RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Have you had battery or charging warnings?

How many have had battery or charging warnings or issues? Please vote either way. Gen 3 only.

10K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  SlowRoller 
#1 ·
I'm at about 650 miles on the '22. Every time I start or turn off the engine, I get the "Battery needs attention" message, although I've never had a problem starting it (down to 20 F). The dealership found no problems with the battery or alternator. I'm skeptical that the message didn't pop up when they drove it out of the bay, then retrieved it from the satellite lot.

Perhaps it's unrelated, but the voltage display varies from about 12.9 to 14.4 when driving. I have read that it is designed to do that to use less fuel when accelerating or climbing a hill. There is a thread from GDE mentioning that some trailer batteries have been drained while being towed by a Gen 3! The voltage reads about 12 when I shut off the engine.

I'd like to know how widespread this issue is and whether anyone has had a successful fix.

#3 ·
No warnings on mine. But I do have a charger under the hood so that when I plug in the engine block heater I also get a few hours of charging at the same time.

No warnings in my summer or winter, but I noticed the charger always thinks the battery is below 75%. Apparently it and the truck don't agree on what a fully charge battery should be.

#5 ·
How are you reading voltages? I use a good quality volt/ohm/amp clamp meter.

Also, just a way out thought, try unhooking the batteries from the ground post, and wait ten minutes, and hook back up, just for grins and giggles. Sort of a "reboot" thing.

Also, start looking around for loose ground lugs to the frame. There are many under the hood.

#6 ·
How are you reading voltages? I use a good quality volt/ohm/amp clamp meter.

Also, just a way out thought, try unhooking the batteries from the ground post, and wait ten minutes, and hook back up, just for grins and giggles. Sort of a "reboot" thing.

Also, start looking around for loose ground lugs to the frame. There are many under the hood.
I'm just looking at the EVIC voltmeter. Hopefully it's more accurate than the MPG "lie-O-meter"!

#9 ·
Out of a small sampling, almost 30% have had battery problem messages, while 12% have had problems starting. It's far from a universal problem but does indicate a problem with the new generation. I plan to take mine back in and try to get them to change the battery. I described the issue to a service writer at another dealer when I had the old truck in; he said it could be "lot rot" from sitting around before being sold. I doubt the truck sat around that long, but perhaps the battery did.

I still want to hear from others what voltage shows on the EVIC if you turn it to Run without starting it.

#10 ·
I just picked mine up from service dept with 300 miles and less than 1 week old. Daily charge error messages, check engine light, water in diesel light and 2 no starts where a jump was required. they could not find an issue and tell me a software push that went out on the 25th may fix it....it can take up to 30 days for the truck to update itself...and the dealer can't do it. None of this sounds right to me. I can see a software update fixing a faulty battery message...but not a draining battery...unless maybe a module is not shutting of which is causing the drain. I am going to call Ram tomorrow. Brand new $74k truck that is not reliably going to start and no one seems to care. Dishonest sales dept cleared the check engine light when I picked the truck up and told me it was nothing, just a battery that had a low charge from being on their lot for only 4 weeks. Shame on me for believing them.

#12 ·
That's frustrating. When did you get the update? There is an update that came out 11/25 that is supposed to fix these issues, so I hope that's not the one that caused your problems!!! You are putting on the miles!

#16 ·
That's bad news. From what someone else said, that was after the supposed fix was being applied! That is to say, that may be the update that is supposed to fix my issues!

#17 ·
So far, no one has told me what voltage the EVIC shows before starting the engine. I would like to hear from people who do or who don't get the battery message, please. Mine now reads 11.6V after sitting for about a week.

#20 ·
22 Laramie. 26k miles. 6 months of ownership.

So I’ve been monitoring for a couple weeks now. I would consistently see 12.5-12.6 volts on the EVIC when I park it after work, and it’s measured the same with a Fluke MultiMeter.

12 hours later when I get in to go back to work I’m seeing 11.9-12.1. If it’s a weekend and it goes 18+ hours I’ve seen as low as 11.7v. Also confirmed with a MultiMeter. Truck doesn’t ever sit unused for much more than that.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change yesterday and asked them to take a look. They did a quick test of the battery and it looks like battery is bad. But in order for them to warranty it I need to bring it back tomorrow and let them do the full battery test.

Seems to me it started in middle of November after a radio update. When driving I see 13.0-14.6 on the EVIC. I drive about 1.5-2 hours each way to work 5-6 days a week. The alternator should have plenty of time to keep the battery topped up.

#19 ·
I got a battery warning today. Battery is at 12.2V. Yesterday an attempt to do an over the air update occurred. Not certain if it completed or not. There was no message about waiting or if it had completed.

I am appalled at how poor the quality of software is today. instead of software engineering we have endless iterative cycles by “coders” who don’t know what analysis and design are.

#21 ·
I got a battery warning today. Battery is at 12.2V. Yesterday an attempt to do an over the air update occurred. Not certain if it completed or not. There was no message about waiting or if it had completed.
Was that 12.2V before starting it? You didn't have any warnings before the update? Assuming that's the case, this is why I am waiting to take mine in until I have reason to believe that they have fixed the software issue.

#24 ·
Mine was in the driveway unused for 5 days. The Battery Voltage PRIOR to Startup was 12.1 upon STARTUP
jumped to 12.9 when truck put in Gear and moved at idle speed jumped to 13.5. Upon shutdown I got the following warning message. In my case I believe these are false warning based on Voltages I am witnessing.
Watch Car Gauge Speedometer Automotive design

Car Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Trip computer
Car Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Trip computer
Watch Car Gauge Speedometer Automotive design
Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Font Gas

Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Font Gas

#25 ·
Mine was in the driveway unused for 5 days. The Battery Voltage PRIOR to Startup was 12.1 upon STARTUP
jumped to 12.9 when truck put in Gear and moved at idle speed jumped to 13.5. Upon shutdown I got the following warning message. In my case I believe these are false warning based on Voltages I am witnessing. View attachment 93366

View attachment 93365 View attachment 93366
View attachment 93368
Your picture with 12.1V is showing the motor idling. I'd like to know what it was before starting. To show it before starting, I had to press the "OK" button after putting it in "Run". Strangely, it read11.8V after reading 11.6V yesterday--not started in between.

Speedometer Vehicle Car White Motor vehicle

#28 ·
2022 Limited. Took delivery 1 month ago, 1200 miles.

About 1/3 of starts/shutdown, I get the “Battery Alert: Your vehicle’s Battery requires attention. Press call for assistance.”
I did use UConnect to call once and received a rep who was thoroughly confused.

Additionally, I less frequently get the “Calibration Failed” error message in the cluster.

#29 ·
ok here is a temp fix that is working tested by my dealer numerous times.

look in your main screen under settings / notifications it will list all messages. now you must manually delete all messages individually.

Shut off the truck for a min of 2 min then restart and all should be fixed.

If u get the message again do the same procedure that removes it from continues reoccurrence.

Good Luck

#32 ·
I took my truck into the dealership offer the weekend to get it checked. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and couldn't reproduce the service battery warning I saw on my 12" uconnect screen. They have no idea about this issue.

I also had them check to make sure it didn't have a coolant leak as when these alerts started on the app I noticed a sweet smell like something was burning after driving. Lady that checked me in at the service department said she smelled it too. But service paper work says all fluids are good.

2 month old '22 Laramie

#33 ·
@RamCares, 46% of Gen 3 owners here have reported getting alerts and warnings of battery problems. A smaller percentage have reported starting problems. Some have reported the problems started after a firmware update and some have been told it is supposed to be solved by a firmware update. Can you talk to the tech support who should be working on this? Can you tell me if a solution has been found? I don't even think it's worth it for me to take mine in until I have confidence that the problem has been identified and can be fixed. That's pretty sad for a vehicle with about 700 miles on it! Most of the vehicles involved are less than a year old.

#36 ·
We'd love to look into this for you guys! If you're experiencing battery concerns, please DM us with your VIN!

Callie
Ram Cares

#34 ·
I wrote on 11/29 - I still have no truck. it has been at the dealer since. not even 250 miles. It is discouraging the lack of support we get after such a large purchase. I have a Case opened with Ram - and am told engineering is working on it, but I bought this truck almost 1 month ago and have never had it work. Ram says the dealer should swap it out. The dealer does not care and disagrees. Not much I can do I guess until we hit 30 days. dealer is going to try a new battery and see if it is just a bad battery, even though it tests fine. will know more next week.

#35 ·
That's the shits! Do you mean that RAM says the dealer should swap for a working truck? That would be drastic, but probably called for if you can't use this one. They should give you a month's payment or something even if they get it fixed. Does your local TV news station have a muck-raking reporter to do a report on it? They might have a sudden change of heart if their customer service got too much attention!

#37 ·
I found this on an FB group. Some folks report that an OTA update has fixed it, but I haven't driven mine so I'm not sure if I'm done with it.

Font Paper Paper product Document Parallel

#38 ·
Hey @SlowRoller ,

We see you found this Star Case! This should be the one to assist your dealer with fixing this concern with you!

Callie
Ram Cares

#39 ·
It says they haven't found a fix yet, which is discouraging. Also, I can't tell if that star case is 1 day old or 20 days old since it doesn't have the date it came out. How close are they to a fix?

#44 ·
You are one of a few who seemed to have it fixed--until it wasn't! RamCares just told me they don't have a fix yet. "At this time, we don't have an ETA for a fix, however sending over your VIN is extremely helpful as it assists with us documenting the number of people who are experiencing this issue. We can also get you some technical support while your vehicle is at the dealer." I don't think it's worth taking mine in again until they have a fix!

Reactions: Uprising
#67 ·
I’ve been running the @GDE tune on my ‘22 for a few days now. Haven’t gotten the battery system error once and also haven’t plugged in the battery maintainer once. I’m thinking of taking it off the truck to be honest. Granted, this isn’t long term data, but it’s promising.
I spoke too soon. After running some errands yesterday I got the charging system alert after I parked the truck in the driveway for the night.
I had intended to put a fluke on it this morning before leaving, but I was running late and forgot. So I don’t know the actual state of the battery right now. I’ll pay attention better going forward.

That said. I agree with @SlowRoller, it’s ridiculous

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.