RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Have you had battery or charging warnings?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at about 650 miles on the '22. Every time I start or turn off the engine, I get the "Battery needs attention" message, although I've never had a problem starting it (down to 20 F). The dealership found no problems with the battery or alternator. I'm skeptical that the message didn't pop up when they drove it out of the bay, then retrieved it from the satellite lot.

Perhaps it's unrelated, but the voltage display varies from about 12.9 to 14.4 when driving. I have read that it is designed to do that to use less fuel when accelerating or climbing a hill. There is a thread from GDE mentioning that some trailer batteries have been drained while being towed by a Gen 3! The voltage reads about 12 when I shut off the engine.

I'd like to know how widespread this issue is and whether anyone has had a successful fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No warnings on mine. But I do have a charger under the hood so that when I plug in the engine block heater I also get a few hours of charging at the same time.

No warnings in my summer or winter, but I noticed the charger always thinks the battery is below 75%. Apparently it and the truck don't agree on what a fully charge battery should be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No problems with mine yet. Only 190 miles though. I do notice when I hit the start button there is a delay but figure that is normal. First time owner with the Eco-Diesel. So, I would know no difference.
That delay is nothing compared to my tdi. It takes forever to warm up the glow plugs some days. I am amazed how fast the ecodiesel starts.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,951 Posts
I'm at about 650 miles on the '22. Every time I start or turn off the engine, I get the "Battery needs attention" message, although I've never had a problem starting it (down to 20 F). The dealership found no problems with the battery or alternator. I'm skeptical that the message didn't pop up when they drove it out of the bay, then retrieved it from the satellite lot.

Perhaps it's unrelated, but the voltage display varies from about 12.9 to 14.4 when driving. I have read that it is designed to do that to use less fuel when accelerating or climbing a hill. There is a thread from GDE mentioning that some trailer batteries have been drained while being towed by a Gen 3! The voltage reads about 12 when I shut off the engine.

I'd like to know how widespread this issue is and whether anyone has had a successful fix.
How are you reading voltages? I use a good quality volt/ohm/amp clamp meter.

Also, just a way out thought, try unhooking the batteries from the ground post, and wait ten minutes, and hook back up, just for grins and giggles. Sort of a "reboot" thing.

Also, start looking around for loose ground lugs to the frame. There are many under the hood.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also, just a way out thought, try unhooking the batteries from the ground post, and wait ten minutes, and hook back up, just for grins and giggles. Sort of a "reboot" thing.

Also, start looking around for loose ground lugs to the frame. There are many under the hood.
I'm just looking at the EVIC voltmeter. Hopefully it's more accurate than the MPG "lie-O-meter"!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After it sat for three days, EVIC shows 11.9V before starting. With a pretty good (I think) voltmeter, I got 12.2V at the battery. Depending on which reading is right, my battery is at or below borderline, based on these statements.
"With the engine off, the fully charged car battery voltage will measure 12.6 volts."
"...while the car is off and the battery is resting, the multimeter display should show a reading of 12.2 to 12.6 volts (full charge)."

Perhaps some of you could share what your EVIC reads before you start the engine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of a small sampling, almost 30% have had battery problem messages, while 12% have had problems starting. It's far from a universal problem but does indicate a problem with the new generation. I plan to take mine back in and try to get them to change the battery. I described the issue to a service writer at another dealer when I had the old truck in; he said it could be "lot rot" from sitting around before being sold. I doubt the truck sat around that long, but perhaps the battery did.

I still want to hear from others what voltage shows on the EVIC if you turn it to Run without starting it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked mine up from service dept with 300 miles and less than 1 week old. Daily charge error messages, check engine light, water in diesel light and 2 no starts where a jump was required. they could not find an issue and tell me a software push that went out on the 25th may fix it....it can take up to 30 days for the truck to update itself...and the dealer can't do it. None of this sounds right to me. I can see a software update fixing a faulty battery message...but not a draining battery...unless maybe a module is not shutting of which is causing the drain. I am going to call Ram tomorrow. Brand new $74k truck that is not reliably going to start and no one seems to care. Dishonest sales dept cleared the check engine light when I picked the truck up and told me it was nothing, just a battery that had a low charge from being on their lot for only 4 weeks. Shame on me for believing them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts