RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Kind of sucks to be new to a forum and already have a problem when ordering a new vehicle that isn't even here but such is life.

I ordered my new Ram on May 31st. After a few weeks I decided to call to get my VON/VIN so that I could track the progress on the truck. Immediately seemed as though I was getting the run around from the dealer, answering machines, no call backs etc. The few times I could get them on the phone their system was mysteriously down. I was starting to get nervous about the dealer. Last night I finally cornered the salesman into finding the VON/VIN. He gave me the VON number after putting me on hold for over 15 minutes. I wondered why there was no VIN as we're getting close to 4 weeks since I ordered the truck.

I took the VON over to another forum which has a member that can track the trucks for you and when I gave him the info, his system showed no info for the truck. And according to the same thread, trucks that were ordered the same day or after mine are being scheduled for build and have been issued VIN's. So now I'm thinking that either a) the dealer screwed something up on the order or b) they forgot to order it all together and that's why it took them so long to get me any information.

Unforunately I still can't get anyone on the phone there so I can't get them to send me a copy of the Priced Order Confirmation so I'm kind of at a dead end here.

So, to either to put my mind at ease or really set me off, how long did it take for you to get your VIN?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd go into the dealer in person and ask for this info, since you are having no luck on the phone. If the salesman says he can't get it for you, ask to speak with the general manager or the owner of the dealer. They can't avoid you the same in person.

To answer your question... I got my VIN about 2 weeks after I placed the order but I only got this by calling the salesman and bugging him for a delivery date.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
First off Blue, welcome to the community. :D

Next up, let's take a little stroll...

You place an order...and the branch splits - did you place a deposit on the truck, or just "order it" with no money down. Road 1 which involved putting money down, makes YOUR things happen faster, usually. Road 2, where you express interest and say you want it, but know you won't decide until your drive it...well, the dealer knows that, too, so they treat "your" order as if it's really "their" order, as they know you could easily back out of that "deal".

So assuming they take the action of ordering the truck, we now hit The Wall of Allocation! <insert scary music here>

Each month, every dealer has X number of trucks in configurations they can order form the manufacturer. My path went like this: Ordered on April 18th. Waited until may 2nd, where allocations for May became known, and THEN my order was transmitted to the manufacturer for building. So, almost two weeks form when I pulled the trigger until we knew if the plant accepted my order. That is normal and depends entirely on your timing and how sales have been during a given month. Now, because these diesels have been hotter than a Texas schoolteacher in a library with no AC, the allocations usually dry up pretty damn quick each month.

Oh, I chose Road #1 - put a grand down to start the process. So I was a sure thing, as once I signed the contract, it was either take delivery or lose my grand. that's the price you pay to secure a seat at this rodeo, though.

Next up...will the plant agree to make the truck you ordered?

Ah, I hear you saying "WTF?! Why wouldn't they?!" Well, fact is, shit changes and even though the dealer TRIES to stay up to speed, often things happen. A parts supplier may only be able to deliver X number of a part, thuse slowing production of a certain combination of options. Chrysler may find that Option A is ordered 99% of the time with Option C, so restrictions Option A as a stand alone and only allows it in combo with Option C. This may be done to speed built time, cut down on inventory management or gain economies of scale when ordering from suppliers.

So, assuming the plant says "Yeah, we can build what you asked for right now...", they still have to say they WILL fit it into the process. Almost 100% of the item, they will, and you'll end up with an assigned build date, ship date, etc.

You will note, during this entire time, there is NO VIN ASSIGNED. The VIN is not generated until the truck starts down the line. until that time, and indeed, even after that, the VON is your friend. It's the ONE number needed to track progress, get updates and generally understand where your truck is.

Layered on top of all of this is the usual dealership scenarios. They are busy. They deal with a lot of lookey-loos and tire kickers, but relatively few actual buyers. So they basically treat everyone the same - unworthy until a wallet opens up. this experience varies, of course, and comes down to actual people you deal with, but let's remember than most salesman earn their living based on selling cars, not forma salary. So they've learned to try to separate shoppers from buyers quickly, and only want to put time into buyers. they know you can and will shop online, so they concentrate on the buyers only in many cases.

I'm not saying this is right, mind you, just stating some of the facts "from their side". (Yes, I used to sell cars once upon a time. Summer job. Ended up hating it.)

Thus it's completely plausible to not hear from them (they have nothing new to report), and not have a VIN number for a month or so after ordering the truck.

So, with your VON in hand, look up a forum referred to as The Z (ramforumz) and go to the 2014 section (or, I imagine, soon to be added 2015 section). Top of the page is a thread in which you can post your VON and ask a gent names SPP to add you to his tracking list. From that moment forward, you will simply marvel at the data and the fact you'll never be able to thank him in person.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the info, I appreciate you taking the time to write up such an in depth answer. I put $2000 down the day I ordered the truck so I'm sure there's no mix up there.

Unfortunately for me, spp was not able to find any info with my VON, just a "?". Not a good feeling coming up on a month after ordering. I just wish someone at my dealership could/would take the time to find out and communicate to me what is going on. Seems like a crappy system for a $40,000 truck when I can buy a $1,000 computer from Dell and follow it down the line right to my door.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the info, I appreciate you taking the time to write up such an in depth answer. I put $2000 down the day I ordered the truck so I'm sure there's no mix up there.

Unfortunately for me, spp was not able to find any info with my VON, just a "?". Not a good feeling coming up on a month after ordering. I just wish someone at my dealership could/would take the time to find out and communicate to me what is going on. Seems like a crappy system for a $40,000 truck when I can buy a $1,000 computer from Dell and follow it down the line right to my door.

Thanks again.
Right - you need to go to the dealer and pin down your salesman. Could be he/she is gone now. But either way, they have your $2,000 and you have no info - not kosher, IMO.

So, next trip into town, leave time to stop by, sit and hang out until the question is answered. The mix up could simply be an error in the VON number you were given - a digit off, etc. or, it could be they don't want to order in in the 14 model year and are hoping to stall until the 2015 allocations open - which is still a couple months away, IIRC...so don't let any more time slip past on this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I feel you. I put down a deposit and it took me 3 weeks to get a VIN. The dealer told me it was D1 status with a delivery date of 6/26. I called Ram a few days ago and they said it still hadn't started production. I've actually gotten more/better info from calling the dealer vs. the Ram rep on the phone.

Reactions: ustuplay

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi all,

Kind of sucks to be new to a forum and already have a problem when ordering a new vehicle that isn't even here but such is life.

I ordered my new Ram on May 31st. After a few weeks I decided to call to get my VON/VIN so that I could track the progress on the truck. Immediately seemed as though I was getting the run around from the dealer, answering machines, no call backs etc. The few times I could get them on the phone their system was mysteriously down. I was starting to get nervous about the dealer. Last night I finally cornered the salesman into finding the VON/VIN. He gave me the VON number after putting me on hold for over 15 minutes. I wondered why there was no VIN as we're getting close to 4 weeks since I ordered the truck.

I took the VON over to another forum which has a member that can track the trucks for you and when I gave him the info, his system showed no info for the truck. And according to the same thread, trucks that were ordered the same day or after mine are being scheduled for build and have been issued VIN's. So now I'm thinking that either a) the dealer screwed something up on the order or b) they forgot to order it all together and that's why it took them so long to get me any information.

Unforunately I still can't get anyone on the phone there so I can't get them to send me a copy of the Priced Order Confirmation so I'm kind of at a dead end here.

So, to either to put my mind at ease or really set me off, how long did it take for you to get your VIN?
Your dealer appears to be dropping the ball. I would track down the sales manager and explain that I want to know exactly what is going on with my order and that I expect better communications. If the dealer is unresponsive I would call whatever Ram Customer Assistance is in Canada and get them involved. If the dealer actually placed the order in their June allocation then there is no excuse for not providing you with the POC and VON immediately. The VIN is assigned when your order reaches D status (firm build schedule) which depends on plant scheduling. Delivery is currently 6 to 9 weeks on orders so I would have expected your truck to be scheduled by now unless the order was put on hold for some reason.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My dealer gave me a VON that was 1 number off. I had him send me a pdf of the order and caught the mistake. Once i had the correct VON i belive it took 2 weeks for a Vin#. my truck is in D1 now, ordered 6-5 and dealer said delivery date of 7-26. But we shall see. I wish it was sooner. haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually drove to the dealer this afternoon to talk to the general manager. I still don't think a customer should have to drive down to a dealer to get an answer to such a simple question but that's besides the point now.

Anyway, the GM called a guy who he said is a "regional rep" who said that he would call the plant tomorrow and find out what is going on. It appears to the GM that there is some sort of hold on the truck. So why did it take this long to notify anyone I asked? He said he didn't know. If I hadn't been pestering these guys who knows how long it would have taken to figure out that anything was wrong with the order?

The only thing I can think of that could have caused any issues is the bench seat I ordered, but I've seen the pictures of other guys' trucks that have the bench seats so why would it cause an issue now?

Oh well, I guess I have to wait some more to get any answers. Hopefully they actually do call me back this time...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ordered my truck the same day as yours, heard nothing from the dealer until I went in a June 10 since I knew orders were opened on the 9th. Finally got the VON after waiting close to 45 min and nothing posted until the 16th after orders had closed and I got D1 and a est build date of 6/27. Hoping I'll see the truck by August, but anything before then I would consider early, very welcome though.

I think guys have had problems getting the Laramie bench seat approved and a few claimed they were told it was discontinued. I would expect they will tell you the bench seat is out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree you shouldn't have had to drive down to the dealer but unfortunately that's what has to be done quite often now a days...it's just to easy avoid and not return phone calls but people can't do that if you're there in person.

The bench seat could very we'll be causing an issue. I wanted a bench seat too but was told flat out that they will not put a bench in the ecodiesel in anything from the slt up. I had to pay the $1000 to upgrade to the "premium buckets". It seem to just be a cash grab because the diesels are selling.

If it's been 4 weeks since you put a deposit on the truck, the dealer should have been aware there was an issue. Sounds like you'll really have to stay on top of them...possibly even a couple more trips back.

Best of luck...hope it all works out for ya soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well yesterday the rep for Ram Canada finally got back to my dealer after finding out what was holding up the truck. Turns out the issue is the bench seat. The factory doesn't have any bench seats left in inventory and they are not ordering any more bench seats until they begin production of the 15's. Dealer gave me the option of waiting for a 15 with the bench seat or changing the order to buckets. My current truck has buckets and I've lived with them for 4 years, plus I don't want to wait until Christmas for my truck so I changed my order and ended up having to pay dealer cost for the buckets (around $800 if you're wondering). I really wanted the bench seat but I want the truck more I guess. Sucks that even though you order your truck right from the factory they still wont build you what you want.

Now for the second part. As you may have gathered from my earlier posts, no one was notified that the truck was held up at the factory. If I hadn't been a squeaky wheel, the order would still be shelved and no one would have been doing anything about it. Ram customer service will be getting a few calls from me inquiring about how they are going to compensate me for the 30 days that my truck was ordered, deposit paid, and not getting built, and no one doing anything about it.

Moral of the story is, if you've ordered a bench seat recently keep on your order and make sure it is progressing. If it isn't, get to your dealer right away and have them look into it. Also, let me know if you get your bench seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts