? Or 2% fail in 50,000 miles? My guess is many will fail. A water pump is probably about a 100% failure rate if you keep a vehicle long term.

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
My question would be 2% of what? It seems to be a time/fatigue/corrosion issue. 2% flat failure rate as in only 2% fail in the life of the vehicles? Or 2% fail under warranty? Or 2% fail in 50,000 miles? My guess is many will fail. A water pump is probably about a 100% failure rate if you keep a vehicle long term.
I can't answer. I'm only the messenger. :) Actually it sounds like FCA is saying "estimated percentage with defect" and not specifically stating percentage of failure.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I can't answer. I'm only the messenger. :) Actually it sounds like FCA is saying "estimated percentage with defect" and not specifically stating percentage of failure.
Yeah, makes it sound like 98% should never fail with the life of the engine.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Out of the 2 engines on Vern's truck. Combined mielage of 800k miles. 1 out of 2 engines had reluctor fall apart. 800k miles that is.

·
Registered
2019 Classic Laramie CC
114 Posts
Well the question is did the new motor come with the tone wheel or did they take the old one off and re-use it? I would think a crate motor would come with all new sensors ready to plug in and go. In such case you would have many days and miles before you would have to be concerned about a tone ring failure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts