RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so last week my 2016 engine took a dump with 110k miles on it. The dealer said it appeared that we ran over something and it caused our oil plug to bend which led to us losing oil and thus engine failure. Anyways our insurance company is covering a replacement engine and apparently used engines are more expensive then the new Mopar ones with a 3 year 100k warranty which I would rather have anyways. We will be #461 on the waiting list in the U.S. for the backordered engine has anyone else went thru this and is so how long was the wait? We will probably owe 2 to 3 grand for "betterage". which I am fine with as long as it's not taking a year to get in. This just sucks. I'm afraid they won't ever ship a motor and I'm just stuck at this point.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Ok so last week my 2016 engine took a dump with 110k miles on it. The dealer said it appeared that we ran over something and it caused our oil plug to bend which led to us losing oil and thus engine failure. Anyways our insurance company is covering a replacement engine and apparently used engines are more expensive then the new Mopar ones with a 3 year 100k warranty which I would rather have anyways. We will be #461 on the waiting list in the U.S. for the backordered engine has anyone else went thru this and is so how long was the wait? We will probably owe 2 to 3 grand for "betterage". which I am fine with as long as it's not taking a year to get in. This just sucks. I'm afraid they won't ever ship a motor and I'm just stuck at this point.
Hi: btpd449... Sorry... How long can you tread water?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi: btpd449... Sorry... How long can you tread water?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Not a issue of treading water as we have 2 other vehicles, I'm afraid there done making the engines. I was told we're #461 on the "priority" list but there are almost 1000 nation wide. My guess is there not going to be making the engine any longer. I am not so sure we ran over anything and believe they just could not fullfil their warranty because there are no engines available. We had a warranty till 120k.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,907 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hadn't heard they were stopping production. Seems kinda strange they'd stop production if there are many orders outstanding.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Part shortages around the world has probably hurt VM Motori and their ability to produce engines. That's only a guess, but it seems to be a common theme on many backordered items. Mopar is still taking orders for 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel engines with no ETA. I wouldn't worry about getting an engine. You'll get one, but it could take several months before arrival.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Have they shown you the damaged area? Surely you’d notice an oil trail if you ran over something.
If the insurance company will cover a used engine, can they find one? Hard to believe that you ran over something that damaged the drain plug, it's quite protected.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the insurance company will cover a used engine, can they find one? Hard to believe that you ran over something that damaged the drain plug, it's quite protected.
The dealer allegedly found one that had 90k on it and the adjuster sent me the quote that was just over 11k with my $250 deductible. They went to order and it was a V6 gas engine lol so we're kinda back to square 1 now. They did call me and say the dealer located a used one with 120k but the price was 12k for the engine alone. I would rather wait for the Mopar one and keep the truck. I'm afraid they won't make them anymore and I'll be stuck. There are about 1000 people in the US waiting for the engines right now. If they at least throw a used motor in there I can trade it in. I wonder if the gen 3's will fit lol

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
516 Posts
The dealer allegedly found one that had 90k on it and the adjuster sent me the quote that was just over 11k with my $250 deductible. They went to order and it was a V6 gas engine lol so we're kinda back to square 1 now. They did call me and say the dealer located a used one with 120k but the price was 12k for the engine alone. I would rather wait for the Mopar one and keep the truck. I'm afraid they won't make them anymore and I'll be stuck. There are about 1000 people in the US waiting for the engines right now. If they at least throw a used motor in there I can trade it in. I wonder if the gen 3's will fit lol
They have to provide parts and engines for all the 2nd gen ecodiesels still under warranty (as well as the likely huge amount of replacement engines under their 3 year warraties) so its pretty unlikely they are discontinuing them as they would have to then replace the warrantied trucks if there was an issue. buybacks like this have happened though with other lemon designs like one of the ford Sho models...
Its far more likely they are just going through the same manufacturing issues as everyone else and maybe dragging thier feet more on the 2nd gen ecodiesels in hopes that more of them are removed from service thus helping make the whole thing go away for FCA now that the new ecodiesels are more reliable. I would not accept a used ecodiesel engine personally I am also curious if what you were told was the real cause of failure on your truck and if it was the most common main bearing failure? you should have gotten an oil pressure light long before complete failure could occur unless you lost the plug entirely.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
They did call me and say the dealer located a used one with 120k but the price was 12k for the engine alone.
Just for the record, a new crate engine from Mopar costs $7,895.00. The engine is showing backordered with no ETA.

There are about 1000 people in the US waiting for the engines right now.
There's an EcoDiesel owner who lost an engine a few weeks ago. HIs dealer somehow sourced a new engine within 3 days and had it installed within a week!

Reactions: MR. TED and TwoBobs

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can have your insurance buy my entire truck 2014 bighorn w/ 250,000 on truck- only 65,000 on current engine. New tires, new wheel bearing in the past year, new injectors, def tanks been replaced once as well. Yada yada. 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This whole situation smells like 💩 to me. So like I mentioned earlier the adjuster was quoted 11K by the dealer for a used motor when the dealer had told me the price for a new one was around 14.5 that had the 3/100k warranty. Once I called the dealer asking if I could just pay the difference and get the new one he said their supplier messed up and quoted a gas engine. Anyways the adjuster wound up paying the dealership around 15,800 for an engine that will probably never be shipped out. The dealership already has the money and I’m sure will be in no hurry to fix the truck. He mentioned to me on the phone Tuesday that there were 3 dealerships that actually had that engine in stock and they would probably sell one to me. He said one was in California and said he couldn’t remember the other 2 locations. I told him to find out and I would call and plan a road trip, He didn’t call me today with that information of course. We will see what happens but my guess is we are screwed. He did send me pictures of the underside of the truck and it was covered in oil at the pan but I’m guessing that was from the hole in the block but who knows. I will say that I when I die, I will die having Geico insurance.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
516 Posts
This whole situation smells like 💩 to me. So like I mentioned earlier the adjuster was quoted 11K by the dealer for a used motor when the dealer had told me the price for a new one was around 14.5 that had the 3/100k warranty. Once I called the dealer asking if I could just pay the difference and get the new one he said their supplier messed up and quoted a gas engine. Anyways the adjuster wound up paying the dealership around 15,800 for an engine that will probably never be shipped out. The dealership already has the money and I’m sure will be in no hurry to fix the truck. He mentioned to me on the phone Tuesday that there were 3 dealerships that actually had that engine in stock and they would probably sell one to me. He said one was in California and said he couldn’t remember the other 2 locations. I told him to find out and I would call and plan a road trip, He didn’t call me today with that information of course. We will see what happens but my guess is we are screwed. He did send me pictures of the underside of the truck and it was covered in oil at the pan but I’m guessing that was from the hole in the block but who knows. I will say that I when I die, I will die having Geico insurance.
price went way up because the insurance is paying for it... Its reasons like this the insurance is so high to begin with.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
He mentioned to me on the phone Tuesday that there were 3 dealerships that actually had that engine in stock and they would probably sell one to me.
This doesn't surprise me. There have been others who recently got new engines installed right away, so there are a few engines out there.

I will say that I when I die, I will die having Geico insurance.
That's great to hear that Geico covered it without batting an eye. I also agree that your engine most likely has a hole in the block due to a failed engine, but you will benefit from incompetence this time around. (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts